[UT1999]special effect added to a player model?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

}{ero /\/\ata

Mecha-Master
Jul 8, 2002
....a big fish o.o?
Visit site
can i make a player model have the ability to crawl on the walls & maybe the ceiling (i'm not to good at spelling) without it editing the gametype & stuff? & does anyone when a good code for a melee weapon? i'm thinking of making a bug like thing for ut, but i want it to be able to do what most bugs can, so, can anyone help me out with this? & if the melle code is made by someone else, just tell me who & i'll be sure that they get the credit for it, i'm no glory hug.

Dryn

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site

Urm, you need to get your player model to be used with some specially tailored code: you can do this a number of ways, but its a _lot_ more involved than just adding a new mesh to the game. You can look on the wiki (I'd hope its there at least) or on the 'net, for the info needed to create your own PlayerPawn actor.

From there, you need to go through and change the fundemental physics of this pawn; not an easy process, but you can probally create a new state which handles this; not unlike say, swimming, and how it changes physics.... If this is your first code-project, you may want to try something simpler.

From there, spider physics in 436 is very odd, if I remember right: you can't walk from one poly to another, but rather if you land on a poly you stick to it, though your movement controls are a bit messed up. (stick, walk along, and fall off at the edge)

Though possible, I'd imagine, the basic unreal engine (esspecially 436) is not designed for AVP style wall walking; a lot of code would be needed to change this (I know, I've tried ;)) Neways, this is a pretty large code project, esspecially compared to importing a slightly tweaked player model into the game. I wish you luck, do some research, and don't fill the forum up with indistinct questions and single sentence answers.

}{ero /\/\ata

Mecha-Master
Jul 8, 2002
....a big fish o.o?
Visit site
too much for n00bi to coding like me. so i'm just gonna make a reptile-like(i'm not good at sounding out words to spell them) alien. it'll be my own design, though it'll look a tiny bit like the one in UT2k3. thanks anyway people.

Shambler[sixpack]

May 3, 2001
Ireland
Visit site
Here's a link to a post asking the same thing before

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106680

I posted some code there that I did before (I didn't know how to use code tags then tho so it's quite messy) but that doesn't have any advanced rotation stuff in it....

It's quite easy to just rip the UpdateRotation or something function out of PlayerSpidering in UT2k3 and patch it on to that code (done it before) so that should give you something very similar to the UT2k3 stuff...
The only problem is that you can sometimes get locked into some bizzare rotations when crossing onto another poly :) but I'll leave you to sort that out if you wish ;)