Rent is too damn high

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
"Don't send me any damn money!" When's the last time one of you right wingers heard one of your favorites say that?" :lol:

Correction, both major political parties solicit for donations.

"People can't afford to live here.."

And yet, New York has rent control measures in place. The issue is that too many people want to live there even though they clearly cannot afford it.

Yeah 'cause unregulated capitalism says 'it's ok to send all your jobs to cheaper places, like Dubai and Mexico and whatever middle eastern countries we're currently involved in wars with".. etc.

While many companies do send their jobs overseas, we also get jobs from foreign companies setting up shop here, such as Honda, BMW, Toyota, shall I continue?

Every company that has to pay American wages cries broke non-stop, meanwhile the ceo's and upper 2% of the company are making (read: taking) more than the rest of the company combined.. (the other 98%). Kinda mirrors something else in this country's broken, raped, unfixable economy.. hmm what would that be?.. oh yeah, the entire economy!

This is pure bull****. As one of the largest employers, Home Depot has about 350,000 employees, full and part time. Payroll for 2009 was around $6B, with its CEO pay and allowances ranging less than $9M. So, yeah, 15% of 1% of the total payroll going to the CEO means he is making more than the rest of the company combined alright. If you take that $9M and divide it amongst the "regular" employees it comes to about $25.7 more a year in income for each person. (I edited due to bad, er, fuzzy math)

Then you have the highest paid CEO, Larry Ellison of Oracle, whose company employs over 105,000, receives pay and allowances over $80M annually. Employee payroll for Oracle is also hovering around $8B, so yeah, Larry is making about 1% of his company's payroll (he is also one of Oracle's creators and owners). If you take Larry's pay and divide it amongst his employees, each one will net an increase of about $800 per year. Keep in mind that most of Oracle's employees are already very well compensated.

Last edited:
Correction, both major political parties solicit for donations.

didn't say they weren't both in the pockets of lobbyists and as greedy as a workday is long. I think you misunderstood me, or you have never read my previous posts. I hate all politicians on both sides of the American debate teams. All of them argue solely on behalf of greedy corporations and money mongers. Everything else they do is just posturing and pointless lip service.

And yet, New York has rent control measures in place. The issue is that too many people want to live there even though they clearly cannot afford it.

the fact that a city needs "rent control" shows that something is wrong. Dreadfully, horribly, greeeeeedily wrong.

While many companies do send their jobs overseas, we also get jobs from foreign companies setting up shop here, such as Honda, BMW, Toyota, shall I continue?

Yeah 'cause that's so helpful for our economy. (hit: the majority of that company's profits are not going into the American economy.)

This is pure bull****. As one of the largest employers, Home Depot has about 350,000 employees, full and part time. Payroll for 2009 was around $6B, with its CEO pay and allowances ranging less than $9M. So, yeah, 15% of 1% of the total payroll going to the CEO means he is making more than the rest of the company combined alright. If you take that $9M and divide it amongst the "regular" employees it comes to about $25.7 more a year in income for each person. (I edited due to bad, er, fuzzy math)

Then you have the highest paid CEO, Larry Ellison of Oracle, whose company employs over 105,000, receives pay and allowances over $80M annually. Employee payroll for Oracle is also hovering around $8B, so yeah, Larry is making about 1% of his company's payroll (he is also one of Oracle's creators and owners). If you take Larry's pay and divide it amongst his employees, each one will net an increase of about $800 per year. Keep in mind that most of Oracle's employees are already very well compensated.

You got really up-at-arms about a guy who has no chance at all. Did seeing a political candidate with some integrity infuriate you that much?

No one expects the ceo's to share their wages, no one argued that the people in charge don't deserve to get paid well. What lingers in most Americans minds (sorry the poor ones, you may have to try being poor for a while to develop some empathy..) is where is the divide actually at? the middle ground is being taken away and replaced with more people having to live below the poverty level.

What happened to the range where both parents working full time meant a chance to save up and move forward. Now both parents working full time means they can pay their rent, and maybe juggle their bills most of the time, as long as nothing goes wrong. (no one gets sick first of all.. that'll **** your budget right up in a hurry. Hooray for freerange privatized healthcare! Try not to get cancer or you're ****ed!)

This guy running on the "rent is too damn high" ticket is exactly right, plain and simple. There's no arguing that inflation itself is a sign that something is wrong with the system as it works and the system needs to be changed. Inflation is caused plain and simple by greed. nothing more. there's no validating it, at all, ever. Someone in charge wants to see bigger numbers they start a catalyst of events to cause the numbers to inflate. They profit while the rest of the system catches up, and they stay ahead of the curve.

As for your ceo argument, behind every single fortune is a series of crimes and shady dealings that left others with nothing, or at least substantially less than they started with. Even after they get done robbing and stealing their way to the top of whatever they were doing, for every ceo you can point out who manages to restrain themselves from robbing their employees blind, I could just as easily google one who has gone over the deep end and has been or is currently under investigation for all sorts of over complicated crimes that break down to "being a greedy a-hole" in less polite terminology.

