Why Are We Ignored!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DLL

Chrysolyte
Mar 12, 2001
Keganator,
Although we all may "want" to have more feedback from the team, this is not possible. The source of your frustration is most likely that you think it is possible.

Warren and the rest of the team have limited resources (man power, time, talent). The problems of managing these limited resources are compounded by the fact that the team is scattered across the globe.

I'm 100% sure that every free moment Warren has is used as efficiently as possible to work on Infiltration. He probably has a million things to do and little time to do it. Obviously the passion of this team is this game. Therefore I'm sure working on the game takes precedence over public relations. You can't blame them for it.

If you have a suggestion, post it. If it is a good one, the team will discuss it.

Other than that, if you really want to help out, play the game! Get on the servers. Help newbies. That's about all we can do as community members.

Battosai

The Great Southern Thread Killer
Jun 6, 2001
Roaming
I don't see why everyone gets so upset and has to knitpick about every little thing. I mean these guys work 8 hours a day. Have to support themselves and their families. I bet they would love to fix everything and make inf a stand alone game. But that's not the way things are yet. So I think everyone needs to take a step back and realise that this is their game concept. NOT YOURS. SS has their own goal and priorities to deal with. And feedback is an important part of it. But the team ARE the ones who knows what's best for inf.

Just sit back and enjoy the ride. :)

Catalyst

science begets death
Jul 18, 1999
CA, USA
LOL @ Tiffy. You think you're doing us all a favor by gracing us with your 'vast experience and knowledge'? Get a clue man, you're a consumer. You like what you see or you move on. That's how it works. I love all these vet type guys like yourself who think they can be an as<b></b>shole because of the "been there, done that" bulls<b></b>hit. No one cares about you, or what you've done, or what you know. If you think you can do a better job, then do it. Otherwise quit your bitching. You bought Unreal for UNREAL. Your free time is your FREE time. The team has done just fine based on the so-called "book" knowledge and their own personal experiences. When I was working on Inf, I had never fired a real gun in my life. I still haven't. But just based off technical details I was able to code the guns to work pretty well good enough. If that's not good enough for you, go back and play with guns in real life. Go shoot up a McDonald's or something. Odds are you're going to have more fun doing it. And be sure to save a bullet for yourself to do us all a favor.

Cripes man, you need an enema or something. Or maybe your wife is screwing someone else behind your back. Either way your self-righteous attitude is a joke.

jaeg

PopeyeTurbo
Oct 18, 2000
Agreed Catalyst, that guy is an self-rightous idiot. As for the sugestions forum, take a look at it now. About 90% of the threads there suggest things like "redo all animations", "add this gun" and "there should many many drivable vehicles". I don't know if the people with these suggestions realize the absolutely ludicrous amount of time it would take to implement things like that. And that's fine, but when most suggestions are of that nature that it kinda makes the suggestion forum look like a big dream. However, it does show that you care enough about the gameplay to formulate ideas on how to make it better.

Also, a lot more makes it in than you think.....just wait and see.

RogueLeader

Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"
Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
Why not just let the team work? I'm more happy with the more frequent news updates than the weekly update. I'm sure the team already has an idea of what will be in and they want to get that stuff done before working on requested features anyway.

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
I want to make it clear before I continue that I don't think INF is going downhill, in fact I look forward to the next release.

However, I want the team to at least SAY more or less publicly that they know there are problems. They havn't even done that, other than vague comments in the news page about "tweaked bulk". DLL, it used to happen. Warren commented with his weekly update, well, almost weekly. We knew that serious problems with the gameplay were being taken into consideration. We hoped 2.86 would fix many of the obvious problems with 2.85. With 2.86...well, we've all played 2.86. It's been discussed before.

Catalyst, there's a reason for vet's coming to INF. It's because of the realism, and the dedication to realism. Why bother to have things realistic and then f*ck up at the end? It makes no sense. Besides, personal attacks are NOT APPRICIATED.

"Other than that, if you really want to help out, play the game! Get on the servers. Help newbies. That's about all we can do as community members."

I do. I play online many nights a week. And do you know what I've seen? Fewer and fewer players on the servers. Almost all newbies, that i've never seen before, and probably will never see again. Why? Because all the 'regulars' can't enjoy the game with all the problems. I almost never play on anything but RA servers. I've even waited a half an hour to play because no one was joining, and I didn't want to play on a server with Matrix-style action. If was supposed to be about tactical realism. Players who think before spraying, aim instead of sprinting, take cover instead of charging. It's still not there, because the game allows it.

:hmm: I'd be satisfied if Warren would just make one post somewhere saying, "Yes, we know about the >>fill in the blank<< problem. It will be addressed in 2.87".

Other Dave

Oct 4, 2001
Visit site
Whoa, step back guys.

Hey, guys, things are getting awfully hot under the collar here, and as a frequent lurker I'd hate to see some regulars go off in a huff over some of the things that are being said.

Me, I figure that Tiffy is just in a tiff and probably needs a good night's sleep. I know I do. Tiff, your posts in the past have been very interesting and I for one would hate to see you go. But please remember that this is a game based on a sci-fi FPS that focuses on space lasers and rapid-fire rockets. Infiltration will always have problems modelling long-range and extremely short-ranged, high-speed engagements. Whaddya want for nothin? There are hardware and game engine constraints that will forever preclude a totally realistic gaming environment at all ranges.

I'm one 'o those know-nothing civvies but I do have plenty of experience with paintball as well as practical firearms knowledge. Infiltration is the *first* game that lets me bring any of those skills to bear, and that fact alone makes Infiltration stand out as an immersive environment. Sure, there's plenty of stuff to beef about, but remember in the end that we've got a hell of a game to play with here. Maybe it's the iterations towards perfection that make the remaining problems so nagging, eh?

I am forever amazed at the dedication and resources poured into this work of passion, and am very grateful to people I've never met for giving me this free gift of entertainment. I hope that we can all remember that any suggestions made in this forum and elsewhere are made in the spirit of constructive criticism, but also that not everyone's artistic vision will fit into an individual work.

Just to keep this post vaguely on-topic, I'm a late-comer to the forums, so I missed the 'golden age' of regular updates from the design team. If it's not too much trouble, I'd sure appreciate a little feedback from the mod folks. As a computer luser, I didn't realize that 'realigning' the sights would require a complete remodelling of the weapons. I think that this sort of brief explanation would go a long way towards alleviating some of the frustration that seems to be seeping into the forum community.

That's it from me. I really do need a good night's sleep.

Other Dave

DLL

Chrysolyte
Mar 12, 2001
Originally posted by Keganator
DLL, it used to happen. Warren commented with his weekly update, well, almost weekly.

Just because it used to happen doesn't mean it can happen now. ShakKen explained why they can't give us as much feedback now: "Because things have recently gotten much busier in development circles."

I've always been amazed at the level of attention given to us by the Inf team. C'mon, they do not work on Inf for a living. That means they have even less time to work on their game than professional game developers do. They have less time, but give more feedback.

It was inevitable that the level of feedback given in the past would diminish some.

Catalyst

science begets death
Jul 18, 1999
CA, USA
Keganator: I have no problem with vets playing Inf. Furthermore I have no problem with vets playing Inf and then pointing out things wrong with it. What I DO have a problem with is vets coming here and spouting off how this and this and this is wrong and YOU BETTER FIX IT OR I'M NOT GOING TO GRACE THESE FORUMS WITH MY EXPERT KNOWLEDGE AND GO PLAY ANOTHER GAME (WAHH!!!!) Like we care...well we do care but not about someone who acts like this, like they owe him something.

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
(edit)DLL: (/edit) Okay, then. But not once in 5 months, not one little bit of time to communicate back in all that time? That's ridiculous. There has to be some point in that time where he could take 10 minutes and say, "yes, we understand your problems. We have been talking about it, and it will be fixed in the next release."

I understand why weekly updates may no longer be possible, but could you at least bring back the roadmap and/or some list of "known gameplay issues"?

That way, we won't waste your time with threads restating things you already know.

Also, threads' names often have nothing to do with their final content...being public forums, topic shift occurs..."Stupid stupid drum", for example, is currently mostly about implementing gun overheating if you fire too long.

Catalyst

science begets death
Jul 18, 1999
CA, USA
I suppose you're right. My apologies Tiffy for the personal attacks. Just remember the role you play and try to use a little more tact when criticizing other people (and yes, I will try to do the same).

Rethinking his intentions,
Catalyst

BrownCow

I Heart Gnat.
Jun 18, 2000
I will bless this thread with my vast knowledge in basket weaving.

