how too get more pll in ut3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I didn't say the whining was the sole cause, I said it was silly to think it had no affect whatsoever.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
No, it wasn't.

Spore was still the #2 best-selling PC game this holiday season. Pretty much any search you do about Spore reviews or user experiences will be negative. It's fairly easy to see that whining on the Interbutts doesn't affect Joe Blow in any way, shape, or form.

I'd argue that's more Joe Blow not giving two ****s about DRM, and Steve Jobs pile of money from iTunes would tend to agree with that. I know from personal experience that user reviews are something I'll use when I'm shopping for hardware, so it's not far-fetched that people would be influenced by a low score. Maybe more people actually dig into the reviews than I give the human race credit for? *shrug*

Not only that, but UT3 is/was apparently the #3 game sold on D2D.

And yet UT3 still has very meager online numbers -- a few hundred at best (and that includes the entire world).

Try higher...

Just an interesting comparison on xfire :p I know xfire isn't the best source as it only tracks people who have xfire but it shows a heck of a lot more than 500 people playing :p This is also showing players that play online and offline.

players playing daily:

UT3 - 1440
UT2004 - 2,257
UT1 - 660
Gears of War - 677
Call of Duty 4 - 139,619
Team Fortress 2 - 7,599
Left 4 Dead - 15,494

Point to evilmrfrank :)

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Well, no, not really.

xfire shows people playing the game, but does it only list online players? Remember that many players only play offline matches, so unless those numbers can be definitely for online players, those stats don't really mean anything.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Those definitely aren't online numbers. Remember the Minesweeper vs. WoW thing a few years back?

If you trust GameSpy's numbers, as of right now there are 204 UT3 players online worldwide, which is -- much to Brizz's displeasure, I'm sure -- quite close to what Game Monitor reports (GM is ~20 lower).

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Why would I care? :p

Game Monitor isn't what I'd call a reliable source of information, but that doesn't mean it can't give you a decent snapshot of what is going on.

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
It should probably be renamed to the yearly naming convention since the UT3 name has a negative aura around it.
I don't mean to come across as offensive, but...

No.

UT2(004) is IMO the biggest failure in the series because it never really was an UT game to me. That stupid yearly naming convention and everything else related to that wimpish sports related bull**** should be ditched and gone forever and ever.

UT should be about gladiatorial combat to the death, where everyone fights for his or her own survival, not about some stupid sports competition.

Anyway, in respect of what I said about UT2 in this post, I think that UT3 is a huge step upward from UT2. Yes, the setting may not be in a tournament, but right now I don't care about that because UT3 feels to me more like an UT game than UT2 ever did. And yes, I find Warfare to be a lot more fun and interesting than Onslaught. We all know that UT3 has got its flaws, but even so I still enjoy the game tons more than I enjoyed UT2. Personally I simply can't see how people could prefer UT2 over any other UT game. Sure, it was fun while it lasted, but in the end it lacked almost everything that made UT great.

Last edited:

Kazimira

Necris Fan
Dec 13, 2008
UK
kazumitsu.deviantart.com
Also the nameing convention where the year it is releced is used kind of ruins flexabliity in the timeframe to make it and also means the developers cant be flexable with story elements.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
UT2(004) is IMO the biggest failure in the series because it never really was an UT game to me. That stupid yearly naming convention and everything else related to that wimpish sports related bull**** should be ditched and gone forever and ever.

UT should be about gladiatorial combat to the death, where everyone fights for his or her own survival, not about some stupid sports competition.

At least UT200x was about a tournament (i.e. the "T" in "UT"), quite unlike UT3 which was about how FPS stories are butchered at will. (and about a war)

IMHO a tournament (whether treated as a sport or just an entertaining fight for one's life) sounds much more reasonable if there's stuff like time/score limits, announcers, or even match rules in general. In that regard UT200x was true to the original, which also just was about an entertainment event. Think pro-wrestling, just with weapons and respawners.

Last edited:

evilmrfrank

Banned
Apr 22, 2005
Florida, US
www.evilmrfrank.com
Well, no, not really.

xfire shows people playing the game, but does it only list online players? Remember that many players only play offline matches, so unless those numbers can be definitely for online players, those stats don't really mean anything.

It shows the people who have the game opened, not specifically online or offline. If you open the UT3 exe file it says your playing the game. The only problem with that is anyone who is using the editor is logged as playing the game as well :p

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Xfire has a way worse problem than that: it only shows people playing games while running Xfire. Statistics based on that tool are pointless for anything else than "players running game applications simultaneously with the xfire application."

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
At least UT200x was about a tournament (i.e. the "T" in "UT"), quite unlike UT3 which was about how FPS stories are butchered at will. (and about a war)

IMHO a tournament (whether treated as a sport or just an entertaining fight for one's life) sounds much more reasonable if there's stuff like time/score limits, announcers, or even match rules in general. In that regard UT200x was true to the original, which also just was about an entertainment event. Think pro-wrestling, just with weapons and respawners.
I really don't see why this matters. You could ignore the story and it would basically be a tournament.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Regardless, Epic doesn't have a whole lot of time to get the franchise back in working order. Part of the problem is that UT is a throwback to an earlier form of FPS game: the simple "just frag" gametypes. Very simple, no-frills, no complex rules, skill based gaming. Let's face it, Quake and Unreal are probably the only two PC franchises that are continuing this style of gameplay. While this puts them clearly in their own niche, it's also a niche where you can still play the previous entries in the series. Often with better framerates and comparable (or better depending on your play style / personal preferences). So in the end, UT3 is really competing with itself (UT/UT2) much like Quake 4 was with Quake 2 (for single-player) and Quake 3 (for multiplayer).

However, Epic has a bigger problem upcoming from id. Quake Live will probably going open beta and possibly release this year. If Quake Live manages to grab hold of our little niche of "old skool" FPS games, how can Epic compete with that? You can't easily compete with "free" and "runs in a browser".

We can all sit here and compile lists and theories about why UT3 failed/succeeded/drew/whatever all we want. Doing all that isn't going to drag new players into the servers nor is it going to encourage those of us who want to play the game to go out and buy the game and play online. Man up, cut an hour out of your WoW, TF2, CoD, L4D time and go pub for a while or something. You'll be doing a lot more good than just sitting around here like a Starbucks philosopher trying to solve Epic's problems for them.

Last edited:

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark

No, X-fire shows all X-fire users who have launched the game (be it on or offline play) for the entire day, that does not mean that a person logging in to find a server will suddenly see a thousand players populating the servers at the same time.

My guess is that UT3 has an everage playercount of 350 people in a 24houer period, the numbers are around 200 or less people most of the day, in the peak houers, the numbers will rise to just below 600 usually, and then there's some gray zones inbetween where you find 300-400 people playing for a few houers, this is the reallity online players face, they are lucky if they can find more than 600 people playing this game at the same time (and the numbers are global).

Thus, it is no wonder that people allways complain that it is hard to find populated servers with a good ping.

I ask you guys, how often have you heard that Quake4 is dead online? that nobody plays it? and how often have you found yourself agreeing with this?
Well UT3 is drawing extremely similar player numbers to Quake4, it usually only has a handfull more players, or around 50 more people durring peak houers usually.

Actually, as i write this, Quake4 has 4 more people playing it than UT3 :lol:

dub

Feb 12, 2002
Sure, it was fun while it lasted, but in the end it lacked almost everything that made UT great.
Makes no sense? It degraded..? Explain...

Xfire has a way worse problem than that: it only shows people playing games while running Xfire. Statistics based on that tool are pointless for anything else than "players running game applications simultaneously with the xfire application."
I never use(d) X-fire, but if statistics from Xfire are only about other users with Xfire, then Xfire statistics aren't worth much.

Why are people still using the "story" to argue anything.
Any story in UT games was added to add prettiness to the idea that you're just practising the online game against some bots.
All UT story lines are built around the Arena game, not the other way around.

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com
That stupid yearly naming convention and everything else related to that wimpish sports related bull**** should be ditched and gone forever and ever.

Yes, but aren't they now stuck with a naming convention matching the version of the engine UT3 = UE3? (also inflexible)

And the original purpose of the tournament was basically brutal combat for the purposes of entertainment (like a televised event, in the future). Not really sport.. not really war.. I think we agree

Let's face it, Quake and Unreal are probably the only two PC franchises that are continuing this style of gameplay. While this puts them clearly in their own niche, it's also a niche where you can still play the previous entries in the series....

The way I see it, I enjoyed it then, enjoy it now, will enjoy it in the future - and I'd like it to look better and better, as technology gets better. Does it really have to change? (I'm not the "masses" though I guess)

Last edited:

Enfluence

I kinda like UT3.
Jan 25, 2008
I've been waiting for a real FPS to come for along time now. I thought UT3 was it before it was even released, as well as the 1000s of people this wasn't a complete let down. It was true to the series in a way, but it has its problems as we all know.

I suggest if i can, a completely different way to conquer this problem.
Change the way everything is done, to the way weapons fire, to the way we move, basically everything. The problem now is we've seen all of this before over and over. UT99 was a standing point for everything and ever since company's have been churning out these "copies" over and over. Its time to recreate the game Epic, Or maybe i'm wrong.

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com
Change the way everything is done, to the way weapons fire, to the way we move, basically everything.

Oh dear god NO!!

I hated having to "get good" again from UT99-UTK4-UT3. I don't want to go through it all again.
To me, it's like suggesting an awesome driving game should have the sequel make left steer right and right steer left.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
No, X-fire shows all X-fire users who have launched the game (be it on or offline play) for the entire day, that does not mean that a person logging in to find a server will suddenly see a thousand players populating the servers at the same time.

My guess is that UT3 has an everage playercount of 350 people in a 24houer period, the numbers are around 200 or less people most of the day, in the peak houers, the numbers will rise to just below 600 usually, and then there's some gray zones inbetween where you find 300-400 people playing for a few houers, this is the reallity online players face, they are lucky if they can find more than 600 people playing this game at the same time (and the numbers are global).

Thus, it is no wonder that people allways complain that it is hard to find populated servers with a good ping.

I ask you guys, how often have you heard that Quake4 is dead online? that nobody plays it? and how often have you found yourself agreeing with this?
Well UT3 is drawing extremely similar player numbers to Quake4, it usually only has a handfull more players, or around 50 more people durring peak houers usually.

Actually, as i write this, Quake4 has 4 more people playing it than UT3 :lol:
Quake Live is probably not going to grab anyone's attention away from Quake 3 for the most part for one big reason: it can't be modded.

Most of the people still playing Quake 3 are playing CPMA, and while Quake Live is a good step in that direction, it isn't CPMA.