Microsoft might Acquire Epic Games

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
It offers them a publisher that would actually promote their products. I still think allowing Microsoft to publish their games is the best move going for them. It doesn't mean Microsoft would own them, just publish their titles.

****, they can't do worse than Midway, really.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
They already did. Atari. :)

Microsoft is a good publisher, but if it meant GFWL integration, I'd say no thanks.

NedroidicusPrime

Walking Contradiction
Jan 25, 2008
C-Bus, USA
If Epic wants to team up with someone, it should be Valve.

It would give them a great distribution method, more stable network management, working voice chat, and they would get to 'merge minds' with some of the gurus there. That would be good news.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
They already did. Atari. :)

Microsoft is a good publisher, but if it meant GFWL integration, I'd say no thanks.

You guys really need to update your curse filter, how can you justify having words like "Atari" or "GFWL" not be censored? its.. obscene and profane!

I feel so dirty now, i gotta take a bath :(

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
@Anuban: Having fun multi-posting?

Uh having fun being a troll and looking for a stupid reason to start a fight with me? I went back and cleaned up my posts in case you hadn't noticed. Maybe you should edit your post with a Nevermind or something instead of going out of your way to create drama on a thread.

Anuban

Apr 4, 2005
dude, it's reported on a known 360 fanboi site.

I think it is just a case of them being jealous they haven't gotten UT3 yet (cause lets face it, halo was stale 4 years ago [at least for me])

I mean seriously, Epic is rocking it with UE3 right now. It is pretty much the biggest 3rd party engine being used by developers, with more joining on every week. They are in a very strong position right now, and I highly doubt they will sell to M$. It offers them really no benefits at all, and a whole lot of negatives. If Epic is publicly traded, then the stock might get an additional boost from the speculation, but anyone who would buy stock in Epic knows that it is a bad idea, and more money can be made by remaining independent.

That is utter and complete BS. We 360 owners have had the consistently better games on our platform since the PS3 came out. We are not envious of anything that is on the PS3 ... its usually the other way around. In fact we have Mass Effect and BioShock which are much better and richer games anyway and for Single players. In terms of MP we have Gears and Halo 3 as well as CoD4 and R6V so believe me there is no envy on this end whatsoever. Also we are going to have the best UT3 version with the least amount of bugs and most polish so perhaps it is the PC and PS3 users who are a little concerned and jealous even with their vaunted mod support. Its not like there are any really MUST Have content yet anyway. Sure there is plenty of hot stuff and I have it but nothing that 360 users will scream about if they don't get it.

Yeah I have all platforms so none of this affects me tbh but I will always be a 360 supporter. I may like PCs more but I love the 360 and my HD-DVD player which I am still going to get plenty of use out of over the next couple of years ... actually I am really starting to love the PS3 as well with its built in Blu-ray .. it just looks so damn cool and solid and not like a toy which is the 360's problem even the ALL black version (but it has the better gaming library still and I love the controllers). Heck its all good imo. :D

Last edited:

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
I mean seriously, Epic is rocking it with UE3 right now. It is pretty much the biggest 3rd party engine being used by developers, with more joining on every week. They are in a very strong position right now, and I highly doubt they will sell to M$. It offers them really no benefits at all, and a whole lot of negatives. If Epic is publicly traded, then the stock might get an additional boost from the speculation, but anyone who would buy stock in Epic knows that it is a bad idea, and more money can be made by remaining independent.

Yeah this is what I was saying with my comments about EA, I dont see EA staying on getting their engines if that was the case since they do have other options. Thats basically like handing the opposition a heap of money straight up, Epic is alot more neutral in terms of motives. Then again EA publish games on windows and xbox as well but I think that situation is alittle different than directly forking over money.

MS just doesnt have a great name to be taking on the middleware market, see sure they make API's and hardware but if you start adding engines in. Well I can see the anti-trust comments already (whoops), Epic just wont get in that position as easily because of its independance from compies such as EA, MS, Blizzard/Activision etc.

Sure Epic could easily become a publisher on UE3 titles if it wanted to take that route or do a steam like system but once you add MS to the equation then a steam like system automatically becomes a live system. Sure thats good for MS but considering other companies have their own system like EA it does make you wonder.

From a game point of view this could make sense so perhaps there is something in that, we all know cliffys stance on the xbox Im sure. It could help bring ports between xbox and PC/windows quicker but then again it could hurt since a game might not make it to PS3 like Gears.

I just think Epic is in the perfect position where it is and it does amaze me how they manage to juggle all these publishers, developers and hardware makers, while staying on good terms with the others. I think the industry is just too volatile for something like this to actually work and pay off as big as MS would hope.

Then again there is alot of people with 360's and alot of UE3 games on that platform also! But hey this is probably just rumour mill stuff as usual. With some of Epic's (I wont name) comments of late its kinda obvious to see where this came from.

Anuban

Apr 4, 2005
With reasons. I don't mind Microsoft for computer software, but Microsoft should never have stepped up in gaming.

I can't agree with you at all on that my friend. They really helped to accelerate good online gaming, great graphics on a non PC platform, FPS games on consoles that really work, No Halo games :(, no Gears of War as we know it ... lots of things. People can hate all they want but I don't think they are fair or objective when it comes to MS and gaming ... I don't get it personally. DX9 is great and DX10 is really good and getting better all the time. But whatever ... I am certainly not going to change anyone's mind here that is for certain. I can only say I like MS for gaming and thank God they got involved or the world would be PS only for high end gaming ... I know most of you folks can't see having to chose to between only a Wii and PS3 for gaming so give MS some credit. Now with that said I really don't want to see them purchase Epic because I don't think it would be good for the industry since they would limit the platform of the Unreal games and that is not fair even if I do enjoy gaming on the 360 a bit more than my PS3 (although thanks to UT3 the PS3 has been seeing much more time than my 360).

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
It offers them a publisher that would actually promote their products. I still think allowing Microsoft to publish their games is the best move going for them. It doesn't mean Microsoft would own them, just publish their titles.

****, they can't do worse than Midway, really.

Yeah Midway really let Epic down with UT3 I rekon, but you think Sony would let MS get close to publishing a game on their console? Then again some cross promotion would be kinda funny to see, MS games on playstation, Sony games on wii and nintendo games on PC :lol:

You know I kinda wish that console makers and publishers were actually two different things sometimes :p

Last edited:

ShredPrince

Sep 14, 2005
CTF-Omicron BONG
You know I kinda wish that console makers and publishers were actually two different things sometimes :p

For the most part they are, unless it's SCEA, MS Game studios, or Nintendo.
NO console can live w/o 3rd part support.

As far as MSEpic, the games won't matter, just like now. Engine, engine engine.

Can you say classic M$ style market dominance??? Yes I can:p

Anuban

Apr 4, 2005
Yeah Midway really let Epic down with UT3 I rekon, but you think Sony would let MS get close to publishing a game on their console? Then again some cross promotion would be kinda funny to see, MS games on playstation, Sony games on wii and nintendo games on PC :lol:

Do you think MS would want to publish a title for Sony's PS3 is the real question not the other way around. Remember its software that makes the hardware not the other way around. :)

Rahuah

Jan 21, 2008
Mark Rein has responded, he seems to be slightly amused:

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?p=25282614#post25282614

In case the thread gets deleted, here is what he said:

Mark Rein said:
I have not seen the actual GamePro article but if they're going to make predictions about us selling Epic we would prefer if they started at $2 billion because we don't want anyone thinking that we're cheap.

Judging by that response I think its safe to say that it is all just a speculative rumor, nonsense, nothing more.

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I roflcoptered :lol:

With reasons. I don't mind Microsoft for computer software, but Microsoft should never have stepped up in gaming.

Yeah, **** DirectX! **** DirectSound!

Oh, wait...

I can't agree with you at all on that my friend. They really helped to accelerate good online gaming, great graphics on a non PC platform, FPS games on consoles that really work, No Halo games :(, no Gears of War as we know it ... lots of things.

What?

For the most part they are, unless it's SCEA, MS Game studios, or Nintendo.
NO console can live w/o 3rd part support.

As far as MSEpic, the games won't matter, just like now. Engine, engine engine.

Can you say classic M$ style market dominance??? Yes I can:p

There's so much wrong with this post it hurts.

Nintendo have been doing a bloody good job of surviving without the need for 3rd party support for over 20 years. I'm willing to bet a third to a half of the best selling game franchises of all-time are Nintendo.

Microsoft wouldn't get the engine. They'd get publishing rights and possibly intellectual property.

Microsoft market dominance? Not really. They have a small share of the console market and a tiny share in the PC market.

EA and Ubisoft are way, way ahead of them.

Last edited: