Can you actually drive a humvee or a helicopter?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jpm224

Jul 11, 2004
In Infiltration can you actuallly get in and out of the Humvees or Blackhawks at any point in the battle as you please (sort of like "Desert Combat"), and can you actually DRIVE these vehicles or just ride in them???

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
There are no drivable vehicals in INF at this time. There is one map where 2 vehicals do move but there are scripted and not usefull.

There will be no vehicals while the UT engine is being used. They are looking at porting to a new engine now but weither or not it will have vehicals is unknown.

This is a hotly debated topic.

Cleeus[JgKdo]

because respawns suck
Jun 8, 2002
Germany
www.cleeus.de
(SDS)benmcl said:
This is a hotly debated topic.

Right :)

IMO there is no need for vehicles in INF and I'd be greatly disappointed if onetime INF becomes the same like every other oh-so-good pseudo-realism shooter by putting in vehicles, even more respawns (I'm already sad about this), more run'n gun and whatnot.

Vehicles are not needed to have good gameplay.

(SDS)benmcl

May 13, 2002
Visit site
I used to disagree with you Cleeus[JgKdo] but after thinking things over I have to agree. I would have liked to see a helicopter and one of those rubber boats for a map I was thinking about but realized I really don't need them for the insertions. Movers would do just fine to get the effect I want. simpler, does the job, no chance for exploiting.

Last edited:

chuckus

Can't stop the bum rush.
Sep 23, 2001
Visit site
yeh maybe we can put in soldier qualifications in the loadout menu. Give your blackhawk drivers liscence more bulk than the humvee one :D for balace of course.

edit: took out a useless "lol". made me sound too Ub3R l337 foR joo NooBs LOloloOLOLo!!!!!!!11111

Last edited:

sir_edmond

In my own world
Aug 12, 2003
Boston
Visit site
Or another option is to change the stamina value. Since the guy would be in a chopper not on the feild, I doubt he would have to tow aroung 60 lbs. every day. ;)

Equipment a pilot or "air warrior" [us army] would include: A tac vest, a pistol and ammo, and a smg (like the mp5) with ammo.

On the other hand driving a humvee in real life dosnt have a special class of soildier, maybe a driver lisence :lol: in your layout but thats it.

Anyhow this subject goes back with should this be a balance game, or real and unbalance like the world we know.

Last edited:

Beppo

Infiltration Lead-Programmer
Jul 29, 1999
Aachen, Germany
infiltration.sentrystudios.net
I actually thought that it is already a known fact that we are currently testing out vehicles on UT2k4 (to get familiar with all the hardcoded elements aso). Our next project will include vehicles for support roles and maybe even for attacking purposes in a special gamemode. The next project will have stuff for the short timed action paced games and for the more tactical and time intensive type of play. So both 'fronts' will have soemthing to toy around with. The main focus will be infantry still of course and the realism aspect is still there. But we want to allow short fun games where you can hop right into the action too this time in addition to our tactical and slower paced game style we present with EAS for example. Many players out there do not have a full hour of time to play or do not want to wander around ten minutes before actually finding the first enemy. Just think about the map sizes possible on the newer engines and I guess you can agree on the fact that it would be possible to run around for hours without the two teams even finding each other. So, we will have both things... and both with our kind of realism implemented of course.
Plz do not ask for details about the game modes and/or vehicles and weapons we do plan... cause we will inform you all with the detailed infos once we want to share them with the public. Else we would find ourselves in tons of debates, discussions and flames here on the forum instead of actually developing the next project. Hope you can understand.

Beppo

(SDS)benmcl

May 13, 2002
Visit site
So can we assume though that you are planning to use UT2K4 which as far as I can tell hasn't been confirmed before.

Just wanting to know if this is the engine I should continue learning to work with.

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
Beppo said:
Our next project will include vehicles for support roles and maybe even for attacking purposes in a special gamemode.

INF-ONS: Infiltration Onslaught... lol

No I can understand the use of vehicules _if_ the maps are built accordingly... vehicules for transport...

we don't need jet fighters to bring down choppers... I'm sure infantry has thier alternatives to bring them down. Same for tanks... we don't need things like a A10 to shoot them... having someone carrying a Javelin would be much more interesting.

ant75

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jan 11, 2001
Paris
About the vehicles : i really really hope i won't wait another 2 years to play something that is exactly like the 1000 games available already...

Last edited:

OpFor

Feeling suicide, thats O.K.
Apr 26, 2001
Visit site
My thoughts exactly, ant. I don't even think some vehicles should be player controled. A truck maybe, but a black hawk? You are just asking for lamers to come along and hijack a teams only heli then jump out of it in mid air like its BF:V or something. This is an infantry simulation, so insertions and extractions via helicopter, APC, truck, or boat are all very real possibilities, but in most games the vehicles are not used realisticly. You generally can't trust players to use a helicopter responsibly :p I think that a mix of AI controled vehicles and player controled vehicles would be best. For instance, insertion and extraction should be all AI controled.

mat69

just fooling around
Dec 9, 2001
Österreich
www.combatmaps.de
(SDS)benmcl said:
So can we assume though that you are planning to use UT2K4 which as far as I can tell hasn't been confirmed before.

Just wanting to know if this is the engine I should continue learning to work with.
There are only a few games on which INF maybe will continue. Two of them are UT2K4 and FarCry, but there isn't a SDK available for FarCry atm so the INF team is trying to make their "stuff" with UT2k4, if their wishes are possible with this engine then we should have a close canditate. But this is only imho.

[C22]-Acolyte

Ai kotoba afuro to gunsou!
Jan 20, 2002
INF-land
Visit site
OpFor said:
You generally can't trust players to use a helicopter responsibly :p I think that a mix of AI controled vehicles and player controled vehicles would be best. For instance, insertion and extraction should be all AI controled.

I have to disagree with you. I've been playing Joint Ops for quite sometime now and I've seen many players use the transport helos accordingly. They fly to the edge of the battlefield, "drop" the cargo (be it men or vehicle) and get the hell out with the helo to pick up more troops. This shows that even your average FPS player can think about others as well and I would hope that an Infer is slightly above the average FPS player.

Anyway this whole discussion is pointless. I'm sure that the Inf team will make it realistic as possible and the end product will be great as usual. I trust them completely. What ever direction they take Inf, the end product will be great.