Greed exists. Not everyone (hardly anyone who is wealthy) deserves their wealth. The top 2% of the world DO control FAR more than the other 98% of the world's wealth. Money goes uphill, not down. That stuff coming downhill, that's not money, no matter what those in charge would have you believe.

You pointed out 2 ceo's who manage to remain somewhat sane given their success (and how did they get that success boys and girls?). Pick up a newspaper, I'll bet there are 5 in there on any given day who couldn't keep their greed in check.

Last edited by a moderator:

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
Does anyone ever say, "You know what, I make enough money. I'll pass it on this time"?

**** NO. GET OVER IT.

Even if its legal, ethical, its still greed. Do I blame them? No, thats the system... Without people who have tons of $$, most of us wouldnt have jobs.

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Even if its legal, ethical, its still greed. Do I blame them? No, thats the system... Without people who have tons of $$, most of us wouldnt have jobs.

It kills me that this seems to have become common knowledge these days. The ultra-rich and ultra-powerful are NOT a necessary part of a healthy economy.

kiff

That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
Am i the only one getting a serious Mr.T wibe from this guy?
Naaah, he looks like Samuel L Jackson!
In the 2nd vid (of OP) he looks like a cross of SL Jackson and Hulk Hogan :lol:

It kills me that this seems to have become common knowledge these days. The ultra-rich and ultra-powerful are NOT a necessary part of a healthy economy.
I don't think many CEO's are "ultra" rich and poweful, that's more like Soros and co. Now he's bad for economies (yes plural)

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
I don't think many CEO's are "ultra" rich and poweful, that's more like Soros and co. Now he's bad for economies (yes plural)

Well, I had to make that as a generic statement because it was in response to a generic statement. Some CEOs happen to be richer and more powerful than others. Some very rich and powerful people are not CEOs. What I'm referring to is simply the very rich and powerful, whoever they are. I disagree that we should cherish them like some kind of natural resource and cater our policies towards them in hopes that they create jobs and spread the wealth, when most evidence seems to indicate that they prefer to invest overseas and keep their wealth. ;)

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
didn't say they weren't both in the pockets of lobbyists and as greedy as a workday is long. I think you misunderstood me, or you have never read my previous posts. I hate all politicians on both sides of the American debate teams. All of them argue solely on behalf of greedy corporations and money mongers. Everything else they do is just posturing and pointless lip service.
Well, when you mentioned Republicans by name and nobody else...

the fact that a city needs "rent control" shows that something is wrong. Dreadfully, horribly, greeeeeedily wrong.

Not necessarily. The reasons for higher property values in a given city can be due to a myriad of reasons, to include the population density. Consider New York City, NY versus Rapid City, SD. NYC's population density is greater than 26K persons per square mile, as compared to Rapid's 1400. You're going to tell me that the rent for a two-bedroom apartment in NYC should be comparable to rent for the same sized abode in Rapid? You simply cannot supply enough residences for 8 million people in a 44 square mile area and come out with low affordable rent for everyone. As long as these idiots continue to overpopulate certain areas and expect the cost of living to be similar to the less dense parts of the country, you will have this issue.

Yeah 'cause that's so helpful for our economy. (hit: the majority of that company's profits are not going into the American economy.)

When it provides jobs, then yes.

You got really up-at-arms about a guy who has no chance at all. Did seeing a political candidate with some integrity infuriate you that much?

You are wrong. I like the guy's guile and his common sense mentality. What he says is right on the mark, except he isn't considering the fact that when you have millions of people crammed into a small area such as NYC, you are going to have all the issues he is complaining about.

No one expects the ceo's to share their wages, no one argued that the people in charge don't deserve to get paid well. What lingers in most Americans minds (sorry the poor ones, you may have to try being poor for a while to develop some empathy..) is where is the divide actually at? the middle ground is being taken away and replaced with more people having to live below the poverty level.

I do not need to be "poor" to understand the effect the economy is having on the poorest Americans. I see it all over Las Vegas, thanks.

This guy running on the "rent is too damn high" ticket is exactly right, plain and simple. There's no arguing that inflation itself is a sign that something is wrong with the system as it works and the system needs to be changed. Inflation is caused plain and simple by greed. nothing more. there's no validating it, at all, ever. Someone in charge wants to see bigger numbers they start a catalyst of events to cause the numbers to inflate. They profit while the rest of the system catches up, and they stay ahead of the curve.

Blaming greed only on the big boys is very shortsighted. How about all the homebuyers who bought homes they knew they could not afford? And guess what, taxpayers are bailing out those idiots, even though the rest of us who did not get ourselves into that predicament get no relief. So please, don't preach to me about economic or social injustices.

You pointed out 2 ceo's who manage to remain somewhat sane given their success (and how did they get that success boys and girls?). Pick up a newspaper, I'll bet there are 5 in there on any given day who couldn't keep their greed in check.
So, what you are saying is that most CEOs are criminals?

Last edited:

Peavey

Rattus Norvegicus
Jul 17, 2001
Larkin is a Koch brother. He drinks Koch Broth non-stop. And gets Koch Breath :lol: