Unreal PSX

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Btw Temple07, which you haven't mentioned now, follows obviously E1L6, I guess it happens right before or after E1L7, more like before. The deathmatch levels were supposed to be connected, you fight with the holografic projections and then after the match ends it loads next map instead but in Unreal gametype. There was BanDeathmatch, but it was unfinished.

I guess in the conversions both SP and DM versions of E1L7 will be present actually, the other two DM levels I want to include too, if Elya doesn't mind, as bonus levels. Someone needs to add inventory to these levels though. And E3L6D can be turned into DM level with changes too as laternate DM level.

Last edited:

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
I'd rather assume that Temple7 goes before E1L6 (starts in exterior), but may also be non canon as the texture set is different (Crypt2 goes in E1L6 vs Chizra-like ancient in Temple7) so it may concern different gods...) Strange, don't ya think?

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Actually in E1L6F there is a lift which seems to be supposed to come up in some outside area. I am sure it connects there, since E1L7 is similar to that, you can read it in the design doc. I am sure E1L6 and E1L7 were supposed to be lot temple or cryptic levels connected together.
The temple is not non canon at all, it uses the psx textures and was supposed to be there, unlike dmcampgroundparadise and level07.

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
As for Level07, I concur, it might be out of place, but Camper's Paradise definitely sticks with Elya's SP levels, check the texturing and "mood" overall. That's just my opinion. As for Temple of Purification, as I have said, it differs much with texture choice (Chizra-ish) from E1L6 which is Crypt2-based (Check Unreal Beta's crypt 2 package, it is commonly used in Nexus for example). Still, I believe it can be somehow "put in". I believe that if we assume that E1L6 is indeed a cryptic level, it goes below any temples and that would put it below the complex of the Temple of Purification for example.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Almost everything you said is wrong.
Beta didn't have crypt2, the Nexus level was using standard Crypt textures, in UT the package was renamed to CRYPT2, because for some reason oriignal Unreal had crpyt.utx with removed textures, only chain tetxure was used.

The textures are different, what Unreal PSX uses is both crypt and real crypt2(which was used in the cancelled Unreal addon, possibly under Crypt3), but low res.

Crypt2psx has more whiteish textures and some totally different ones, it is different set, which comes originally from earlier Unreal versions. I have asked Eric Reuter about the Cryptic textures, that's why I know about this.

Temple7 uses PSX textures, it is clear it was meant to fit in, I don't know what you are trying to say. Campers paradise uses normal textures, not PSX ones. It is inspired by these levels yes, it's in the same theme, but that doesn't change the fact it was meant to be a custom map. Still both will be in the remake I guess as additional dm maps.

I made the new shieldbelt and added it to Fay map, this one fits more in.
PSXShield.rar

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Was there any different music?

Sadly, no. Not in the version I have. It used all the Unreal tracks.

Btw I found an old email to Terry Greer, but it isn't working anymore. :(

He seemed to release at least one UT custom map which I found.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
What is this custom UT map?

dom-littlethings, but I am not sure if it is by him, the PSX maps by him look better than this, maybe it was just a same name, after all there is a football player by the same name as well.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Hey, I got a lots of missing maps now from a contact I shouldn't disclose. It seems all maps are in except for E2L4 (well there is some prototype of it but its like two untextured rooms).

EDIT: Unfortunately I was wrong, there are more missing maps than I thought (E1M8 is missing completelly), but at least it is much better than before. All Vortex Rikers maps are in btw.

Last edited:

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
I thought and thought and thought....

And I came to a conclusion. It seems that the beginning levels will have to be tweaked up and your Fay bot too.

