Got an idea for a multiplayer RPG

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Xavious_Luthian

May 7, 2005
Custer, MI, USA
-Could someone tell me how to make a map link with other maps so you can have a huge world? (if it is possible to do)
-Also, would it be possible to make something like an npc for unreal?
I have an idea for how there might be dialogue if you use the voice chat menu, since bots respond to the orders, maybe you could have them respond to everything else.
-There already is different species and statistics, and I got a pretty good idea how to change the stats, so I could probably make Dwarves, Gnomes, Elves, Orcs, etc (if I had the models).
-Even if you can have only 16 or 32 players (I'm not sure which), if you add some npcs and monsters it could be pretty fun. You might only have enough players for an adventuring party or two, but I think it would be pretty fun.
-Maybe if I incorperated something similar to the Content Mania thing into it, you could have something similar to a Dungeon Master.
-Even if I can't get all these ideas into a gametype, just a map and/or mutator that lets you buy different weapons would be good.

I'm only just starting to design maps and I made a few weapons, but I'm not very skilled at editing in Unreal.
If anyone could tell me or help me do anyone of the things mentioned above, I would be extremely greatful.
By the way, I'm working on a dungeon map that has a pretty cool feel to it, but the monsters I put in it spawn at the player start locations.

Last edited:

Inane

Newbie to everything
May 25, 2005
(Take note i only have knowledge in the original ut, and it is limited)
I dont believe you could link levels correctly, But single player wise you could have a linear set of missions, And you could make NPCs but they're actions would be very limited unless you were very good at scripting.

And as for money, Check out the badlands mod, Im sure if you had something similiar you could make a static amount of gold that can be added to when you win, But that would also take alot of scripting.
(You have a limited amount of money in badlands)

Xavious_Luthian

May 7, 2005
Custer, MI, USA
Unfortunatly, I think your right.

Inane said:
(Take note i only have knowledge in the original ut, and it is limited)
I dont believe you could link levels correctly, But single player wise you could have a linear set of missions, And you could make NPCs but they're actions would be very limited unless you were very good at scripting.

And as for money, Check out the badlands mod, Im sure if you had something similiar you could make a static amount of gold that can be added to when you win, But that would also take alot of scripting.
(You have a limited amount of money in badlands)

I'm using UT2004, but I hope your wrong about the levels linking together. I think I saw something once about the levels linking together the first time I used the original UT editor, but chances are that was probably for single player.
About the NPCs, if you know how to do them, could you tell me? Even if they can only do limited actions, I was only planning to use the NPCs as villagers and merchants any ways.
For the money, I was thinking about using something like the ONSResources mod.