UE2 - UT2kX Game is going to be deadly frozen.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

EvilT-ModZ

Un-Gravitify
Aug 3, 2011
Russia
www.set-games.ru
Hello there,

I've got new problem today. I compiled Monster.uc and MonsterController.uc to Postal 2, all works same as original in ut2004, but.. Time by time game with these pawns is going to be deadly frozen. I checked mesh and animation, it's fine (have same problem before, was my failure in default properties, solution was is to remove the string MeshAnimation=SkeletalMesh''). I think it's happens when controller loses Enemy, but it's not always.

I can post the code, but it all the same as ut2004. (Just only pawn's code changed)

Any help will be great for me :)

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
Does the log file say anything? With 'state' code (of which there is a lot in the AI/Controller code) I've found it is easy to freeze stuff up. I've also experienced VERY hard computer lockups/freezes when objects (like pawns, projectiles etc.) are spawned and there are collision errors (like things intersecting with each other) , which usually adds a couple of lines to the log file, assuming you can read the log file by running the game in windowed mode while the log screen is also up.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
I'd like to point out that there have been more than enough cases that show many many bugs and missing engine features in Postal 2, compared to UT2004. I'm actually surprised the code compiled. But getting it compiled doesn't actually mean it works the same as in UT2004. For example, most of the MonsterController functions don't call parent class implementations. That means, among other things, you can't really be sure Postal 2 actually calls all necessary events - they might not even exist. The compiler won't tell you about these problems, as it can't expect those functions to exist if the script looks ok without them.

EvilT-ModZ

Un-Gravitify
Aug 3, 2011
Russia
www.set-games.ru
Thank you for replies, meowcat and Wormbo!

Does the log file say anything? With 'state' code (of which there is a lot in the AI/Controller code) I've found it is easy to freeze stuff up. I've also experienced VERY hard computer lockups/freezes when objects (like pawns, projectiles etc.) are spawned and there are collision errors (like things intersecting with each other) , which usually adds a couple of lines to the log file, assuming you can read the log file by running the game in windowed mode while the log screen is also up.

The last, what log said are warnings about "controller is losing enemy".
Interesting thing, what I had same problem before (other pawn..), but it was caused by drawing system (I'd believe), when pawn's Mesh was using wrong MeshAnimation set to same Mesh (MeshAnimation=SkeletalMesh...)

I'd like to point out that there have been more than enough cases that show many many bugs and missing engine features in Postal 2, compared to UT2004. I'm actually surprised the code compiled. But getting it compiled doesn't actually mean it works the same as in UT2004. For example, most of the MonsterController functions don't call parent class implementations. That means, among other things, you can't really be sure Postal 2 actually calls all necessary events - they might not even exist. The compiler won't tell you about these problems, as it can't expect those functions to exist if the script looks ok without them.

I've surprised too, at first sight it works the same, just without things, like "tricks/dodges", I stubbed few not important(I think) code parts with it.
Hmm.. It's would be good to compare engine parent functions in UT and Postal, what used in MonsterController.uc

And another question, what is doing bEnemyAcquired in UT2004? I've stubbed it, probably it causes the problem.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
That bool is used by native Pawn rotation code to switch between RotationRate.Yaw and AcquisitionYawRate depending on whether the pawn is already facing the enemy or not. It is declared in the Controller class in UT2004. It is set to True somewhere in native code and reset to False in various places in UnrealScript.