Official BeyondUnreal Photography Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
figured I would post some of these here after I only put them in the Desktop Pic thread before, since one of them was my background image. but we got a new dog this Summer following the death of our last dog in 2010 and our last cat in 2012.

it's a golden retriever named 'Yadi' after STL Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina.
yeah we're unapologetic in our love for baseball, get over it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

(sleeping underneath the deck furniture)
image.jpg

that was about 4-5 months ago.
I took these pictures this weekend when he started doing this hilarious thing where he lies totally flat. he only does it when he's tired but it's too cute.

Yadi1.jpg

Yadi2.jpg

we need a topic dedicated to pets :p

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
I think you have 3 options:

Send it in to KEH to have it cleaned.
Send it into sigma to have it cleaned
Live with it.

Already returned it for a refund.

What do you think about the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8? It's been getting really good reviews and apparently it's the first lens in the world to have a constant f/1.8 throughout the entire zoom range.

I might just jump on it when it becomes available again. Seems that it's sold out everywhere at the moment.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
Already returned it for a refund.

What do you think about the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8? It's been getting really good reviews and apparently it's the first lens in the world to have a constant f/1.8 throughout the entire zoom range.

I might just jump on it when it becomes available again. Seems that it's sold out everywhere at the moment.

The Sigma 18-35 is turning out to have achieved legendary status already. Its going to be a hot seller for a while. I'm completely full frame so that lens wouldn't do me any good. Putting that aside, the bokeh is beautiful for close up shots and it is simply the sharpest ultrawide angle I have ever seen even at f1.8.

A friend of mine went to Istanbul to document the Gezi Protests. He got some really interesting shots. I'm not sure if he is still there or not. He's got some big balls.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151528295432001.1073741825.509037000&type=1&l=0f2b50ed1a

I saw a few pretty good ones on there. Not many action shots. Not that I want to see people hurt but it looked like a small protest from the way he covered the story. Still..Kudos for him covering it!

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
I've been going over my portfolio and grabbing old photos. Some are being reprocessed. The results are excellent. I am sometimes shocked as to how much of a difference my post processing techniques have changed over the years. Old photos with issues I just couldn't fix are easily fixed. I had a white line in the middle of her face that I couldn't fix back in the day. It was second nature to fix once I opened up the image. My BW conversions are much better, but admittingly much more involved.
New logo BTW

Arielle_Old.jpg

Arielle_New.jpg

Last edited:

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
Any of you have experience with the warranty service by Sigma? I just sent my 50mm F1.4 lens in for repair. Hopefully they've solved the engineering issue and the HSM won't continually fail over and over...

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
Any of you have experience with the warranty service by Sigma? I just sent my 50mm F1.4 lens in for repair. Hopefully they've solved the engineering issue and the HSM won't continually fail over and over...

I've own the 50mm 1.4 for about 2 years. No issues plus I have an 85mm 1.4. No issues on that one either.

Sigma tends to quietly replace parts and improve their lenses over time. All lens makers do this, its just that Sigma gets more attention because the change is so dramatic. The old 50mm 1.4 lens used to be very jittery when you used continuous focus. The newer one (smooth finish/non crinkle cut) has the better AF motor. If you sent it in for repair, they likely replaced the motor with a better one, flashed the lens firmware, and recalibrated the focus system, and finally they cleaned the lens.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
I saw a few pretty good ones on there. Not many action shots. Not that I want to see people hurt but it looked like a small protest from the way he covered the story. Still..Kudos for him covering it!

I should of mentioned he's a street photographer, so he wasn't actually there to do journalistic documentation of it, but more of a street photography take on the people involved.

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
I've own the 50mm 1.4 for about 2 years. No issues plus I have an 85mm 1.4. No issues on that one either.

Sigma tends to quietly replace parts and improve their lenses over time. All lens makers do this, its just that Sigma gets more attention because the change is so dramatic. The old 50mm 1.4 lens used to be very jittery when you used continuous focus. The newer one (smooth finish/non crinkle cut) has the better AF motor. If you sent it in for repair, they likely replaced the motor with a better one, flashed the lens firmware, and recalibrated the focus system, and finally they cleaned the lens.

Nice to know. Maybe it was one of the last of an old revision of the 50mm HSM. I'm curious as to how long I should expect a return? Do they email or mail you that it's been received and being repaired? Could it have been moisture from my many outdoor adventures that caused it to fail? I think it has to do with the ring inside, the little metal ring.

Last edited:

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
Nice to know. Maybe it was one of the last of an old revision of the 50mm HSM. I'm curious as to how long I should expect a return? Do they email or mail you that it's been received and being repaired? Could it have been moisture from my many outdoor adventures that caused it to fail? I think it has to do with the ring inside, the little metal ring.

Good questions. I would call their repair/warranty center. They can track the progress better. Turn around time is usually pretty good for most companies (except nikon), just don't count on having it for next weekends wedding. :)

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
I had a shoot over the weekend. Took 4 months to plan and about a week to engineer. I made a rain maker! How else would it rain in Oregon in the middle of the summer? Add a fog machine for more atmosphere and you've got yourself something awesome!

I wish I had taken some photos of the process and the tools I used. I was in a bit of a hurry since things did not always go according to plan. Next time I do this it will be in a bigger scale and I will fix the flaws I from this shoot. Over all everyone had fun and the results speak for themselves.

MBP_1662.jpg

MBP_1687_2.jpg

MBP_1726_1.jpg

MBP_1737_2.jpg

MBP_1752_2.jpg

MBP_1792_1.jpg

Last edited:

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Awesome shots Mike. More details about so called "rain maker"?

I got my Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 today. Inspected it and as always it has a piece of dust/glitter on one of the inner elements. More micro dust/particles visible when I shine a flashlight through it. I'm not going to let it get the best of me though. I will not be OCD. I will not be OCD.

I'll post some thoughts soon.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
Awesome shots Mike. More details about so called "rain maker"?

I got my Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 today. Inspected it and as always it has a piece of dust/glitter on one of the inner elements. More micro dust/particles visible when I shine a flashlight through it. I'm not going to let it get the best of me though. I will not be OCD. I will not be OCD.

I'll post some thoughts soon.

I did this test shoot for a dance company. They loved them so much they hired me for a full on shoot in 2 weeks. 20 girls! I'll take some more detailed shots of the rainmaker next time.

I look forward to seeing your review of that new lens of yours.