Problems

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[3PMP]-Devios

Feb 4, 2002
Hey all,

Have tried Infiltration a few times and think it's a great game. The only problem is that it crashes and lag spikes to hell and back to the point where I can't even enjoy playing it. The crashes, I have no frikkin' clue on; I hope someone can help - the lag spikes I've researched, and have some advice:

Lag Spikes:
Finally got a knowlegable tech on the phone from my cable modem service provider. Problem is that I get l33t-ass pings to the servers, but lag spike every 20 seconds or so. Tech says approx. this:

'cable modems are good for bursts of data - ie: the few lines of text required to display a web page. Cable service speeds drastically change from faster than a T3 to slower than a T1 and back again in a matter of seconds and the fluctuations never stop. The only way to reduce lag spikes in games and streaming apps is if the application itself has an optimized packet scheduling or data delivery algoritm, as does Apple's QuickTime player, for instance.'

So here's the suggestion: A UT-optimized packet scheduler for the millions that have cable modems would make an F-load of people happy little inf minions. DO IT!!!

As for the crashes, I am running a (not overclocked) Thunderbird 900MHz on a KT133 chipset, 768MB PC-133 SD-RAM, GeForce2GTS 4x AGP card, SoundBlaster Live, ASUS A7V mobo, 400W AMD-approved PS, Maxtor 30GB 7200RPM ATA-100 drive, and WinBlows 2000... I have every latest driver, security patch, bios update imaginable.

I can play Quake 3, RTCW, or Counter-Strike all frikkin' day and NEVER crash. I've never played UT or Infiltration for more than 20 minutes without getting a Blue Screen of death, or total system lockup error of some kind. I've uninstalled, fully deleted all directories, re-installed, and fully updated UT and Inf at least four times to no avail. Same shizznit.

Does anyone have any ideas on this one? It looks like a killer game and I'd really like to frag you all sometimes but I'm real close to giving up on the idea.

Thanks,

[3PMP]-Devios

[3PMP]-Devios

Feb 4, 2002
Yes...

From my last post: "I've never played UT or Infiltration for more than 20 minutes without getting a Blue Screen of death"

hehehe, yea, I get the same crashes in both... Does anyone know if its a capability problem with the GeForce2 GTS and where I can get some info on that? Maybe there is an option in UT I can disable or in my advanced video card settings...

I wouldn't know where where to start...

Thanks for the reply,

[3PMP]-Devios

DeaJae

taking a month's break
May 7, 2001
England
www.littleportitservices.co.uk
you can tweak whatever video setting for the renderer in the Unrealtournament.ini or go thru the console by typing "preferences" that will allow you to disable stuff like Precache and vsync.

as for the ping spiking/lag issue have you tried the "netspeed xxxxx" command?

[3PMP]-Devios

Feb 4, 2002
?, and Yes

I've attempted to tweak the netspeed to no avail. I get similar lag spikes in Counter-Strike, but they are not comparable in affect or frequency.

As for the video settings, do you have any idea what settings, in particular, seem to cause problems with GeForce 2 GTS cards?

Thanks,

[3PMP]-Devios

DeaJae

taking a month's break
May 7, 2001
England
www.littleportitservices.co.uk
these are my D3D settings, best off ignore the HWid, description and vendorid settings. these settings have provided decent fps while keeping the eye candy decent in the game.
if your using OpenGL (some people have better proformance with OpenGL on GTS cards for some reason) grab the updated renderer file at unreal.epicgames.com and add the openGL reccomended settings to your ini.

[D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]
Translucency=True
VolumetricLighting=True
ShinySurfaces=True
Coronas=True
HighDetailActors=True
UseMipmapping=True
UseTrilinear=False
UseMultitexture=True
UsePageFlipping=True
UsePalettes=True
UseFullscreen=True
UseGammaCorrection=True
DetailTextures=False
Use3dfx=False
UseTripleBuffering=False
UsePrecache=False
Use32BitTextures=False
DescFlags=1
dwDeviceId=273
dwVendorId=4318
Use32BitZBuffer=False
UseVertexFog=True
UseAGPTextures=False
UseVideoMemoryVB=False
UseVSync=True
Description=NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 100/200

as for ping spikes, the lack of cable around here prevents me from experimenting.