Unreal PSX

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizzy

The Banhammer Cometh
May 30, 2009
United Kingdom
Quick question (If you can't remember, no worries)

Was the quadshot in the PSX version actually functional? The one in the PC final was not implemented and the mesh was broken too.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Btw eVOLVE, do you remember anything specific about your levels? I mean were they rather late in the game? Or their settings, theme, etc. I have forgot if you told me earlier or not.

Also I wonder how player was choosing the episodes, if they were linked one to each other, or you had to choose them from menu, or from a hub map, just like in original quake?

Last edited:

eVOLVE

Jan 27, 2010
I had e2l1 which was a moon base. Split into 5 sections I believe. Also the very last level. With skaarj queen etc.

All the levels played out like the original unreal though. Level numbers were generally internal use only.

There were cutscenes though throughout the game. Those were also my domain.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I had e2l1 which was a moon base. Split into 5 sections I believe. Also the very last level. With skaarj queen etc.

All the levels played out like the original unreal though. Level numbers were generally internal use only.

There were cutscenes though throughout the game. Those were also my domain.
Ah good to know...so there was a Queen again like in Unreal?

I wondered if you had something to do with the cutscenes, since you were expert at cutscenes at various Unreal and UT mods (and if I am not mistaken you did some quake or quake 2 stuff too, right?). I haven't checked only some of your really old maps, some nali castle setting, dunno if you ever released that movie map though.
The coding in the NPSript file was by Nick Pelling though, in the levels Matthew Kagle sent me.

Last edited:

eVOLVE

Jan 27, 2010
True. I can't believe anyone else knew that. :) that was a decision I made myself. I think it was just on unreal difficulty as a nice bonus.

Yeah nick was coding all of the cinematics stuff. Interestingly it was the inspiration for UMS: unreal movie studio, that my group released.

Np script was called that because of nick pelling. Np. :)

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
He found it somewhere.
EDIT: I just found it too:
http://www.hellscrag.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=171&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

The forum is going to be taken down though, so I am saving parts of that thread now.

And also that pretty much confirms what I thought all of the time, although I was never told directly that. The bull**** about framerates and lighting were just excuses.

EDIT2: Tell me if showing that thread is inappropriate and I will remove the link.

Last edited:

eVOLVE

Jan 27, 2010
I definitely never had access to any PSX hardware code. Us designers were just working on PC.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Were there any new monsters or models after all, aside the implant gun I suppose?
I think you, or someone else told me that there were lower res textures, but mostly the textures from Unreal and UT (at least crypt2, which was originally in beta version of Unreal though) and no new ones, or were there even few new ones? Given the fact there are many unused textures in all the utx packs, that might not have been necessary at all though (to create new textures).

Last edited:

eVOLVE

Jan 27, 2010
I believe the DM/AI characters were all new. Yeah, the resolution of all of the textures were reduced. They could be swapped out to the normal res ones though without much effort.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I believe the DM/AI characters were all new. Yeah, the resolution of all of the textures were reduced. They could be swapped out to the normal res ones though without much effort.

Did they use different names? The low res packages. Or did they have exactly same names? If they had different names, then the map would need to be reimported again to use the normal res textures.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Still, the low res textures might be useful to save for something. I hope we will see the whole stuff to get released, really. Can't wait for it. :)

EDIT: I wonder what the real title would be. Unreal PSX was a working title. It could have had that title when gone gold though, as other games were named like that too, but I doubt it would have that title if it was also released for PC as second expansion.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
guys i am kinda a noob about unreal1.has the psx version new content ? i mean beside maps.

Yes, just read what was said already. It has working quadshot, implant gun, which I am still not sure how it exactly worked, except that you could prolly posses some pawns, but dunno if all the pawns and if you could use their weapons as well, or not (as in if it was used as some kind of disguise). There were new pawns, but it seems only as these deathmatch bosses. Maybe some new variants of the old enemies were present as well, well I guess eVOLVE can answer it in better details, if he remembers..

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I wonder if the Unreal PSX quadshot mesh was remade becuase, iirc the one in PC Unreal was broken, although I don't know why it was broken in the first place...

It isn't really broken if you use the animations right (even if it has like two only, it doesn't look that bad) and that skin bug can be solved easily by removing the texture option or adding check to script, it pastes the actor sprite texture into the skin part, making it look kinda weird..

Look here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvZUnLjuvow
The quadshot (based on the oldquadshot mod, excpet this one doen't cause scriptwarnings and is fixed, plus is different due to the mod etc) part starts at around 0:21 and it is not on 227.

Gizzy

The Banhammer Cometh
May 30, 2009
United Kingdom
Ahh, thanks for the info Leo ;)

Another +1 for Unreal PSX - working Quadshot :p

I wonder what the original was like....I reckon it would be fully working in some beta of Unreal somewhere. It would be an old beta though since the Flak Cannon would not be there.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Ahh, thanks for the info Leo ;)

Another +1 for Unreal PSX - working Quadshot :p

I wonder what the original was like....I reckon it would be fully working in some beta of Unreal somewhere. It would be an old beta though since the Flak Cannon would not be there.

There were some promotional screenshots from late alpha versions of Unreal which had player wielding the quadshot. The PSX version might not work same as that old one though.

Status
Not open for further replies.