Thoughts on Assault...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BooGiTyBoY

The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR
Fav map was AS-ColdSteel2 from Eavy's AS bonus pack.

And /me slaps you for this:
NeoNite said:
Included the lame impacthammer launching etc.. or the hard way?

In UT it was all part of the game. It was only lame if you didn't know how to defend against it which was quite easy. In fact one of the reasons Coldsteel was a fav of mine was because instead of saying "oh lookit all this 'lame' crap people are doing in these maps... let me nerf the hammer jump and such" like they did for the shield in 2k4 assault, the map was designed with these techniques in mind and it was awesome.

That was also part of the fun of playing as a clan... having that teammate ready to rocket boost you on Mazon or launch you/do a backwards hammer-jump off the dock in frigate over to the deck and such. Those "lame" tactics actually took some skill (I've never used a hammer-jump bind in my life) and teamwork to pull off. It also added depth to the gametype instead of being a 10 minute spamfest like 2k4 AS is.

If you mean the lame stuff like the old overlord bug where you could shoot under the flag... or the Mazon bug where you could block the gates and stuff... yeah.. that stuff was uber-lame and users of such tactics should be coated with honey, hung by their toes in a pit, and have buckets of fire ants poured in on top of them. :)

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
UT assault maps, most, can be completed in 10-15 seconds. And that's what I call .. well .. boring. Maybe lame was the wrong word, eh...

Part of the game? Indirectly.

You didn't mention the bug in as-oceanfloor.
Defending that level is useless online.

Coldsteel2 is fun.

Ever tried as-coup?

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
eh what bug on oceanfloor... as-abyss which is like oceanfloor but for ut2k4 didnt seem to have bugs in it, at least when i played with bots on it because nobody hosted it online...

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Well, correct me if I'm wrong.. anyone, but you can destroy the computers from the outside of the level (I think most of them).

-> Arg.. I meant saying: When you're in the water, you don't have to enter the "base".

Last edited:

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
10-15 minutes... assault should be that or faster, wasn't fast enough in ut2k4 compared to ut99, this was partly because of the lame ass weapons balance and partly because of the map to player scale which made the game slow down at certain choke points. If the weapons balance is more crazy and spammy it be alot more fun. it needs to be FASTER, FASTER, FASTER........... If conquest isn't frantic enough, it'll suffer in game play, anyway it sound like an XMP rip off.

[DF]phalanx

bgutblower=true
Aug 15, 2002
manchester uk
Visit site
hmm XMP is a tought game to rip off
owns UT2K4's attempts at teamwork anyway at one stage it owned UT2K4 then atari killed it :(
although an XMP like type would be good it would go the same way as assault as its to complex for newbies to grasp

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
well xmp had only 2 things that mattered in game, spawn points and energy points...the goal of the game was that you capture the enemy's 'flag' which they called it an artifact to keep with the U2 stoyryline... there were 2 at your base, and 2 at the enemies, if they cap both of yours you lose , if you cap both of theirs you win
then the other important thing in xmp is energy, which is gotten from energy points that you captured powers your base to let you cap their artifacts , and powers your vehicles, and engineer class deployables, and turrets, and other things, and each of those things require different power levels and stuff
then you have the spawn points , whose purpose is purely to let you surround the enemies base and make the game thoroughly unenjoyable for them

im sure that conquest would have important things on the map like xmp, but instead of just 2 types of points and a fixed ctf gameplay style, they would have assault-like variety... which is the goal i guess... and the matches will be persistent , which makes them sound like theyre gonna last forever but it would be boring if they run out of fresh objectives , so i am guessing conquest matches would last for days where you are stuck on a particular team and your progress depends both on yourself and people who play when your not online...

i am not a big fan of assault, it has its moments, but mostly i thought it was a bit lame,

from what ive read in the gametype conquest, teh fact that the terrain changes to suit one team or another, will be good, it sounds a bit like ons, assualt and tdm together really, if epic can pull it off, i think this gametype will be an awesome one.

but still...go ctf!

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Well, how many players does Assault have (average) compared to DM/TDM/CTF?

Come to think off it, how many players does UT2004 have?

I could use some feedback from Americans, Europeans, Asians etc... Please state when you've played the game.

Include wether you've played UT2004 on a weekday or the weekend.

I'd just like to know the average amount of servers/players for the "popular" gametypes.

Thank you.

Butcher.

Omnip)o(tents meat shield
May 9, 2005
England
www.omnipotents.com
well on the Omnipotents server at GMT times (England) the server is about half full or more from 8am and at about 3pm it starts filling up all the way and stays full till well after
2am (the logest i have stoped up.

here are server stats click

if you click the "AS Player ranking and Server usage stats " it will give you the ammount of players over hours weeks months and years.

that's everyday of the week.

Last edited:

dark_elf

Apr 29, 2005
ok datajax i completly agree with u. assault is a game type i love. and the thing that carmatic was saying about unwheel, well ya its fun but remember unwheel is a lap race map its really boring if u ask me go play need for speed if u want that. the maps i think that datajax is taking about are as-pyrab2, as-pathwaynaive, as-scorpionrace, and all those other ones. And i have to say that those maps can be a lot of fun. and its really disappointing that they are going to take assault out of ut. i think epic should make a assault game type with all kind of racing, trial, or other type of maps that u see in the assualt games online. the possiblites are endless for epic if they where to do that. and this new game type that seems to be taking the spot over assault looks cool but i want the real assault too.