fair? or not?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

icarus_88

Mar 23, 2004
if you saw someone afk would you attack them? you see it all the time and i have to admit ive done it a few times but it gets a bit stupid when your stats are 0-4 be4 you've even entered the game properly :mad: what are your thoughts?

spineblaZe

VFX Extraordinaire
Apr 8, 2003
MN
Visit site
For the longest time I would always pass up shooting somone who was AFK. However, one can only take so much of getting shot in the back.

He who stands still will get a free death courtesy of spineblaZe. No need to thank me. :D

wildfrogman

Sep 30, 2001
usa
Visit site
I think its fair if they get fragged because they are in game. If they dont want to get shot they should spectate or something. If I see somebody just standing still I shoot them because they could just be pretending then turn and shoot me. Also... afk players can really mess with team balance.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Depends on the situation where they're idle and such. If you have the flag and go idle I WILL kill you. If you are sitting a the spawn idle i'll probly kill you. If you're somewhere in your base in the middle of nowhere nothings going on around you etc, you're just typing or something I'll leave you alone. If it's 1on1 I'll leave you alone. I don't get gratification from getting a kill I didn't deserve, but if it's CTF I'll do what I need to help my team, and if you're being stupid I'll do it.

The Dopefish

Eat your veggies!
Apr 17, 2000
Springfield, MA, USA
I usually give guys who are idle/AFK a shot or two as a sort of penalty for being AFK and not dead.

Most servers have click-to-respawn on so killing them is fair anyway.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I see so many people in pub ONS games that just HAVE to be AFK. I mean how do 3 or 4 people end up a 15 minute game with 0 points? It drives me nuts because teams won't even up as long as the player slots are equal in number.

Leave the game and then we're ALL happy.

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
I remember playing ONS-Torlan once. 2 players spawned at the spawn points near the Hellbender. I got in the Hellbender and honked to offer them a ride. They remained stationary, so I left without them.

10 minutes later, our team is already attacking the enemy power core, and of course, those two people were still there.

KaiSeun

UT Guy
May 16, 2004
afk or not, they are still targets for anyone who doesn't recognize them as afk. But for those that do, it's a free kill.

BubblesBubbles

May 22, 2004
Depends on how they are behaving on the server. I feel better about myself when I dont kill them, but I will fire a couple of shots just to remind them there is a food chain.

Edenslayer

Mr.44
Mar 8, 2001
Leawood, KS
Visit site
Whatever happened to the fake death command from the original UT? I used to use that all the time when I got a phone call or had to go AFK for a minute or two. :) Was also fun to do it underneath a pickup like the big keg o health and stand up when you see someone coming and give them a surprise. :p Or occasionally I would fake death so I could spectate a teammember to see where they were.

That said, whether I kill someone idling/afk depends on the situation. If a new map was just recently started, I don't even take a pot shot at them because I know they're probably still loading the map. If they're still there five minutes later though, I may toss grenades at them or get an easy telefrag. :) For the most part though I avoid killing idle/afk people even though I hate that they're idle/afk and screwing up the team balance worse than it probably already is. The only thing more lame than being afk/idle in a game is being the kind of person who will run around and kill those people over and over again for easy points.

If I can tell someone is typing something I try to avoid shooting them and may even stop and apologize if I do hit them and its someone I consider a respectable player.

ReLiK

Waiting to spawn....
Dec 21, 2003
just as there is a typing animation, there should be an idling animation....

eg someone staring at their gun and scratching their head...