how too get more pll in ut3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mabz

Mar 31, 2005
Is there an alternative to Mapmixer that mixes gametypes? ...

(ya! 100th post for the second time. The last time I got to 100, that unfortunate crash happened to BU)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I find it interesting that when it comes to UT3 you defend it to the death, but when it comes to any older title which actually enjoyed a greater degree of success than UT3, you seem to be saying they sucked. UT2003 or UT2004 may not have been the games I asked for but even as rabid a UT fan as I was, I learned to appreciate them and actually got immense enjoyment out of ONS for a good 3 years and Assault for another. There were plenty of servers here in EU with good games full of good people. My clan had 2 ONS servers, 1 of which was completely vanilla ONS with custom maps, and customs got played a sh1t ton and almost always full from afternoon to early morning. There were lots of other servers like ours as well. I only played American pubs on the rare occasion but most of the time I dominated even the 32p servers by about 100 points - so I guess I can understand what you mean about "morons".. even so, it always seemed to me that there was far more selection state side and I did not find that demo servers became an issue until around 2006.
Frankly, the arguments people are making are so ridiculous that I'm not even really defending UT3.

And you know what? I enjoyed UT2003 and, to a lesser extent, UT2004. But really, they were terrible games. They had awful gameplay and I'm happy to see them go.

Having good times with a game does not make it a good game. People have fun with Big Rigs, but that doesn't change the fact that it is one of the worst games ever made.

Also, I'm pretty sure that retail and demo could play with each other from release. But even if not, here is a demo package from 6 months after the game came out that indicates you can.

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x?fid=4558

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Also, I'm pretty sure that retail and demo could play with each other from release. But even if not, here is a demo package from 6 months after the game came out that indicates you can.

I still wonder why Epic never pushed out a new demo for the game like they did with UT2004 after it was patched a couple times. That was one of the smartest things they did for UT2004.

Mabz

Mar 31, 2005
And you know what? I enjoyed UT2003 and, to a lesser extent, UT2004. But really, they were terrible games. They had awful gameplay and I'm happy to see them go.

Having good times with a game does not make it a good game.

It is true that having good times with a game does not make it a good game, but IMO, UT2K4 with the scores, number of players and general fun factor it pulled does indicate that it is a good, if not an excellent game.

Allow me to put forward an example with this analogy; having good times with a girlfriend does not mean she's a good girlfriend, but the lasting enjoyable factor that you have with her and her flaws will determine whether she's a good girlfriend or not. UT2k4 had so much of a lasting enjoyable factor that its flaws became unnoticeable to me; in fact UT2k4 would not have been UT2k4 without those flaws... WadR (With all due Respect)

Last edited by a moderator:

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
How about actually playing the game instead of hanging around here?

Not gonna happen, alot of us are here and still playing the older UT's (or other games) because we do not desire to play UT3, its not enjoyable for us.

Get back to me after the expansion has been released, then we'll see if that changes things.

Poker

Anus Retentus
Apr 17, 2006
Good game, great game, "really terrible" game, blah blah ... opinion this, hyperbole that.

UT3 is a fine game IMO. I may know 0-1% about anything, but nonetheless I attribute whatever greatness it may claim to the fantastic work of supremely talented artists, designers and programmers—insofar as their work actually went.

Fine as it is though, as everyone knows, UT3 is also a barren wasteland in terms of its multiplayer community, the consequence of a whole host of unmet deadlines during its development. Fully realizing in my own retarded way that I am certainly 99-100% scarcely hominid knuckle-dragger, I attribute its gigantic fail and waste of aforementioned fantastic efforts by supreme talents to filthy incompetence in terms of project management, oversight and leadership.

Indeed, after a full year of bad post-release PR, a mediocre overall reception, devaluation of the franchise, and the comparatively infinitesimal multiplayer community following—if I had any kind of significant vested interest in the company, you can bet I'd have been calling for the heads of one or more project leads already. :) That is, at least a 0-1%-sized chunk of their heads—owing to my spectacular idiocy, of course—and preferably from the section of the brain that controls prickish arrogance.

Moral of the story: a "great" game that doesn't get played is worth no more—in truth less—than a "terrible" one that lights up a server browser.

Wanky tough fact of life ain't it. Let us cope. :)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Good game, great game, "really terrible" game, blah blah ... opinion this, hyperbole that.

UT3 is a fine game IMO. I may know 0-1% about anything, but nonetheless I attribute whatever greatness it may claim to the fantastic work of supremely talented artists, designers and programmers—insofar as their work actually went.

Fine as it is though, as everyone knows, UT3 is also a barren wasteland in terms of its multiplayer community, the consequence of a whole host of unmet deadlines during its development. Fully realizing in my own retarded way that I am certainly 99-100% scarcely hominid knuckle-dragger, I attribute its gigantic fail and waste of aforementioned fantastic efforts by supreme talents to filthy incompetence in terms of project management, oversight and leadership.

Indeed, after a full year of bad post-release PR, a mediocre overall reception, devaluation of the franchise, and the comparatively infinitesimal multiplayer community following—if I had any kind of significant vested interest in the company, you can bet I'd have been calling for the heads of one or more project leads already. :) That is, at least a 0-1%-sized chunk of their heads—owing to my spectacular idiocy, of course—and preferably from the section of the brain that controls prickish arrogance.

Moral of the story: a "great" game that doesn't get played is worth no more—in truth less—than a "terrible" one that lights up a server browser.

Wanky tough fact of life ain't it. Let us cope. :)
Really it depends on how much each respective game makes, right?

No matter what we think, no developer or publisher is ever REALLY going to rank their games' success based on the number of people that play it online (as long as it's not a subscription based online game). Really they only care how many units it sells at retail.

I tend to agree with you to a certain extent, but I also think Epic was under pressure to get UT3 out. With Gears 2 looming on a November 2008 release, increasing pressure to have a launched PS3 game, the promise of a moddable PS3 version and probably loads of other reasons, they were cornered into releasing the game early. And I think you'd be hard pressed to find an Epic employee that does not think that the game was released earlier than it should have been.

That said, probably every game that comes out these days comes out earlier than it should. If they didn't, there would be little point of post-release support.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Everyone reading this section, thread and post is obviously interested in UT3, therefore you should get out and play the game instead of just staring at this. It will work, trust me.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
That said, probably every game that comes out these days comes out earlier than it should. If they didn't, there would be little point of post-release support.

Sadly, that seems to be all too true, and i don't particularely like it..

Sure there's allways been bugs in software and games, but thease days, its getting quite extreme, and more so, games thease days usually feel unfinished, like there was much more the Dev's wanted to do with the game but they just plain ran out of time, and you are left with things that seem half implimented or like its corners where cut.. sadly thease things are extremely rarely patched out (bugs, yeah mostly, half finished story lines and gameplay mechanics? not so much..).

Perhabs the industry needs to figure out that it takes longer to make a game now and give it the time it needs.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
I tend to agree with you to a certain extent, but I also think Epic was under pressure to get UT3 out.

Weren't they also trying to shove UT3 out the door in time for the 2007 holiday season? All three versions if I remember until MS threw a monkey wrench into the 360 plans. Plus as we all now know, Midway's financial situation hasn't been very hot for a while so there was more than likely a lot of pressure from them to kick it out the door. Especially when you consider that the average development time for a game is 18 months, and UT3 was well past that when they released it.

Which reminds me, $5 says the expansion includes the 360 bonus content.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Everyone reading this section, thread and post is obviously interested in UT3, therefore you should get out and play the game instead of just staring at this. It will work, trust me.

Look, i can fully understand why you would like to see more people come play with you, but i don't think you quite understand the "relationship" many of us have with this game.. yes i have an interest in the game, but not in how it is right now, i have an interest in what it could become if the right things where fixed and added, with the right post-release support.

As UT3 is right now, i have zero desire to play it, it does not bring me any enjoyment, only frustration, i can see the potential of greatness in UT3, but its allways just out of reach..

And worst of all, it woulden't really take all that much to "fix" the game for me, it just hasen't been done, and untill it is, the game will remain unplayably frustrating to me.

So, why would i play a game i do not enjoy? obviously i wont, that would be silly, but considdering that it could be fixed, and become enjoyable to me, i do feel like advocating for thease fixes.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Why am I not playing this game or any other game in the series? I think I would still be playing UT2k4 if I was waiting for UT3 to come out. Why am I not playing this game? Because I can't stay connected on a server for even a game without disconnecting due to duplicate login detected. Only that? Then why am I not playing against bots? Because they are either too easy or too hard, the taunts are silly, four generations of the same weaponry is getting old and repetitive. Look there, I have already started complaining again. It's all those little things that start annoy a quality aware gamer. It's like Quake 4 where you can't gib corpses all over again because of compatibility to german versions. If the game worked and never failed to login or connect, then maybe we wouldn't even have this conversation. Losing connection should not cost you the whole match. I don't see me playing this game in a near future because none seem to be able to talk me into it.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Weren't they also trying to shove UT3 out the door in time for the 2007 holiday season? All three versions if I remember until MS threw a monkey wrench into the 360 plans. Plus as we all now know, Midway's financial situation hasn't been very hot for a while so there was more than likely a lot of pressure from them to kick it out the door. Especially when you consider that the average development time for a game is 18 months, and UT3 was well past that when they released it.

Which reminds me, $5 says the expansion includes the 360 bonus content.
I think all of those probably contributed to it as well.

It was a poor move on Midway's part, IMO, because holiday 2007 was already crowded with good FPSes, however I'm sure mounting pressure from Microsoft for Gears 2 and the lack of any Epic built PS3 titles surely contributed to it's early release, so I don't think it can possibly all be Midway's fault.

thinsoldier

Jul 30, 2008
How to get more people hmm ...
Release a "good" 1.4 patch that fixes all bugs (or at least 90% of them) and improve UI
Release the expansion with assault gametype back + more VCTF maps
Release all above before year 2010 (or else people will leave and play other game)
Or much better make a Final-Bug Free-Not Beta UT4 game

What exactly are these bugs people keep talking about. I haven't experienced any.

I think there are a lot of features missing compared to previous UTs and I dislike many aspects of the art direction and audio compared to previous UTs but I can't think of any bugs I've encountered.