Simple Idea for DTAS

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kitty.cat

It'll work, just not the right way.
Sep 18, 2005
Oregon
I'd assume this'd be easy to program, since it'd be just some number variables to change...

The idea:
So I was thinking, gee it'd be fun to play DTAS on something like Peru that was small, but I realize that given the nature of DTAS at the moment it'd pretty much suck.
I mean, a good rush could stop the flag before it's even been placed. And the cap distance would be pretty pathetic for gameplay.

From this spawned a thought.
What about variable placement times and cap distances?

That way some place like Peru could have a smaller cap radius, and a faster placement time. Or a bigger map like MONW could have not necessarily a longer place time but a bigger cap radius...

Ultimately, to have DTAS shape its play type to the size of the map.
It could all be set in the host's .ini file or whatever so he/she could put whatever cap size and place time he/she wanted for whatever map.
Hell, put Peru with a 100m cap radius. Then it'd just be "clean out the enemy forces!" (Kidding)

Anyway. Why not?
Variable cap size/placement time based on the map?
Yay or nay?

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
DTAS works just fine on small maps. The capture radius is small enough, any smaller and it would force you to sit almost ontop of the flag which doesn't allow you to position yourself in a tactical location.

It could be a bit bigger for open maps like MONWfix but that is unnecessary.

If a server want to run a bunch of tiny ass maps like MWH and Peru, then they can always edit the DTAS .ini config to make flag place time zero.

mat69

just fooling around
Dec 9, 2001
Österreich
www.combatmaps.de
I guess there aren't many newbies anyway and I it wouldn't be more confusing as they get a "note" that they are in range. Is it possible to have a big defense distance but a small capture distance? So that defenders can still get a good position while the attackers are forced to get close to the flag?

- Lich -

Jul 1, 2004
Well, that will confuse vets, too, because we can have the same map on different servers with different settings. I don't think it will be that nice...

ant75

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jan 11, 2001
Paris
Actually i think it could very much be adjusted automatically (no need for ini) : just use the distance between the attacking and the defending team's spawn points, and make the cap radius vary accordingly.
It's a pretty good idea, but if the intention is just to make us play dtas on peru then i say NO.

Kitty.cat

Sep 18, 2005
Oregon
ant75 said:
but if the intention is just to make us play dtas on peru then i say NO.

It's not :D

I was just thinking changing the radius depending on the map would make it a lot nicer.

I like the idea of the defense vs. capture radius change.
That's pretty neat...

Black.cat

May 11, 2006
Michigan
Yeah your right, ppl are playing other games...but INF is still a game I will play until everyone stops...right now its about 25+ who play just about everyday, which is good....MUST KEEP INF ALIVE!!!

Kitty.cat

Sep 18, 2005
Oregon
There are plenty of people who still play, and I think it would be dishonourable to INF to shrug it off and say "meh, INF is dying." It's a great game, and for some of us it's all we play.

Constructive Criticism: "how about a bigger defense radius?" - Ant75
Horrible Criticism: "INF is dead. Go away." - Mat69

My point is. Treating INF like it's dead isn't going to help anything.
Realistically, and even if it means waiting for UT2k7, if we hold on to INF until INF 3.0 is conceived, that'll be some accomplishment. Maybe it won't be SS, who knows. But INF ain't dead. (And neither is DTAS.)

mat69

just fooling around
Dec 9, 2001
Österreich
www.combatmaps.de
:lol:
You do get the difference between cynicism and criticism?
Black's post was suggesting to abolish (I interpreted it that way) DTAS, because "none" is playing and THAT's definitely not the case! I commented on that post with the same manner.

Btw. I'm one of those plenty people in the last time.

Edit: Did you get up that early or are you still awake?

Last edited:

Kitty.cat

Sep 18, 2005
Oregon
mat69 said:
:lol:
You do get the difference between cynicism and criticism?
Black's post was suggesting to abolish (I interpreted it that way) DTAS, because "none" is playing and THAT's definitely not the case! I commented on that post with the same manner.

Btw. I'm one of those plenty people in the last time.

Edit: Did you get up that early or are you still awake?

My point is, sardonicism isn't the solution.

And what do you mean regarding my sleeping?
I'm up at 3:12 AM. *shrug*
I'm an insomniac.

Kitty.cat

Sep 18, 2005
Oregon
mat69 said:
Ok, converted the times wrong.

Am I drunk right now or did I really say that: "INF is dead. Go away." - Mat69 "cause I want to play alone on the servers" ;)

LOL.
'Cos bots are predictable :D