Launch Day DLC for Mass Effect 2 Will Be Free

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
I'd say that's pretty much what it is with Assasins Creed 2. We will have to get used to that - both DA:O and AC2 rely on DLC, with some of it going live on first day. Bioshock is aiming at something similar. Even Epic did the same - hence the Flashback mappack. This is a strategy to fight with used game sales and pirated copies. And actually I'll prefer it be that way instead of copy protections, as long as Microsoft will stop treating customers in countries w/out LIVE as 2nd rate and will stop stripping local copies the DLC codes.

Its flat out a crappy thing to do. It doesn't fight pirates (because, surprisingly, they pirate the DLC) so it's no "alternative" to copy protection. If you want to make it so that your game can't be resold, make a deal with Valve that they need to activate via Steam to play. But if you're going to sell things in physical form, it's a shady, shady move to remove portions of the game and say nuh uh, you don't get to play because you didn't buy it the right way.

~Jason

Leak

Sep 1, 2008
Linz, Austria
Its flat out a crappy thing to do. It doesn't fight pirates (because, surprisingly, they pirate the DLC) so it's no "alternative" to copy protection. If you want to make it so that your game can't be resold, make a deal with Valve that they need to activate via Steam to play. But if you're going to sell things in physical form, it's a shady, shady move to remove portions of the game and say nuh uh, you don't get to play because you didn't buy it the right way.
Last I checked the DLC for DA:O was just a miniscule part of the game (some beefed equipment, a handful of locations and one companion out of, what, ten?) AND you can buy any missing DLC from Bioware's store if you absolutely want it...

EDIT: I just checked, and you can indeed unregister your game from Bioware's site before selling it, so what's the big deal? (I wonder if that would include the purchased DLC if you re-register the game...)

Last edited:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Last I checked the DLC for DA:O was just a miniscule part of the game (some beefed equipment, a handful of locations and one companion out of, what, ten?) AND you can buy any missing DLC from Bioware's store if you absolutely want it...

The DLC for DA:O is a companion that's actually one of the better characters in the game, is certainly the funniest (the equivalent of HK 47 in KOTOR) and is the only real tank alternative to Alistair. This comes with a sidequest and tons and tons of dialogue throughout the game. If you want to buy that it's $15. The thing is, Shale is PART of the game and being excised is silly. The Dragon Armor is cool but non-essential and not even the best armor in the game.

In ME2, they did the same thing with a character (including character missions), but they've also added the new vehicle which is the upgrade to the annoying Mako, a vehicle they describe as "essential." They are literally removing parts of the game that were always intended to be there for the purpose of selling it to people who buy their game in perfectly legal, acceptable ways. It is truly just a few steps away from making the actual ending DLC and people who buy the game used will only get the second to last level, which will sort of sum up things.

I'm all for finding ways to get paid for your work, like I said before, but if you're going to punish people for not buying the game new, why not just make them buy it new (require activation). It's a one-time deal, assures it can't be resold and doesn't give people an incomplete experience.

~Jason

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
It's a one-time deal, assures it can't be resold and doesn't give people an incomplete experience.
unless of course the activation-servers are taken off-line ... (like in an earthquake ... )

If the game is good then it won't need any fancy tricks to make people buy it.
If the game is crap then features such as these
//

btw : The collectors' edition of DA:O not only has DLC as part of the 'collectors' version'.
Part of it is only available for an extremely limited amount of time ... (I think it said may 2010 on the box).
As such we aren't merely getting punished for not buying it at retail.
We also get punished for not buying it in the month it is released ...

so what's the big deal?
There's no need for this nonsense and it makes people want to pirate it as a matter of fact.
Heck ... I already have a hard time trying to explain why I even attempt to buy software when it is so easily available through *eh* less legitimate means.
Having to deal with this **** only makes it worse.