Borderlands PC Gets Gearbox Lovin'

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
According to a confirmed story at Destructoid, the PC version of Borderlands is getting the star-treatment. Not only will high-end PCs gamers see the game at its best, graphically speaking, but the menu and inventory system are being designed specifically for the mouse/keyboard combination.

Other nice touches include the ability to export a .jpg of any one of the (reportedly millions) unique weapon combinations you find. The game will also ship with a timedemo benchmark utility. Steam users will also be glad to know that Gearbox will soon announce that Borderlands will be available on that platform.

Finally, Kotaku seems to have unexpectedly called out Gearbox's Mike Neumann on an offer he made on Twitter:

"Twitter me a screen of you (pre-order) buying the game and I'll play BLs with you and give you loot."

Blue's News points out that he has just declared he will make good on the offer.

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
Good news that it will be coming to steam.

Just wondering though if I get a retail copy, I want it for the box art, can I use the same CD key to register my copy on steam and download the game without buying it twice?

RoadKillGrill

Got Lead?
Dec 11, 2004
rahkogen.net
Great to hear that it will have a steam release.

That is really how I've been buying all my games for a while, not seen a "collectors" edition worth collecting to buy a retail copy. Games don't even have boxes, some devs are so lazy the manual is a pdf.

Not lazy, but cheap perhaps or saving money. Besides, do you really want to cut down a whole tree for a manual?

I will also agree to the fact that having a mouse + Keyboard menu is news worthy.

However, I'm extremely excited about the PC version and Steam as that's how I have bought the last 4-5 games for PC that I now own. And that's really cool for the Gearbox guy to do that.

I was gonna preorder it anyways, but this should be fun.

-5 points because this is just another potentially awesome game that's coming out too soon to other potentially awesome games. I don't have enough money to pay the water bill!

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Will the retail-version use Steam as DRM as well ?

Gone are the days when buying software meant you got something worth holding on to.
Might as well use torrents instead ...
Why pay for something when you're only allowed to rent it anyway ?

Last edited:

dub

Feb 12, 2002
Precisely because a lot of companies don't give that extra attention to the PC versions any more, this is good news. <3
(and also shows other companies that we can actually do with at least a PC-optimised menu taking advantage of the fact that most are on KB and mouse ;))
Hope this game does well on PC... would show devs it's worth the effort.

Armagon917

TOAST
Mar 6, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
It's a sad day for PC gaming when mouse and keyboard support becomes something to shout about.

developers have been treating the PC like an afterthought for a while. i think what Gearbox is saying in this statement, is that they are going to address the obvious issues we see so many other developers ignoring.

i think it's great that Gearbox is basically saying, look, we are not going to overlook the obvious, while many other developers do. what's to complain about? btw, the statement was one that meant a PC specific menu UI specifically for m+kb and not m+kb support in general for the entire game. that's kinda what you make it sound like.

sounds like Borderlands PC will get the proper attention. they are kindly saying in a very PR way, we will not give you a bull**** console menu. i applaud Gearbox and they in turn will get my money.

Last edited:

q_mi_4_3

Target pratice for others....
Jan 14, 2002
Somewhere in this world
what's to complain about? btw, the statement was one that meant a PC specific menu UI specifically for m+kb and not m+kb support in general for the entire game. that's kinda what you make it sound like.
That is what is being said. They may support kb/m with the menu, but then can have the whole gameplay be design for a gamepad.