Top Ten Game Clichés

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mxtrmntr

(Formerly known as Mxtrmntr)
Nov 3, 2001
The Island of the Day Before
Visit site
Starry Might said:
What about the often ridiculous portrayals of MALES?

Men have muscles. Get over it. :p

(BTW, I'm a heterosexual female.)

How about "SMASHING crates"! :D

They should have used something like "Sexism/Gender stereotypes in games" (and that includes the laughable E3 shows and the like). And it should have been put at number 1, because it's exactly what I consider most annoying about the gaming industry at the moment.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
How about "Males wearing armour are built like tanks, females wearing armour wear just enough to cover their.... selves.... and then leave their legs, arms, stomachs and upper chests wide open and exposed."

Starry Might

bFemale=True
Let's stop talking about how men and women are portrayed in games, and let's talk about CRATES! :D

SquirrelZero said:
Rating games by how soon you encounter a crate? Hooo boy... :lol:

Interesting read, but that site's dated (the original "Deus Ex" wasn't out yet when that was written, for one thing). Oh well... (*BOOKMARKS*)

And speaking of crates...how 'bout SHOOTING crates?! [||] :enforcer:

*CALMS DOWN*

Caravaggio

Custom User Text goes here.
Oct 2, 2002
US
Visit site
Try "Mafia".
The sad part: it's the same night you meet the chick too.

It is kind of a strange subject, the film theory that there are only 6 or 7 basic story lines could probably be applied easily. But then, there's not excuse for the barrels...

*shiver*
...the barrels...

Starry Might

bFemale=True
How's about cliches related to specific genres? Awhile back, I read a list of cliches in most console RPGs...I'm not in the mood to find the link, though.

Ooooooor, how's about cliches related to specific game SERIES? For example, every "Resident Evil" game (that I know of) ends with a timed explosion ("The self-destruct system has been activated...").

Last edited: