I think my fps days may be over.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
I dunno what to call it, maybe lack of interest or I may just be getting sick of playing fps'ers. I started back with the DooM shareware in 94 and I've continued with games such as (in no particular order) DooM][, Quack1/2/3, SiN, Hexen :c, Heretic :c, Unreal (ofcourse), UT (duh :p), Red Faction, JK, and now UT2.

I was really into this game for a while, but after the servers started to dissapear, I seemed to have lost the gaming "steam", I had no motivation, and I still don't, to play the game. Playing on the FactoryUnreal tdm servers have been the only fun I've had in UT2 and now the funs just gone completely.

Maybe it's the lack of good players on more than just two servers, or maybe it's the attitude of some of the players. I don't know exactly what the problem is yet, but it's certainly made me loose interest in the game. I still play it, but that's only once every three weeks or so. I play more of DooM now, than I do with UT2.

:(

SealClubber

Not biased
Oct 30, 2002
Planet Earth
there are alot of games coming out for the FPS division...

- half life 2
- halo for pc
- ut2004
and others!

play what I play...

if you own battlefield1942

go out, get the latest patches and stuff.. and download this mod...

www.desertcombat.com

best thing out on the net! :D

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
I looked at bf, but it didn't hold my interest at all. :(

hl2, nah, I'll probably pass on that one. Though Halo is one I might *might* be interested in.

UT2.5 looks very promising, but they also said that UT2 was going to be a very promising game. And look at the state in which it's community is in now, a rut. I'm not holding any expectations for UT2.5, I'll just sit back and wait to see were the community goes for this game.

But DooM3, I'll just get that for the sake that it's DooM. :D

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
JohnDoe641, you know there used to be a time when there was a proper balance of games out there. You could get an action game, a racing game, a platform game, a strategy game an adventure game, a simulation game, etc.

Now, it seems that the FPS genre is being over-exploited and it's perfectly normal for some people to get tired of it all. After all, these sort of games exarcerbate our visual senses but they don't appeal so much to the intellectual side. Now that 3D worlds have been a reality for some time there must be so much that's possible then simple aim and click.

There are actually a few people out there that crave other types of games and search for old titles on the Internet, the most popular genre being the adventure one.

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
Most frequent players/gamers go through this. I've lost intrest in games more than once allready, but guess what, I'm still here :D
Every now and then I get it on my nerves and think it all sucks, UT or other games can't hold my intrest for longer than 3 mins. Thats the point where I need to go out. I go do some outdoor activities and then realize, I do, and get fed up with those and go back to gaming.
Also as mentioned, get some variation in the games u play. Playing FPS after FPS might get a bit dull.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
The future's bright...

There are also a few more games coming out over the next year or so which are well worth a look:

Doom 3 (winter/spring)
Breed (fall/winter)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R (Q3/4 2004)
Quake 4 (Q3/4 2004)

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
Selerox said:
There are also a few more games coming out over the next year or so which are well worth a look:

Doom 3 (winter/spring)
Breed (fall/winter)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R (Q3/4 2004)
Quake 4 (Q3/4 2004)

Also as mentioned, get some variation in the games u play. Playing FPS after FPS might get a bit dull.

:p

but yeh those are the oncomming titles to look out for. I might add Far Cry and HalfLife 2 to that list :)

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Don't make me send the pdX ninjas over to your house to force you to play UT2k3 until you like it again. ;)

I would be sort of surprised if you quit for good and never looked back. Many people, myself included, have gotten sick of games for awhile and taken a break, then come back in a few months when they feel like playing again. If not, there are lots of other cool hobbies out there. :)

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Pineconeboy said:
Don't make me send the pdX ninjas over to your house to force you to play UT2k3 until you like it again. ;)

I would be sort of surprised if you quit for good and never looked back. Many people, myself included, have gotten sick of games for awhile and taken a break, then come back in a few months when they feel like playing again. If not, there are lots of other cool hobbies out there. :)
Just so you know PCB, I've been in the martial arts for over ten years. So good luck with the ninjas. :p

I just got my 3rd rma'd gainward 5900 today and it actually works this time. I'm seeing UT2 in a whole new world now. Everything is set on max details and I'm getting better fps than I did with my 4200, and those were fairly low settings. :D

So, maybe what I needed was a small change, like seeing the game the way it should look like. I hope this keeps the gaming urge alive in me.

But you are right, I would never completely give up on gaming with fps'ers. I may leave for a while and come back when there's a really good game out, but I'd never give up my trigger finger for good. :)

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
No one mentioned Tribes3? I'm way looking forward to that (depite the fiasco that 2 was). It's on this engine even... gotta love it.

I usually don't have this problem because I keep my bonds diversified. My friends that dont' game, dont' let me put 30hrs a week in on games anymore, they always drag me out, and make me drink, and hang out with them and stuff...

Then if I ever get a lil bored, I got a few consoles, and I play NS, and Postal2.

I wish I could beat UT2k3 into the ground like I did UT. I would if I could, but I can't. If you play during the day, or early evening and you think the server situation sux, you should play after hours. I work 5p-1a, and play 2a-7a, and man there is not much of a selection then... I play evenings on my days off and get all excited, 'cause my populated server list triples. It wasn't like that in UT. There were always games...

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
I just tried out some server filtering options, and was quite depressed at the state of the servers too. No empty servers, only weaponstay, no insta or zoom insta, maybe something else I'm forgetting, and it came back with 41 servers :( Most of which had only 2 or 3 people in them.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I take it none of you remember the "dry" times from Unreal. It was ten times more depressing than this is. Now I can at least hop online and find a server or two running custom maps with 6-10 people playing plain CTF.

Oh, and then Epic released that little "botpack" known as UT. :D

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
:lol:

I only play UT2003 a couple hours a day usually. If that. I beta test other games so I feel some obligation to play those as well ;)

I do remember in Unreal only finding 10 servers in my whole list. Of course I also remember having to go through the MPlayer gateway and not even knowing if someone was on the server, let alone who it was...

Moshman

Inquisitivness Owns
Aug 6, 2003
I remember back in Quake 1. Great players, simple gameplay. Now days its this big macho sport now. Nasty players with attitudes and a sea of mods. To me one of the best parts back in Q1 was the "community" of good natured players get together to have some good old fashoned deathmatch. That really gave me "the vibe". Now we got hacks and cheaters and people calling you newbies when you beat them. I kinda have to agree with you, it doean't feel like it used to.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I think it's because, IMO, the average age of gamers has gone way down. I think in Quake it was like 17-30, now I think it's more like 11-24...unfortunately most of the people playing games are the "l337" generation of wanna be hackers, cheaters, and non-n00bs.

Ruprecht

Cheeky Monkey
I quit UT countless times, then again I agree with aenubis, the server situation is abysmal(spelling.) I used to work the graveyard shift and in UT there was WAY more full servers at 5am than UT2K3 at 8pm. Sometimes, you just get burned out on a game. FPS games are the only one's I play online, although I did play starcraft a lot when it came out. When will blizzard do the sequel? That's one game that deserves a sequel! I am looking forward to HL2 and Deus Ex2, those should be great, and I love a good FPS single player game. I played Generals, it's a good game but Red Alert and Red Alert2 were the best westwood ever did. Tanya's hot! When UT2K4 comes out, I WILL buy it, but FFS Epic better not blow it. Give us the gameplay, give us the features we want, give us a crapload of really good maps and give us a DECENT facing worlds reincarnation. UT had Deck 16 and Face. Those 2 maps are the reason so many of us got hooked. I know a lot of you used to be those n00bs sniping from the ledges in Face. Crap, I got way off topic, didnt I. :D

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
hal said:
I take it none of you remember the "dry" times from Unreal. It was ten times more depressing than this is. Now I can at least hop online and find a server or two running custom maps with 6-10 people playing plain CTF.

Oh, and then Epic released that little "botpack" known as UT. :D
I don't remember it. But that may have been because all I really played was co-op, and I've been playing Unreal since it was that lovely single maped tech demo. :D

The funny thing is that there's still plenty of co-op servers running for unreal and when I join a server, it's generally a laid back and fun attitude. Whereas on TheFactoryUnreal TDM servers, I've got to work really hard to have a good time and I have to ignore the people using terms like Jew as a derogatory name and calling everyone a newb when they die. It's not happening as much, but when there's one person who does it, it's almost non stop. Then I totally lose interest in the game.

I'm hoping that when UT2.5 is released, the new people brought in will have a much better attitude, because the more I think about it, the more I realize that the communities attitude has more of an effect on me then the cruddy maps in the game.