CoD 4 Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
I've seen tons of cheaters in CoD4. Dunno what servers you play on :)

EvenBalance refused to admit that PunkBuster didn't work on Windows 7 for months of people reporting issues because it was "pre-release" software. Even now, you can't just install it. You have to find some hidden installer that actually installs the services properly.

EvenBalance also refuses to admit that their third party software scanner doesn't work properly and is often too aggressive in recognizing potential hacks. The Steam beta UI triggers hack detection in PunkBuster, and their response is that it is Valve's problem and they shouldn't have to do anything with it.

Aside from that, PunkBuster is one of the weakest anti-cheat applications out there. If you're not seeing many cheaters, it's because they've moved on to other, more popular games to hack in.

Brizz is mad @ PB. While I'm not the world's foremost authority on the subject, PB works just fine on my Win7 rig. I didn't have to screw with it at all. Also, with the game (BC2) being new, it actually hasn't been banning people right away. It sure appears that they've been redflagging things, and then once theyve confirmed its a cheat, then the bans start flowing like water... Again, just my recent experience...

Mar 6, 2004
Do you guys know the fix for this problem? i got cod4 on steam.

I go to join some promod servers for version 1.0 but i keep getting this message

"Impure client detected! Invalid .iwd files referenced. iw_12.iwd."

I can play on some promod servers, the rest tell me this.

I have googled this problem for 20 minutes and nothing fixes the problem. I deleted the mod folder, i uninstalled and then reinstalled the cod4 for my steam. I still get this problem even though google tells me these are the only fixes.

BTW i got around the steam cod4 for 1.7 and playing on 1.0 which does not require steam to work. I have asked on lots of forums but most of them nobody replies and others just say "probably cant play promod on 1.0". Well, 1 person said that...nobody else has said anything. I paid for a promod server so i wanna play promod for obvious reasons.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
That is because EvenBalance are a bunch of retarded idiots who don't know how to program.

The only way to get rid of that is to get the new Steam UI and disable the In-Game overlay on CoD4.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I've never had any problems with PB after remembering to update. I have only seen five or six cheaters ever in COD4 and I think it's pretty safe to say that's because of server admins.

Specifically. PB did it's job, but as the game grew older admins had to rely on their power to ban haxfags from their servers.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
[...] and votekick.

Votekick is the worse thing servers can have. I can't justify how many games I would have been kicked from for displaying a good performance on a server. Or because some Ger clan fags decide to kick everyone from the server so they can scrim on it.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Best cheater protection on any server is an admin and votekick.
Arguable. [brag]I've been shunned from dozens of servers in my Call of Duty experiences because of these. In COD2, I played for a long time with very few servers to choose from that had <100 ping and punkbuster enabled.[/brag] In other words, sucks for skilled players that actually like to pub.

Mar 6, 2004
That is because EvenBalance are a bunch of retarded idiots who don't know how to program.

The only way to get rid of that is to get the new Steam UI and disable the In-Game overlay on CoD4.

How do i disable the in-game overlay? i got the beta UI already.

edit- Still don't work....guess i will have to buy the game in a store.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
How do i disable the in-game overlay? i got the beta UI already.

edit- Still don't work....guess i will have to buy the game in a store.
Wait... you disabled the overlay.. and PB is STILL kicking you for Steam??

If that's true, they've gone to the bottom rung of my popularity ladder, below the retard Pakistani guy that I work with that couldn't program Hello World with copy-paste.

Mar 6, 2004
Wait... you disabled the overlay.. and PB is STILL kicking you for Steam??

If that's true, they've gone to the bottom rung of my popularity ladder, below the retard Pakistani guy that I work with that couldn't program Hello World with copy-paste.

I don't think impure client detected is a PB issue, just a bad file issue that seems to have no fix for me. I guess it means steam allows to have corrupt files of some sort.

What happens is the screen goes all black, and an error message pops up forcing you to ctrl alt delete out of game and click "ok" and the game dissapears.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2004
Hmm... sounds extremely odd...

I figured it out i think.

I took out the file IW_12.iwd and loaded promod server for 1.0 and it asks for an image of snow crash map, and 1.0 does not know any of the new maps that 1.7 has. So i can't play promod on 1.0 unless they have a fix like some servers do it seems like.

If i buy cod4 at a store does it come with version 1.0 as a default or does it come with 1.6? if it comes with 1.6 then i officially can't play on version 1.0 promod so i might aswell play on version 1.7.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
For the same price you get the MW2 map pack they have going on Xbawks. :lol:
I'm sure the 40 individuals who did/will bought/buy it on PC feel stupid enough.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
From what's been said about MW2, I think I'd have more fun with CoD4
Well, I know I'd enjoy the SP since I've played that part already

Also, $13.50 for a handful of maps... PFFT, yea right!

Last edited: