picture compression/conversion

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

atozix

Jan 18, 2004
Hi Allll, :)

I have made a skybox, and to keep the image good res i made the pics 512 X 512 bitmaps which are 768k... (lowering to 245 colors was not acceptable)..

Now within unreal editor i compressed them to DXT 5 making each image 342k..

What I would like to know is what is the difference between DXT 1, 3, 5 as i notice that the different formats are used for different pictures within unreal textures ???????? Which do you use for what ?

Also does anyone know of a good FREE *.dds to *.bmp converter?

Attached for your viewing is a pic of the skybox with basic terrain sketch that i made with Terragen...( a good free skybox creator)...

cheeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrssssssssss ato

Attachments

• atomarss2.jpg
    atomarss2.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 75

Vito

Mar 18, 2002
http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/UnrealTexturing

In short, DXT1 for images without alpha (or only 1-bit masking), or DXT3 or DXT5 if you need different qualities of alpha.

DDS to BMP means at some point you'll have to go back to DDS, which means you're going to lose a LOT of quality. DDS is like JPEG.

atozix

Jan 18, 2004
Hi Vito,,,,, :)

thx for the info .... well I'll probly just use dxt 5 most of the time then..
its great having the compression within the editor but it would be handy to be able to compress externally too.

AHA i found one ... for anyone who is looking for the converter here is a good dds to various formats including bmp application that is free--- dxtbmp

http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htm

to make bmp to dxt x (with my ati card) The Compressonator 0.75 is free and good..

cheeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrssssssssss a

Last edited: