Deus Ex 2 demo

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
my first impression's were very lackluster, but i decided to follow the advice of the tweaker's and got the game running fairly well. It's like once you drop the mouse lag to 0 it "feels" like the frame rate is much higher, or at the very least it makes combat actually possible.

As far as the "feel" of the game i can definetly feel like it's Deus-ex. The NPC conversations about the goverment, the odd little novels you find laying about, the hacking, ect ect. The weapons are "ok", meaning that they're crappy, but grow on you. I'm not too keen on all weapons sharing a single "ammo", but i guess when your facing the daunting task of making a world as large and detailed as that of the DX's you try to find ways of simplifing where ever you can.

I really don't care for the inventory system, as i prefered the older "diablo" style. Infact i dont even like the hud. But thankfully you can set it's transparancy so... it's tolerable.

but.. overall despite all the things i Don't like about it, i'm still a huge fan of the original, and i can see it's magic presence in the demo. I'll probably play through it mulitple ways just to see what i can do.

Last edited:

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
I think I know why I'm not impressed by this demo.

Deux Ex's demo was the entire opening mission, and you had an entire park, dock, building, and several little places to work with. It felt huge. The DX2 demo, on the other hand, feels much too "squished." Hopefully the full game isn't so cramped.

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
hmm, I'm not sure how open the full game will be. Only a few levels in the first game were indoor. According to the DX2 screen shots, it doesn't look as huge, I guess the XBox can't handle big open levels ;)

Feb 26, 2001
England
If you need to blame someone blame either:

A) The publishers!
B) The Developers in general.

Chances are the publishers pushed for a release date for the demo, and didnt give their internal QA department enough time to test it fully.

DamienW

I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir
Feb 4, 2001
Bayonne, France
Freon said:
hmm, I'm not sure how open the full game will be. Only a few levels in the first game were indoor. According to the DX2 screen shots, it doesn't look as huge, I guess the XBox can't handle big open levels ;)

Deus Ex cramped levels that were in supposedly open cities :

All of hong kong
90% of Paris
The new york area around the bar and hotel
anything unatco-related
the gas station
battery park
list goes on.....

In fact, save for liberty island, not much of it really gave the impression that you were in a city. Besides, the X-Box can handle OFP and the silent cartographer. No, i think it's more a design decision or a limit by the amount of detail they want to have. Lots of things to do in an area makes for small areas ;)

Cold Killer

I will Kill Bill
Feb 24, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
Freon said:
Yeah, that's one thing I'm mortified of. The thing I liked best about the original were the relatively huge areas with tons of NPCs and hidden areas to explore, and the fact that a lot of these were outdoors:(

Feb 26, 2001
England
If they have a nightclub in the game I'm buying it, killing everyone in that area in the original was great fun. I never actually completed that game, perhaps I should go back to it before I get the sequal.

cleve-ntt

random in the head.
Oct 21, 2003
Lost.
Visit site
Nah, the graphics have got to be good eventually. Anyone remembert PC Gamers article? In that the gfx looked awesome and that was ages ago. Multitexturing and stuff. I think its gotta be to keep the size down hasn't it.

Edit: But hey, why bother with graphics - it is invisible war aint it?

Imagine DX:The text based adventure.

Last edited:

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
this might sound kinda obvious, but i've found much better frame rates with my AA turned off. If your frame rate is horrible then you might wana try that if you haven't.

Mertek

Aug 26, 2001
cleve-ntt said:
Imagine DX:The text based adventure.
Imagine, the only offshoot of Deus Ex that sold less than 100 copies in the history of the earth.

If it was free, I'd give it a whirl.

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
The best adventure games were the ones with the ol' parser interface, like Space Quest 1-3 and Kings Quest 1-4. Perfect combination of graphics and text.

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
i always found humor in text adventure games when you got frustraited enough to type in such commands as "lick my balls" or " F**k self" and got replys along the lines of "you try for a few minutes but can't seem to get it right".

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
It's pretty bad if you need to tweak a demo to get it to run properly. That is a bad sign. I hope it is not like KOTOR where you are best to wait for the first few patches before purchase. I would get the demo, but I want this game to kick ass, and I don't want to have any surprises taken away by playing a demo. I'll wait for the Gamespot review, and cross my fingers that it is an 8 or higher. When we should be swimming in an assload of awsome pre-Christmas releases, there are too many rushed products coming out just to make the pre-Christmas release schedule. I hope DX2 isn't one of them. But it is quite obvious that the demo was rushed. Please God, make sure DX2 is cool. :notworthy:

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
well to be honest the only thing that really needed to be tweaked (IMHO) was setting the mouselag to 0. I have to assume that they only wanted the mouselag to effect the menu's, and didn't realize it was actually in the gameplay. (i hope).

I've probably played through the demo 20+ times by now, and have found something different each time, or tried something different, or learned something that was probably obvious.

Performance wise, i've found that by setting my AA to 2X (instead of the quinqux 4x thing i usually use) i get much better frame rates, and i can't stand the "bloom" feature which just makes everything look blury. after that i can run the game in 800 X 600 acceptably. Intrestingly i don't hit any noticeable performance decline between using high, medium, or low quality models, textures, ect.. leaving me to believe that the demo only has one set, or that they don't work.

As far as the gameplay goes, i'm infatuated with it the same way i was with the first DX. There's so many different ways to aproach something, it's fun just trying to figure out which is the most fun. I mean even from the tactical point of view and you decided to kill "sak" there's a bunch of ways to do it. One of the funnier ways i've found of doing it:

Get the batton and the glass destabilizer from the first locked appartment, and KO the outside guard. Sneak up the ladder, and "borrow" the biotoxin container. Then go back down, and up the broken elevator chute, and go and talk with ms. Sak. now drop the big container of toxic gas on her desk. Shoot out the window to the heliport. Now everyone will get upset, but wont treat you as a hostile. Shoot the container till it exploads and exit via the window. Good chance that all the guards are dead along with miss sak.

The only thing i really don't like ( or miss from DX1) is the inventory system, or just the user interface in general. Click and drag is much more instinctive then the "console" style that's being used, also i loved the "space management" aspect of trying to lug around all those huge weapons. Now it's just 16 slots , each of which can hold either a candy bar, or Balistic missle doesn't matter.