First off, the only reason i "combat" anyone in the forums about their ideas is that i fear that the inf team might be influenced by the whiners in this community. If they honestly don't listen, i'm very very happy. I hope they brush off all community ideas and just do what they want. Cuz if they don't then mod will eventually fail. You can't make what other people want and still do it with enthusiasm. And if you are without enthusiasm then you will eventually stop.

So bascially, i wish the inf team NEVER looked at this board. Do your thing, don't have to tell us anything about it. I'm with GNAT on that one. I just wanna play. I play, you work. 50/50 relationship :) I don't care about deadlines, i don't really care WHAT is going into the next patch. In fact, it would be more fun to not know at all, more like christmas. I trust the team. And i enjoy the game very much and the only complaints i have about INF are geared towards the people playing the game, not the game itself. The game rules.

So as far as being ignored by the inf team, i love it.

JamesT

sniper apprentice
Jun 25, 2001
Taiwan
inf.dearhoney.idv.tw
Let's objectively examine this problem from the beginning.

Complaint: the feedback from common users doesn't always get acknowledgement of disapproval from the team.

A team member, ShakKen, said that the team is not unwilling to respond but unable to, plus many issues are either too obvious or already discussed.

I see things can be better right here.

1) the team is busy -- get one or two more new team member(s) particularly in charge of web-site maintaining and public responding.

2) issues have been discussed -- clearly declare the official policies regarding discussed issues in the roadmap section; update frequently; this task done by the one(s) mentioned in the 1st point.

3) issues too obvious -- clearly declare which issues are officially taken as bugs in the bugs&fixes section; update frequently; this task done by the one(s) mentioned in the 1st point.

We know it's the team who made this game and it still will be the team who determine its future. However, since the team is so great and willing to accept feedback and suggestions, a better 2-way communication is desired and helpful.

Some things have been discussed a thousand times? If the team doesn't clearly declare the policies regarding discussed issues, they will always be brought up again and again.

Some things are too obvious? You have to assume people can't tell. Clear declarations are needed.

A very essential fact is that if those who give feedback cannot have respond from the team, the feedback then seems meaningless to them ( although the feedback may be meaningful to the team ). The willingness of giving feedback will degrade.

If currently no team member has enough "resources" ( time, manpower, etc ) to do these tasks, it may be a good idea to find someone specially responsible for this.

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
I don't mind if they ignore everything that is suggested. I don't care to see another gun, gamemode, vehicle, map, you-name-it (well, the CTF mode is looking interesting... :D). But, I think the community deserves to know that the team understands the <b>problems</b> we are having, and are trying to deal with them. A game with a core group of players pissed off at it, just hoping the next version solves issues is never a good thing.

G-Fresh

Red
Aug 6, 2001
Western Mancunia
Tiffy, I don't really need to say anything to you because DLL and Catalyst have already said it, but this made me laugh

I am sick and tired of people who think they know better, belittleing people on these boards. This is probably the most hostile and negative BBS I have ever had the misfortune to be involved with and to be quite honest I often question exactly why I should try and help ungreatful little sh1ts like you.

Does anyone else see the irony in this post? This is from a bloke, who thinks he knows better than everyone else, is being hostile and negative and who moans about the free mod others have produced for him, calling me, who is happy for what he's been given, ungrateful. :rolleyes:

poaw

You used to sleep easy at night.
Mar 25, 2001
Camp Pendleton, California
The team has done just fine based on the so-called "book" knowledge and their own personal experiences. When I was working on Inf, I had never fired a real gun in my life. I still haven't.

Yeah and if you were doing so good with book knowledge then why is Gryphon on the team? Infiltration needs people like Tiffy. People with RL experience and knowledge. Your saying otherwise is hypocritical.

And yes, his presence on the forums is valuable because there aren't dozens of people with the knowledge and experience he has hanging around here and he is doing us all a favor by "gracing us with his presence"

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
JamesT: YES! If the team can't do something because they're too busy, that's what Human Resources are for! If Warren can't reply with what's going on, they should get someone else who can speek from a knowledgable standpoint, and is on the 'in' with the team. Would that be too hard? But wait, isn't that Warren's job as project coordinator? :confused:

JamesT

sniper apprentice
Jun 25, 2001
Taiwan
inf.dearhoney.idv.tw
Public responding is not an easy task. As we know, team members have their own life. So, it is very probable that Warren doesn't have enough time doing so many things. That's why I suggest the team consider getting one or two new members to share the burden.