60 Minutes Featured Piece on Fatal1ty

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
TSN needs to learn how to broadcast interesting videos. Or at least the random cs-match was not worth looking at because they didn't even attempt to use alternate viewpoints and repeats ... (never mind the american-style commentary about it being a 'grudge'-match with neither side showing any personality ... )

// ---
Wait a minute ... there are people that are stupid enough that they'd pay $80 just to watch a bunch of geeks stare at monitors ?

No wonder they don't get people to watch ... for that kind of money I'd rather watch a real pro-sport instead.

I think they'd attract a lot more attention if visitors got in for free ... (or at least something a lot more reasonable like say $5).

nthexwn

May 9, 2005
Seattle, WA, USA
SPECTATING:
Competitive gamers have to have focus and skill to win, and for those that understand the complexity of it, it's completely captivating, like a good book, even though you're just sitting. If you just sit there and look at the players, of course it will be boring because it's what's going on IN THE GAME that's interesting. I'll admit I don't know too much about football but some relatives of mine managed to get tickets to the Seahawks game on Christmas eve and invited me along. They had to explain the rules to me with the whole 4 downs system and everything and I found it BORING AS HELL because I saw a bunch of guys running around on a field and didn't respect what they were doing and the tactics that were running through their minds, which as a casual gamer is probably how you see pro gaming. As I've said, the spectators have to understand what's going on in any sport and that will come from INSIDE as the gaming community itself grows.

PHYSICAL ACTIONS:
Whether you're sitting down to play a game, sitting down to watch football, or sitting down to play piano, you're still just sitting, and there's nothing wrong with that. I should note that Fatal1ty runs 3 miles every morning before he games to get his whole being in shape. There's a connection between what they're doing at that level and their overall health. It's not wasted life, it's harnessed human potential. Skill isn't just a reflection of how long you've been engaged in an activity. You have to have the drive and focus to get better and physical activity is part of that picture. They are cyberATHLETES!

I'm not even pro and I'll still defend this to the death because I'm sick and tired of ignorant people laughing at it for reasons that don't stand under scrutiny.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
nthexwn said:
SPECTATING:
Competitive gamers have to have focus and skill to win, and for those that understand the complexity of it, it's completely captivating, like a good book, even though you're just sitting. If you just sit there and look at the players, of course it will be boring because it's what's going on IN THE GAME that's interesting ...
which is why you need to have a good in-game camera-crew instead of random first-person views.
It would be like showing the F1-race only from the cockpit-view of a few random drivers. Even the most rabid fans would have trouble trying to like the game.

PHYSICAL ACTIONS:
Whether you're sitting down to play a game, sitting down to watch football, or sitting down to play piano, you're still just sitting, and there's nothing wrong with that. I should note that Fatal1ty runs 3 miles every morning before he games to get his whole being in shape.
I cycle roughly 23 kilometers every day, so pardon me if I won't consider a mere 3 mile run to be about 'keeping in shape'.

But then again ... I guess any physical activity is considered 'odd' for americans. So that must be why you think that's awesome. ;)

There's a connection between what they're doing at that level and their overall health. It's not wasted life, it's harnessed human potential. Skill isn't just a reflection of how long you've been engaged in an activity. You have to have the drive and focus to get better and physical activity is part of that picture. They are cyberATHLETES!
they're not cyber-athletes. They're gamers.
Or would you call a man like Kasparov a 'cyber-athlete' if he played chess-games on a computer ?
Of course you wouldn't.

I'm not even pro and I'll still defend this to the death because I'm sick and tired of ignorant people laughing at it for reasons that don't stand under scrutiny.
I'm not even a casual player, but I'm sick and tired of all those wannabe's trying to defend the latest fashionable activity (whether it's playing cards or playing a console-game) as if it was a 'professional'-level sport just because they earn a few euros for winning.