UT2004 - Skinpack - Flytag - Necris Skin Pack 2

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

So, what do you people think of this?

• Total voters

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
Skin/Model Name: Necris Skin Pack 2
UT(99/2k3/2k4): UT2004 retail+
System Requirements: None specified / Not applicable
Author: Flytag
Download: SkinCity 10.6MB

Screenshot:

[SCREENSHOT]http://skincity.beyondunreal.com/src/img_skins/pic2_id2154.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Support (SP/MP/Both): Both - Single Player and Multiplayer
Support (Team Colours) (None/2/4): 4 TCs
Known Issues: None
Additional Info: Loosely based on the original Necris skins from Unreal Tournament

The pack includes 5 body textures and 8 head textures

Editor(s) Used: Adobe Photoshop 7, uPaint, Jafo's BotManager & UnrealEd 3.0
Build Time: Forever!

REVIEW

I'll start off by admitting I've never been a fan of the Necris since UT first came out. In fact, I can't even remember most of them... So, that said, I was pleasently surprised while on a downloading spree of skins and models to come across this pack by Flytag. I found it so good in fact that rather than rooting through 100+ DVDs/CDs of UT2k4 content to find it, I simply downloaded it again because this pack always begged for a review. Let's get to it!

The Good:

Of all the characters in the pack (6 males, 2 females) the males are easily the best.

Adrik and Marduk are simply awesome and imho the best Jugg skins to date. Nothing else I've seen even comes close. No dreaded hack jobs (taking parts of one skin and putting it on another) and no dreaded recolours here. This is all very well made and hand crafted for the most part. These two characters alone simply make the pack a must have! One thing about these two is they look more like characters from Kiss (heavy metal band) than what I remember the Necris looking like. That said, these look much much better!

Of the mercs, Eirien is a very nice reskin of Wraith/Torch;

Grail (same model) looks really good - like he just got out of rehab after many years in a penal colony fighting to survive. He looks like a real thug! His face in the editor looks particularly well done with the veins popping out of his head.

All are available as the player's character in Single Player mode which is a plus and another plus is that the bios are written into the .upl file so no need for editing xplayers info. Also, all abilities are manually tweaked.

All LOD's that I looked at were set correctly. Excellent use of a simple shader (for shine fx).

Lots of info in the ReadMe re. how this pack came about, etc.

The Bad:

Lydia (Hellions Female model) is pretty ordinary though her saving grace is her nice tattoos.

Malise (ThunderCrash Female model) isn't very good either imho.

Malakai (Mercenary male model) - People who like Brock will like him. I always found Brock ugly so Malakai's the same in my eyes (Doesn't make it a badly skinned face though - just not to my tastes).

Necrotic (Mercenary male model) - This guy's a little too white and frankly looks more like a drag queen after too many late nights.

Some of the characters appear more white than others and I was surprised to see one had pupils while the others didn't so it could have been better.

Background of the portraits is a gaudy horrible thing. No installation instructions for the not so wise is always a bad thing.

The Bottom Line:

Don't judge the pack by the pic (see above). As I said, the Juggs particularly and two of the mercs to a lesser extent make the pack. The rest I could live without. It appeals to me because it's a great piece of skinning. Simple textured skins don't appeal to me and a little bling goes a long way in my eyes. It's also more professional. This pack is exactly that - professional. One of the best skin packs made for 2k4.

On a side note, I saw this pack long after making my own necris Marduk skin and the name was pure coincidence. Hence my updated one(s).

TOTAL SCORE: 8.35/10

Last edited:

UTGirl

Link(gun) Lady
Another very nice review by klas! I agree with you, Brock and this Malakai are simply ugly. It would have been better to make it look more like UT(99)`s Malakai. Anyways, a good set of skins and one of the best Necris around.

For me it totaly deserves a total score of 7/10

Last edited by a moderator: