Dynamic music

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sahkolihaa

Ow...
Dec 29, 2004
England
Dynamic music (unfortunately) only works best with MIDI when it comes to implementation, as MIDI generates it in real-time so it's easier just to switch the instruments, add an "end" to the current piece of music then add a "start" to the new one.

With digital files you're going to need more programming - Halo has all it's music cut into 5-10 second chunks so they mix well (did a good job of it too) but not many other games do this. Serious Sam simply plays one digital file when the atmosphere is calm, then fades that out while fading in the "action" music. This works well actually :p

I haven't listened to how UT3 does it yet, I usually have the music cut down or I play my own in XMPlay.

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
I haven't listened to how UT3 does it yet, I usually have the music cut down or I play my own in XMPlay.

It is annoying (at least to me) to hear hear the so called "Stingers" which are basically some sort of "fanfare" to mimic the change from one track to the other.
But even with the Stingers hiding the change between the two track these tracks don't continue to play parallel... ...you always end up hearing the first 5 to 10 seconds of each track.

That's why I earlier made my sarcastic statement. You constantly keep hearing the same short parts interrupted by some weird "taddahhh" or "tadderadadaaaahhhh" if you play UT in a fast paced manner. And now I am honest: I cannot imagine anybody really liking it the way it is done in UT3 if you keep yourself in the action because it reverts back to the calm music too fast.

Last edited:

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
The main annoyance is that when a music changes, it starts from the beginning. I'm tired of hearing the first few seconds of the Go Down's remix.
It's a good start, the implimentation, but it could be improved. COR:EFBB used dynamic music (though it was SP). The basic explanation is there was 2 tracks constantly playing. When you attack something it would do a crossfade from ambient to action. The ambient would continue to run while the action was playing so when it faded back it would be at a different point every time.