Check Scenario document. It says that Jack is sent WITH Fay and then ambushed in Vortex Rikers level. So, Fay should accompany the player during the first set of levels (the Nali Village segment by Silvers) and then during the vortex levels, an ambush, Fay dies. A cutscene, Jack is talking to that commander of theirs and challenges Iris to merge with her (E1L3? or so if I remember the document correctly). So, it will have to be applied if we are to follow this outline.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
The Fay scene happens in the VR levels. In old version there is Nali instead of Fay as replacement, in the more recent one there are just heard screams and body parts flying etc, but the camera zoom sat Fay but there is no Fay really. But I won't make her a sidekick or should I? I could use the scripts from RyS for that, I thought more of adding the bot and giving it a scene where it would just run away and disappear, it said in the scenario that she leaves you mostly, would be stupid to have it sidekick like that, it will just be more of an annoyance if so. These levels weren't ready for it yet and if she was used as sidekick, then only at one point, mostly she goes ahead of you. I would advise against the sidekick or we got ONP or Daikatana reminescent things and players could bitch about it (in RYS it is only in one level and I made sure it is not an annoyance, not much at least, but I had to make the pawn telepeorting and somehow explain it story wise, the fact that he has a teleporter locator prototype). After all this is a beta and not finished product and the final conversions still should feel somewhat like a beta.

There was supposed to be a FMV scene put later on, it just says Hari FMV scene at the commander comunication, but the room is there actually.

Last edited:

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
Well, remember one thing that she is supposed to be only in the Nali Village and Vortex Rikers, so, properly scripted, she could be of use. Yes, a sidekick. IF (I said IF) you decide that the remake should be faithful to the vision prepped in Elya's documents, then a sidekick it is. Properly pathed, the Nali Village / Vortex Rikers maps would not be a nuissance with her. And having her by the player's side (perhaps with some personal-type convos in the Nali Village) will make players feel for Jack's loss. Your idea with RyS-like teleporting is a good one IMO. Perhaps even better than having her waltz around you, she could be walking on those death rays if pathed improperly or sth. So, well done, it won't be an annoyance and we will have a remake faithful to the designers' vision which is IMO more important than leaving this unfinished.

EDIT: It says in the scenario that you are left without her for the most part of the game IMO because she dies in the second set of levels, the Vortex Rikers, which is awfully early.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Yes, but originally she runs away, even based on the event of the maps, she is not with you even during Nali Village for most part, she was usually ahead of you, you see her running etc. That was explained in the scenario as well and as well as in the map events, there are some unused specialevents around which hint for that even.
If she was planned as a side kick it was really during very short part of the game, even in those levels it would be minority. But I don't think it is worth it personally, I wouldn't know what dialogue to choose, without more proper design doc, for each designer there was detailed scenario doc explaining events in his own maps and we got these missing.

I can make a scene with her running away and disappearing, that's easy to do, or even make her as sidekick in one map, but I would still advise against the sidekick thing, she would need to not die, so it would be something like Chryss in the end of ONP, with her you die too or game ends, but it wouldn't be good for coop either way, I think it is better to leave the sidekick idea altogether. In daikatana coop the sidekicks were removed due to this reason. The N64 version didn't have them as well, only in cutscenes and scripted sequences.

In ONP last map, the trigger which makes game end is disabled for coop, I could make it same, but there is a problem, she would die in coop and what, next map she would be there in some cutscene, not good really.

Last edited:

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
Well, why didn't you say about the events then? If she ain't planned as a sidekick, but were to run away and disappear, than it should happen :) OK, so I was wrong, happens. :)

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Well actually she was planned as sidekick later on in developement, but they didn't get around to that and the maps weren't optimised for it yet so they dropped it, I think it would be too much of a hassle personally and it still should feel that it is a beta after all.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I am reporting some progress, I got E1L1A in somehow finished state, I used later build, but I think I will include real fay in scripted sequence there.

Also I am converting E3L6D, it now uses all normal res textures, but there's a problem. Almost all of the textures get wrong scaling, if the map had scaling in place, which most had. Some of the textures cannot be changed to uniform scale and it resetted some aligning, so I have to do it over again, to align that stuff and I tell you some of it needs to be precisely done, I gave up on the movers that have the panned textures, if I scale them they pan slowly and it doesn't look good.

I didn't bother with E1L1A except for one texture, but in outdoor maps it is not noticable. With Indoor maps this is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.