Storing Info On UT Servers For Players

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lukano

Aug 23, 2001
Just a quick question in regards to Kage (Kagehashiru : Out Of The Shadows) (our Shadowrun TC Mod).

I'm just curious if anyone knows of a way to implement server side storage of player stats, kills, scores, cash, etc... With or without a login/password (although if anyone has found a way to do that, I will KILL to know how). We're working on finding a way to allow players to store their kill counts, scores, etc... Basically the first step to turning Kage into a community RP game. For the time being it's DM and TDM, but eventually we want to implement community RP features.

If anyone has any ideas on how to do this, let me know ASAP please. Just email me at lukano@telefragged.com or stop by our site at http://kage.unrealism.com and post in the forums.

Thanks!

Lukano

aspie

It's all good baby.
Feb 24, 2001
Australia
You could write it all to an *.ini file. Although your talking a rather hefty file, it could easily inflate to 10 meg if the server is public.

Lukano

Aug 23, 2001
I honestly don't doubt that it could inflate to a 1 gig to be honest. If we intend to have a final product that mimics an online rpg like everquest or AO in shadowrun form, it will have ALOT of data to handle. We're actually planning to have one server that just handles the login/password and doles out player stats to the client, as well as to a specific server which they will then be shunted to (each server is a portion of the city, and players can only access other servers by travelling there within the portion of the city they're in).

Keep in mind this is an eventual thing... for the time being we're just doing a DM/TDM mod with attributes, skills, stats, cyberware, magic and new weapons all based on purchase systems. Big project :)

So yah... any idea's on how we'd go about storing it the ini ON the server, in such a way that it can't be tampered with by the client?

Lukano

ca

CHiMERiC Grandmaster
Oct 11, 1999
www.unrealscript.com
Your best bet is to just implement a native lib to do some file i/o and expose that capability to unrealscript. Then you can make whatever sort of database you want...

Lukano

Aug 23, 2001
anything more specific in regard to the mechanics of doing this? I'm still learning uscript as I go, so not everything makes sense :)

Lukano

Lukano

Aug 23, 2001
thanks ca, I'll pass this along to relevant ears... I may even refer them back here directly if they have problems :)

Lukano