Epic Pres: PC A Primary Platform Again

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
XFire delivers that for me. In fact, it delivers everything else that Steam has, minus the distribution and DRM.
I used to use Xfire until it got even more ads, even crappier UI design, and started partnering with all kind of pointless companies. Then,it finally got to the point where it was slow and the in-game overlay was miles behind everyone else.

I use Raptr to augment Steam and have no complaints, really. The Raptr in-game overlay is much nicer and it supports other chat clients (MSN/Yahoo/GTalk/etc). Raptr was also started by the guy that founded Xfire.

Fallout 3, GTA 4, BioShock 2, Bulletstorm, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Section 8, Street Fighter 4, Red Faction: Guerrilla, Dead Rising 2, and a bunch of others.
Egg. On my face.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
The ad at the top doesn't bother me much, and I don't see many more ads there. The skins can be changed easily, and I don't see how it's slow. Oh, and on Linux, I use Pidgin with gFire, which doesn't have any of the issues you mentioned in exchange for the lack of XIG.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
I don't have to wait because I leave Steam running while I'm at work. Everything is usually patched and ready for me when I get home unless I have to pull in something new.

So I have to waste resources constantly just so that I don't have to wait for steam to update itself or the game when I want to play it.
No dice.

~50 Mb is a drop in the ocean when you're running 4 GB system.

You sure this isn't Vista/7 doing a disk defrag when system is idle?

Clean start, no downloads going on:
a0zy94.png

It only gets worse when I click the "Store" button, whent back to "games" and minimized to tray. After a bunch of minutes:
5000o7.png

Hasn't affected me personally in 7 years.

Me neither. But I don't like the idea of being subjected to the whims of a commercial entity.

Last edited:

Teridax

Fresh meat.
Nov 2, 2008
Not really - Steam actually works, whereas much of the time GFWL doesn't, making your purchases unplayable.

Steam does that too. If I go on Steam and my internet gets disconnected, I can't go into offline mode, because Steam says I need to be online for it to actually work.

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
Steam does that too. If I go on Steam and my internet gets disconnected, I can't go into offline mode, because Steam says I need to be online for it to actually work.

Well, I'm talking about the software itself not working, because it's a flaky, broken piece of crap.

It only gets worse when I click the "Store" button, whent back to "games" and minimized to tray. After a bunch of minutes:

The usage definitely starts to creep up.

Upon start it only uses around 15, but ten minutes later of doing NOTHING with it (sitting in the tray, all social features turned off), it will be at 100.
After using it to look at my library, or after shutting down a Steam game, it will go to around 150 and stay there.

Not too bad, I guess, but I wonder if they could trim it down some.

(actually Firefox is using 200mb right now with only one tab open :lol: )

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
a0zy94.png

5000o7.png
It's pretty obvious that Steam hardly uses any RAM, but it does reserve quite a bit for seemingly no reason. I've brought that up to Valve before, and their answer is always that Steam releases reserved memory whenever it is requested.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
It's pretty obvious that Steam hardly uses any RAM, but it does reserve quite a bit for seemingly no reason. I've brought that up to Valve before, and their answer is always that Steam releases reserved memory whenever it is requested.

I think 150MB RAM is a shit load of RAM needed for DRM.
Also, private bytes are there to stay until the application release it. There is no such thing as an OS requesting applications to use less memory. Sure, the 150MB might be swapped to disk instead of RAM, but that's not really more desirable.

CyMek

Dead but not gone.
Jan 4, 2004
cymek.deviantart.com
Hey, alright! Epic is coming back to the PC, at least until they decide somewhere else is more profitable again and throw the PC gamers back under the bus again. Whew, what good news.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Almost constant disk activity even when you're not doing anything (I'm pretty sure it's caused by the half shitty browser)?
Sure, the in-game browser is nice (specially to look up a walkthrough to get past that impossible part in the game).
Last I knew Steam just links up to InternetExplorer for the net browsing

MÆST

Jan 28, 2001
WA, USA
I think we can expect PC development to come in waves based on how long a generation of consoles has been on the market. The 360 and PS3 are significantly behind the latest gaming PCs in performance and I expect PC games to get more attention at least until the next generation of consoles are released.

Vaginal Epiphany

Jun 11, 2010

That's odd. Whenever Steam is unable to go online (due to me being late on my internet payments) it always gives me an option to start in offline mode. Haven't noticed any loss of functionality in any of my single player games.

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
That's odd. Whenever Steam is unable to go online (due to me being late on my internet payments) it always gives me an option to start in offline mode. Haven't noticed any loss of functionality in any of my single player games.

really? That hasn't happened to me yet (losing connection while gaming on Steam), but now I have hope if it does.
Actually, it's pretty darned awesome.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
whatever that is. It just opens up Firefox over here.

er, by "net browsing", you are referring to browsing the net, right? Yeah, that's what it does, er, what it doesn't do actually.

edit
huh?

Last edited:

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
I think it's just using your system's default browser, whichever that happens to be. Used to be Opera on my old PC where I couldn't use Firefox because it crashes with bluescreens. Now I have a new one, am back to Firefox, so Steam is using that if I click a link leading somewhere outside of steam.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I think it's just using your system's default browser, whichever that happens to be. Used to be Opera on my old PC where I couldn't use Firefox because it crashes with bluescreens. Now I have a new one, am back to Firefox, so Steam is using that if I click a link leading somewhere outside of steam.
That's for external links from the client, we're talking about the browser used within the client and in the overlay.