Something that was missing from UT2003/4

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Yeah I quite liked the hyperblast-2 myself, you can see parts of the map where yes it looks like it was scaled for giants but perhaps that was what the mapper intended. The map might not be as intense as the first because of its larger layout, mind you Im biased I played hyperblast before I played 2.

Either way atleast theres a bit of originality there instead of a direct port, I find some of the ut99 maps too small where there are areas that you hit your head if you jump. 1on1's are the go for me I like the size, 2k3 had some alright scaled maps but are a bit wide.

Actually played some of the ut ladder then the 2k3 one, been on 2k4 for awhile now. Im actually surprised at how similar but different 2k3 is in terms of the ladder and what maps are played, only got like 8-10 maps through each so far.

Btw hyperblast isnt missing from 2k4 but it is missing from 2k3, Ive always seen 2k4 as more of attempt to please the ut99 crowd. Its well done though there is a fair amount of new content in 2k4 compared to 2k3. Not just remake stuff either, like ons and some great maps from dm through most of the gametypes.

Edit: just if your wondering to heres a small list of maps that are in 2k3 from ut99.
DM-Curse3(Curse][), DM-Phobos2(Phobos), CTF-December(November), CTF-Face3(Face), CTF-Orbital2(Orbital).

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I suppose you could call 2k3's DM-Gael the spiritual successor to DM-Morbias, which by the way appeared in Unreal as did Curse. 2k3's DM-Plunge was very much a successor to UT's DM-Morpheus. Also, don't forget the other remake.. 2k3 Bonus Pack's CTF-Lavagiant2.

Deadmeat

Mar 31, 2006
hal said:
But again, you guys single out the maps, when it's really the fault of the gameplay. Rog did a great job with the map, I thought

While I didn’t really like the style of the maps in UT2003/4 I think your right to not really blame the mappers. Don’t forget these are the same people who produced the maps that contributed to the huge success of the earlier games. The maps can’t be made until the gameplay mechanics have been ironed out (movement, scale, weapons etc…) and the maps then have to be designed to these specifications. I guess the theme of the game (shiny metal, hi-tech Egyptian or rusty factory in this case) was also decided in advance, but I’m not sure how much leeway they have in interpreting this.

But….

sinikk said:
I think the worst example of the scale problems and the 'same mesh used everywhere in six different maps' problem is the final boss map, DM-Hyperblast2

The_Head said:
I think the UT200* music was good. but as Selerox said, it dosnt fit

gregori said:
Hyperblast2 sum up for me everything thats wrong with UT2kx.

Maps are the single biggest factor in developing the ‘feel’ of the unreal environment. The scale issues, use of lighting, reliance on very similar static meshes and sound selection just didn’t allow for any real game ‘personality’ to shine through. There were, of course, exceptions –

gregori said:
CTF Maul has a nice visual theme to it despite boring gameplay, i hope that theme returns, on a better map!

Some of the maps did have a lovely, unreal, style/theme to them but didn’t quite capture the atmosphere because the playability was poor. So would sorting out the gameplay help recapture the unreal ambience and believability of the arena’s? Yes and No.

No because you still need the artistic flair in the lighting, textures, static meshes and sounds which I personally thought was a little lacking.

Yes because even with above spot on, if you have faults in the gameplay they will detract from the overall experience. Sorting out the gameplay will probably be the bigger challenge. The different gameplay factors are all linked with each other – changing one WILL have a knock on effect. I think there are some aspects to the gameplay that would have worked with the UT’99 gameplay but don’t quite gel in UT2004. Conversely some aspects work really well in the UT2004 style of gameplay but wouldn’t have worked in UT’99. I think Epic need to rebuild the gameplay completely rather than remodeling that of previous incarnations, then take a look at earlier games, take the good bits from each – see which bits work together and throw out the stuff that doesn’t.

Hmm, that last sentence doesn’t quite get across the point I’m trying to make but I just can’t word it any better at the moment.

f.sardis

Apr 10, 2006
i dunno, all this chat about something missing reminded me of a specific map from ut99 that made it to 2003 thanks to a guy.
the map is hall of giants. you have to download it seperately for 2003, but i think this map has the right feel in 2003. it feels like ut99. maybe its because as a hall of giants it was huge to begin with so it didnt get stretched at all but somehow the atmosphere and the gameplay in that map felt ut99.

f.sardis

Apr 10, 2006
hmmm, thatsa good way to put it i guess.
i suppose we cal all shut up about the gameplay being worlds apart. there is at least one map that plays the same :p

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
heard some of jesper kyd's stuff today, it's pretty damn good,wonder how he'll approach UT2k7

It's quite possibly a team effort, with more than one composer, It's damn pity they wont bring back the original UT composers though! They gaave UT varied and epic music!

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
*Original UT Theme written by Alexander Brandon.New arrangement and production for UC2 by Kevin Riepl

Thats on KR's site for the credits on the UT theme. Im guessing this is the dude that did that song, not to sure about the other ut99 ones. Yeah thats on the UC2 menu music not the Ut2k4 one, thats titled with a redux...

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2002
Chica Go
Visit site
First post and most of the others I completely agree with.......the "washed out" part about lighting is spot on. They needed higher contrast with brighter colors. I don't want a super realistic game with camoflage etc. This is supposed to be a "sport" game so make the guys look like they are wearing bright uniforms like they do in normal physicaly sports so we know whos on whos team.

Music also was much better in UT. I loved that techno sound that got me pumped. I still listen to it now. The newer music sounds too........ hmm....... how do you describe it? Almost too real/orchestral (made up word lol) I liked the techno sound that made it simple....kinda like atari music or the midis in doom :p

(side note......bring back the flak "glow" that was left behind when hitting a person at point blank!)

f.sardis

Apr 10, 2006
flak glow? refresh my memory i dont remember this effect or i didnt understand what you are trying to describe.

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
The flak glow in UT actually looke like it was piping hot, In 2kx it looks yellow party streamers!

Proper looking flak glow is a must, aswell as descent looking tracers!

The CAR in U2 had a good effect for its Flak attack, probably should do something similar!

Last edited:

ExiT

hella lurker
Mar 14, 2003
uhm...
www.planetunreal.com
I think this is an excellent discussion. I'm amazed by how well it's going so far. If someone had posted this a year ago, there might have been a lot more 'quit beating the dead horse' response, but I think there isn't any bias here, everyone seems genuinely interested in thinking together.

I hope to hell Epic reads this. Anyone who has any contacts with them should REALLY alert them to it.

Mar 20, 2002
Chica Go
Visit site
f.sardis said:
flak glow? refresh my memory i dont remember this effect or i didnt understand what you are trying to describe.

Ok this is hard to describe but I am not talking about the glowing particles that both UTs had. What I mean is if you hit someone point blank it would make about a 1 ft in diameter orangish circle where the flak impacted the person/body plus it would make a cool distinct hit sound.... and now that I think about it.....some static meshes you couuld hit point blank to have the same effect (I dont remember what they were but they looked like high tech garbage cans). It basically let you know this guy just took a fckload of damage.

Bout the best way I can describe it. It really made it feel like you bent them over when that happened....kinda like......"oh bich that HAD to hurt!"

Kharn

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Flak in UT99 cooled down from all the way from White hot, to Orange, to Red
this was an amazing effect, in UT2kx it just goes from a dumb flat yellow colour to nothing which is unrealistic and sucks!