Assualt Rifle

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mercenary

>ÐË
Nov 11, 2004
Considering that the assualt rifle is the closest thing to a modern combat rifle, the range should be long (800m is spec for M16). The limiting factor should be lack of sniper zoom feature not physical limit of bullet travel. They don't do much damage anyway.

Comments?

Faustus

Dave King
Nov 18, 2004
Missouri
Why so much realism? It is a sci-fi mod, BTW!

Mercenary said:
Considering that the assualt rifle is the closest thing to a modern combat rifle, the range should be long (800m is spec for M16). The limiting factor should be lack of sniper zoom feature not physical limit of bullet travel. They don't do much damage anyway.

Comments?

Hey!

Why worry so much about realism in UTXMP? It is a sci-fi mod...

I'd prefer that the AR be a laser-weapon, etc.

Faustus

Keasis

frequent eembotter
May 28, 2004
In the basement
The only thing that should happen to the CAR, is according to the changes imminent in their complete weapon-layout.

Although I'm primarely PRO-u2xmp weaponbalance (with the same shotty) it seems most people find it too powerfull (even most techs). So it kinda figures it will get somewhat nerfed.

If that happens though, imo the range of the primary should be reduced. The rest should be kept the same. However, the techs need to compensate the loss of a good ranged weapon. This is where the CAR should be improved. Either a higher damage, more precise or a higher ROF should make the CAR the replacement of the long-range shotgun. This way a tech wont be completely naked outside, midfield.

Thats just my 0.02€

Keasis

frequent eembotter
May 28, 2004
In the basement
That's what could be improved.

In u2xmp, it was never needed for the tech to use its CAR for longdistance, it was more the 'extreme spam weapon to hit that lagger in the back' The shotty was all you needed. However, since the shotgun range probably will get reduced, for instance, the CAR could be improved to compensate for the shotgun. A smaller cone would be an option. Higher ROF, higher damage, etc aswell.

Mercenary

>ÐË
Nov 11, 2004
In U2XMP I take out Turrets from across the screen with 3 carefully aimed alt fire Assualt Rifle shots and have even took out a few snipers that were busy loking at something else. That was my ONLY distance wepon as Tech. Now there is none.

harteman

Feb 13, 2004
Actually the maximum effective range of the m16a2 was 300meters while lying prone or dug in. The m4 has a max effective range of 250meters prone or dug in.

[GDC]Faust

Goblin Hunter
Apr 29, 2004
www.gamersdungeon.de
Faustus said:
heh...I've been using "Faustus" as my gaming nick since Fall '96 (when I started DMing online with Quake).

Faustus

I'm not flaming you! :D

It just doesn't happen very often that I come across somebody with a similar nick. :)

Magwa

Sep 28, 2004
Mercenary said:

Comments?

800 meters for m16 yes if you fire it at the moon the effective range of a m16 is between 10 yards and mabye 300 yards for a very good marksman ,in the hands of a sniper and with much work done to it it could kill at 800 meters but there would have to be no wind and a trained sniper. Now the tech is not a sniper the car is a medium range assault rifle ..that is all it is...

seems people thing weapon balance means everyone should be able to kill at the same range well this is not the case it is the class you play that selects your fighting range....IMO

Magwa

Sep 28, 2004
Mercenary said:
In U2XMP I take out Turrets from across the screen with 3 carefully aimed alt fire Assualt Rifle shots and have even took out a few snipers that were busy loking at something else. That was my ONLY distance wepon as Tech. Now there is none.

Doh!!! you are not a sniper want to play sniper? then click number one ranger! if not then do what a tech does and for gods sake quit posting this crap ...

BetaButterfly

Banned
Dec 2, 2004
www.nobullclan.org
Mercenary said:
I agree.

HARTEMAN63 said:
Actually the maximum effective range of the m16a2 was 300meters while lying prone or dug in. The m4 has a max effective range of 250meters prone or dug in.
OK. Does anyone else find this alarming? :lol:

j/k Harteman ;)

Magwa said:
Doh!!! you are not a sniper want to play sniper? then click number one ranger! if not then do what a tech does and for gods sake quit posting this crap ...
Whoa, take it easy there ol' man. The guy has a valid point, imho.

Mercenary

>ÐË
Nov 11, 2004
Sorry Hartman but in the Marine Corps we shoot M16A2 at 200m 300m and 500m for rifle qualification at the range. And it is extreemly accurate (9 out of 10 on a B modified target at 500m).

Magwa your comments were useless - thanks for wasting my time reading them.

Looks like Fireball and Beta get it.

BTW - thanks FMI for fixing the assualt rifle. It is awesome now.

Magwa

Sep 28, 2004
Mercenary said:
Sorry Hartman but in the Marine Corps we shoot M16A2 at 200m 300m and 500m for rifle qualification at the range. And it is extreemly accurate (9 out of 10 on a B modified target at 500m).

Magwa your comments were useless - thanks for wasting my time reading them.

Looks like Fireball and Beta get it.

BTW - thanks FMI for fixing the assualt rifle. It is awesome now.

If you are a marine then you need to show some respect you do not have the attitude of a marine.Now you talk all this crap about the m16 you are firing qualifiing rounds on a controlled range were you get both prone and sitting positions,you are correct you can shoot the m16 like you said but it is not a combat situation and what i am talking about is weapon effective range.loli can shoot a 22 rimfire at 100 yards 9 out of ten in the bull if the conditions are right but does that mean i should fire it a game at that range??NO

son if you ever are in a firefight,(and i really hope you never are)i hope you do not try to ever use that gun at 500 yards,cause all you will do is alert the enemy to your position,so they can lob mortars down your neck and rpg rounds up yo ass...

My whole point on this was that a tech should not be taking out targets accross the screen (your quote)with a assault rifle and no scope. that is a game exploit and needs fixing.that is all i ever meant and that a person who likes to shoot at long range targets should play ranger.

PhatAzz

Phat n Pnunky Phreaky Phunny Phull
Sep 15, 2004
Magwa said:
If you are a marine then you need to show some respect you do not have the attitude of a marine.
Respect goes both ways bro. Your sarcastic comment didn't exactly sound respectful to me either.
Now you talk all this crap about the m16 you are firing qualifiing rounds on a controlled range were you get both prone and sitting positions,you are correct you can shoot the m16 like you said but it is not a combat situation and what i am talking about is weapon effective range.loli can shoot a 22 rimfire at 100 yards 9 out of ten in the bull if the conditions are right but does that mean i should fire it a game at that range??NO
I'm sorry, what are you qualifications to comment on this? Are you in the military too?
son if you ever are in a firefight,(and i really hope you never are)i hope you do not try to ever use that gun at 500 yards,cause all you will do is alert the enemy to your position,so they can lob mortars down your neck and rpg rounds up yo ass...
I'd rather have someone who's in the military make comments like this to a marine. It's rather presumptive and insulting. These guys protect our way of life.
My whole point on this was that a tech should not be taking out targets accross the screen (your quote)with a assault rifle and no scope. that is a game exploit and needs fixing.that is all i ever meant and that a person who likes to shoot at long range targets should play ranger.
I don't see how it is an exploit. It coded like it is. This is UNREAL. Sh!t, I shoot rockets at people at long range...but I don't play ranger. Your logic is totally whacked out. The alt assault rifle is useless unless it's a stationary target in u2xmp for the most part.

I shoot rockets at turrets across the map...should I play ranger? Fear, if I snipered out a turret, I'd use up all my ammo. I just don't understand the reasoning behind your thinking there Magwa. And, it's also very patronizing to call people "son".

Mercenary

>ÐË
Nov 11, 2004
Magwa - go back and reread your posts for the language and tone which you use and then talk to me about respect. Respect is earned so it is not likely you will ever experience any.

Anyway your whole point is moot because having long range secondary assualt rifle fire was always a part of the game and now with the patch it is in again.

Creig

Back from the dead
Apr 17, 2003
Visit site
The "Assualt Rifle" is fine in my opinion. A well trained Tech can kill just about anything with it and also use ground recoil to damper sheild/health. If you ask any other XMP players that are in a clan they will tell you the same. You have to know how to aim it right and you can take out anybody. You can even kill vechiles if you use the alt+fire correctly. I don't see the problem with it. One can even snipe with the damn thing. Try hittting rangers sniping me from hilltops, buildings, etc. If your aim is good it won't be a problem. Even the walking tank(Gunners) sprayed to death with it after some softing up with the alt from a safe range. Well this is just my opinion on the matter. I guess it could be imbalanced, but I refuse to see it as a weakness and continue to use it as primary weapon.

Dec 4, 2004
Creig said:
The "Assualt Rifle" is fine in my opinion. A well trained Tech can kill just about anything with it and also use ground recoil to damper sheild/health. If you ask any other XMP players that are in a clan they will tell you the same. You have to know how to aim it right and you can take out anybody. You can even kill vechiles if you use the alt+fire correctly. I don't see the problem with it. One can even snipe with the damn thing. Try hittting rangers sniping me from hilltops, buildings, etc. If your aim is good it won't be a problem. Even the walking tank(Gunners) sprayed to death with it after some softing up with the alt from a safe range. Well this is just my opinion on the matter. I guess it could be imbalanced, but I refuse to see it as a weakness and continue to use it as primary weapon.

Listen to this man as he may be the father of your children!!!!