Gravity Gun

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Jun 12, 2001
www.planetunreal.com
Update 17-12-04

• Things are improved.
  • Subtle things.
  • There is still a noticable bug where flag carring bots will think they should be gravjumping back where they came from instead of on towards home. When this happens, they will not do very well.

I'm calling this one .91 because you have to start somewhere.

Update 13-12-04 (NZ time!)

My current update goes like this:

• Pulling is done every frame Tick, so it's silky smooth, like silk.
  • The gun won't go purple when you pick up a shock rifle.
  • Bot should suicide less often and jump slightly more skillfully.

I end up spending all my time on the bot stuff instead of the weapon itself. Because it's fun, and impossible to get completely right.

General tweaking will come next.

I'm considering an option to make gravjumping drop the flag. It would make the weapon less 'unbalancing'\'gameplay changing'. It would also put the flag carrier at the mercy of fast moving, gravjumping flag hunters.

Some of my favourite moments have been chasing a flag carrier while he jumps across the Face3. If I catch him, it's easy enough to push him over the edge...

Perhaps the flag carrier should be unaffected by gravballs, so he can't jump, but also can't be thrown around. He can still use his Gravgun offensively, but not for movement.

==

I shouldn't call it a gravity gun anymore, because Half-Life's gravity gun is kinda different and cooler and stole the word. This one pushes you around, like back in the 99 days, but with two fire modes instead of twelve.

• Primary shots push you.
  • Secondary shots pull continuously while they fly.
  • The projectiles are fired relative to your velocity.
  • It works in multiplayer.
  • Bots try to gravjump.
  • Shooting someone in the head can hurt them (it forces them into the ground).

I used the shockrifle model and made the shiny bit green, but when you pick up a shock rifle it'll go purple again. I'll change all that, but for now it's the first bug. The second is that bots don't predict the flight path quite right.

The guns and effects don't appear in demos. Is it the mod's fault (replication?) or do I need to add an entry in an ini? I'd like to have gravjumping demos...

Here it is.

Attachments

• Shot00007.jpg
    Shot00007.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 92
  • Shot00011.jpg
    Shot00011.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 110
  • GravGun_v91.zip
    28.7 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

Kangus

Zombie on your pwn!
Jan 29, 2001
Illinois, USA
www.planetunreal.com
the player's view gets all jerky and wierd while being effected by the pulling shots. It feels like the framerate is dropping massively, but I'm not sure,e specially since it doesn't happen when a bot is being pulled.

Jun 12, 2001
www.planetunreal.com
I will try to tone down the effects to help framerate. It might just be the way it pulls, though. I make it pull every 0.1 seconds. It might be cleverer to pull every frame, using Deltatime to make it cool.

Kangus

Zombie on your pwn!
Jan 29, 2001
Illinois, USA
www.planetunreal.com
after further play, it also feels like the grav jump goes a bit too high... maybe that height is useful if you'd like to get to the top of a Face tower in one jump, but most of the time you aren't. I'm thinking maybe half the height? just a suggestion.

Jun 12, 2001
www.planetunreal.com
It is a long way, I have to admit. I've killed myself many a time trying to jump around in big halls. I will try tweaking it next... though cutting it down will hurt; I like getting across face in one.

New file in the first post.

Jun 12, 2001
www.planetunreal.com
I've tried shaving it down. At 75% I start to cry, so I think it's going to be at 76% of what it was.

You can jump less high by double jumping and then firing downwards, or even firing secondary shots straight up and jumping normally. The crouching idea is very sensible, though. I'll play with it for the next one.

I'm uploading a version with the slightly shorter range, some bot improvements, and a hack so the attractionballs aren't pulled around until they start pulling for themselves - it should be easier to break out of webs of the suck now.