What cool shit do you think we'll have in 2020?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
If you think about how far we are compared to the year 2000 now. I think 2020 will be neat.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
2000 with fast internet = better than now

If you think about how far we are compared to the year 2000 now.

Really? Some more shiny electronic stuff. DLCs fucking up gaming. Big-name internet companies fucking up our privacy. Spiralling oil and food prices. Collapsing economies worldwide. Ever-increasing population rates.

Give me back 2000.

Last edited:

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
Really? Some more shiny electronic stuff. DLCs fucking up gaming. Big-name internet companies fucking up our privacy. Spiralling oil and food prices. Collapsing economies worldwide. Ever-increasing population rates.

Give me back 2000.

You really want to relive 8 years of this guy?

260505bush.jpg

All that stuff you listed, aside from the game and internet stuff, has been around since the dawn of societies. If you want to relieve yourself from some of the various pains in the ass of life do things like buy local or non-corporate things. That's what I do. My food is cheap and fresh, grown and raised a few miles from my house. My games aren't the 5th sequels of crap, they're made by indie developers who give a shit about people supporting them. My internet comes from a local company I can actually call and threaten to leave when they try to raise their prices. If you don't have access to some of this stuff, move.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I don't know if it will be ready by 2020, but I can't wait for the arrival of all-in-one, fully integrated, hands-free, personal internet and media devices.

you know, like a pair of stylish glasses that you can wear in any light, indoors or out, that provide you with your own personal HUD wherever you go. augmented vision through a retinal display in one eye (so that the other eye still provides awareness and depth perception) that allows you to browse the internet or make phone calls while you walk around during your day. you can also receive live/streaming information about locations that are around you.

so yeah, basically a personal HUD that acts like a personal computer, tailored to the individual. it has GPS, full internet browsing capability, full cell phone capability, full MP3 player capability, etc. if you're walking around New York for instance, and you want information about Broadway, your personal HUD will collect and stream data right in front of you: statistics, trivia, schedules, pictures, video, audio samples, etc.

and in the even more distant future, this personal HUD will be fully integrated with your nervous system.
they might install this on the side of your head and it will link to your own neural network. they won't have to "project" the internet and video and GPS visuals over your retina, they will literally appear in your field of vision integrated with your natural sight. the data will be sent to your brain. and this way you won't even need headphones for the MP3 player. when you want to listen to music, you simply "press" play, and suddenly you're hearing the music inside your head as if you were wearing extremely high quality professional headphones.

it's all linked into your own brain's neural network.
seamless.

Last edited:

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
a dead bieber...

Yeah; I can hardly wait for that guy to do a River Phoenix. From what I've seen in the press in recent times it looks like he's well on his way........

Give me back 2000.
...and what he said.

Danja

Mar 16, 2008
Near Toronto (Canada)
The internet will be tamed.

We had a good run, the internet and the world. For a couple decades we experienced the biggest fundamental change in our society for a century and a boom in creativity and culture that hadn't ever happened on that kind of scale. It was dangerous, with viruses and pedophiles making those early years of bulletin boards and ICQ sort of risky for my young self. What we gained, however, was amazing. Exposure to ideas that we never might have even heard of before, access to music and books- and later movies and games- on a tremendous scale. We were cruising cyber space with the console cowboys, and cyber-space was an endless place full of intrigue and danger.

That's over now. We won't get it back. The internet of the future will be a lot more like the real world. Corporations control everything, governments will fit policy to those corporate interests, everyone's online behaviour will be more tightly monitored. Piracy and the like will still exist, but the laws will enforce much harsher penalties upon pirates and it will get much easier to get caught, allowing only a bold minority of current pirates to keep sharing files.

Social networks and awful communities like Reddit or 9gag will keep the masses pacified with humor that appeals to idiots. Forums like this will likely still exist but they'll get less popular as everything becomes integrated with social networks.

But hey, graphics are going to get pimp.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
I don't know if it will be ready by 2020, but I can't wait for the arrival of all-in-one, fully integrated, hands-free, personal internet and media devices.

you know, like a pair of stylish glasses that you can wear in any light, indoors or out, that provide you with your own personal HUD wherever you go. augmented vision through a retinal display in one eye (so that the other eye still provides awareness and depth perception) that allows you to browse the internet or make phone calls while you walk around during your day. you can also receive live/streaming information about locations that are around you.

so yeah, basically a personal HUD that acts like a personal computer, tailored to the individual. it has GPS, full internet browsing capability, full cell phone capability, full MP3 player capability, etc. if you're walking around New York for instance, and you want information about Broadway, your personal HUD will collect and stream data right in front of you: statistics, trivia, schedules, pictures, video, audio samples, etc.

You just explained Google's glass project. I still wanna know how something like that is going to work. The human eye cannot focus on something so close to it. So how do you read a screen that's less than an inch away from your eye? Does it somehow project an image into thin air in front of you?

edit - Some explanation here. I guess it is possible. I just wanna know how. http://www.tested.com/news/43897-googles-project-glass-and-the-problem-of-focus/

Last edited:

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
The internet will be tamed.

We had a good run, the internet and the world. For a couple decades we experienced the biggest fundamental change in our society for a century and a boom in creativity and culture that hadn't ever happened on that kind of scale. It was dangerous, with viruses and pedophiles making those early years of bulletin boards and ICQ sort of risky for my young self. What we gained, however, was amazing. Exposure to ideas that we never might have even heard of before, access to music and books- and later movies and games- on a tremendous scale. We were cruising cyber space with the console cowboys, and cyber-space was an endless place full of intrigue and danger.

That's over now. We won't get it back. The internet of the future will be a lot more like the real world. Corporations control everything, governments will fit policy to those corporate interests, everyone's online behaviour will be more tightly monitored. Piracy and the like will still exist, but the laws will enforce much harsher penalties upon pirates and it will get much easier to get caught, allowing only a bold minority of current pirates to keep sharing files.

Social networks and awful communities like Reddit or 9gag will keep the masses pacified with humor that appeals to idiots. Forums like this will likely still exist but they'll get less popular as everything becomes integrated with social networks.

But hey, graphics are going to get pimp.

I hate to say it but you are probably right. Also privacy, either real world or on-line, probably won't exist.

Things are fucked up enough now........ but social networking will have produced a society of gullible idiots that we can barely imagine by 2020.