IDE troubleshooting

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NiftyBoy

Dandified
Mar 29, 2001
Portland, OR
Visit site
i have two hard-drives, both of which worked before i tried to change my motherboard. after i changed back since the motherboard didnt work too well, only one hard-drive is properly detected. my operating system hard-drive will only be detected if it's by itself and the slave jumper is set. if i had the other hard-drive in, the computer wouldn't boot up. setting the OS hard-drive as master and the secondy hard-drive as slave, and hooking up the cable accordingly as well as having the right jumpers set also resulted in a failed boot.

i've tried all sorts of combinations of jumpers and cable connections. none of them has allowed me to use both hard-drives again, and as it stands i can only use the OS hard-drive, which doesn't have any of my games on it :p

my system specs:
motherboard: asus a7v266-e with latest bios and via 4-in-1 hyperion drivers
hard-drive 1 (OS): Maxtor 52049H3
hard-drive 2 (other stuff): western digital 20gb something
operating system: windows xp home

btw, reformatting the second hard drive is definately not an option :)

hope someone can help :(

DeaJae

taking a month's break
May 7, 2001
England
www.littleportitservices.co.uk
check your cable is ATA66/100 (80 pin conductor) and the blue end is on the board, grey in your Master/fastest drive and the other in the other drive. also try seperating the drives, one on Primary, one on secondary.

Maxtor has tons of diagnostic tools. have you tried them?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
If you have another you can test it in to make sure it is working properly that would be nice.

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
Set your both harddrives on the primary ide-chanel and set the jumpers to cable-select.
For some reason Western Digitals drives prefer to be set as CS.
I had to do it myself with my WD.

NiftyBoy

Dandified
Mar 29, 2001
Portland, OR
Visit site
i put my stuff back on the nforce2 motherboard to give it another shot, and it worked. but now i have the same no-western-digital-drive detection problem. how do i put both of my harddrives on the primary ide channel? i assume that's the ide-1 connector on the motherboard, which it's already connect to now anyway =\

so far only two setups seem to work, and neither has the WDC working.

1. wdc is set to CS, maxtor to slave, cable is connected accordingly.
2. wdc is set to slave, maxtor to master, cable is connected accordingly.

hope you guys can help :(

edit: i just tried a whole bunch of cable + jumper combinations, none of which worked btw. here's a list (first is maxtor, second is wd):

Code:
Cables      Jumpers         Result
S M          S CS             failed IDE detection for both
S M          S M               no wd
S M          M S               failed IDE detection for both
M S          S CS              no wd
M S          M CS              no wd
M S          M S                failed IDE detection for both
M S          M M                no wd

btw, the first in the list is what worked on my old motherboard.

btw again, in every instance that the maxtor was detected, it showed up as slave, even if the jumper or cable should have made it master.

Last edited by a moderator:

NiftyBoy

Dandified
Mar 29, 2001
Portland, OR
Visit site
guess what fixed it? cutting the first pin wire of the ide cable. apparently it's a common problem with 8rda+ motherboards and wd hard-drives. seems kind of strange, but i dont know anything about ide wires n such :p

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The first pin is power so this makes no sense...do you mean the last pin? Otherwise you may have problems later on :/