2.9 bonus pack

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
fist_mlrs said:
i dare you to name one map beside rtk with a combat range of more then 100 meter. so do we realy need more code to slow things down just incase someday we might shot a single pixel 500 meters away and want to inflict two or three less damage points then usual?

its more of an ethical thing than actually nessecary ;)

ravens_hawk

Apr 20, 2002
Visit site
erehwoN said:
:lol: Sorry, but I find the fact that Derelan is talking about ethics to be very humorous.

Happy new year anyone? ;)

Hey, just because his morals don't agree with yours, doesn't make his actions any less ethical, they're just a** backward. ;)

Back on topic (although I'm not sure what that is,) yeah INF doesn't really have the range to change damage any (although maybe with pistol/SMG fire...) The Sig and other 5.56mm carbines are supposed to really suffer damage wise at a distance. We're still talking 400M+ but hey one day we may get that. Hmm how many ppl snipe with the Sig on RtK?

Oh would it be possible to get a pic the aimview through the G3 sights. I asked this before but are they real diopter? It was said that you couldn't change the range (I think) but I don't think anyone mentioned if they were diopter.

erehwoN

The Bass Ackwards BTL
May 30, 2001
Wyoming, USA
Visit site
ravens_hawk said:
Hey, just because his morals don't agree with yours, doesn't make his actions any less ethical, they're just a** backward. ;)
I was referring to the time that I...colorfully banned him from AFA2 for "hacking" it.

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
As i have no mapping talent, i want to ask a question about those maps limits discussed on those range penetration subjects.

In the actual UT engine , it seems that a map can't really reproduce those long range engagement a la Delta Force 1-2(oh great memories this one) or OFP without stuttering a very lot, RtK is a big map but does not offer the same kind of very long range missions or engagement possiblities.

I read somewhere that the Tribes 3 game will use this same ut2k3/2k4 unreal engine , and as i played Tribes 1-2 , i know that the maps can be really huge in this game serie (even if there are some limitations in the view distance in those Tribes games)
So if the INF team will select the new unreal engine for its next opus, will it be possible to have those very long range maps a la DF/OFP, or is there comparable framerate limits to the actual UT in the mapping department ?

Last edited:

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
Demosthanese said:
It is entirely possible to make levels comperable in size to RTK with buildings, etc. with decent framerates, but are you sure you posted in the right thread? ;)

As the subject of the thread was slightly oriented to some penetrations and ranges ballistic questions (with i imagine some penetration decrease over range, and maybe bullet drop arguments) , i think that asking this mapping question there would have been on topic , as the range has a lot to do with the map size :)

punitore

Dec 23, 2003
happy to see u wasted this topic.

A)another thing: claymore is too heavy, and make you lose too many time to prepare it. now ,if you don't want reduce bulk, at least reduce time to arm!!! damn you cannot use it in TDM because in every map enemy come to your position before u arm it!! think that wire is still very visible even for running people and you get an heavy unuseful weapon.

don't say to use it without wire, because if i can see enemy i can shoot him too.

B)what you think about include yurch's new 40mm mutator as default?
and reduce 40mm arming disance? damn i know "real life bla bla bla", i can understand even balance, but look at bulk of a single 40mm and think that you must take also an M203 or an HK69, and weapon will be still balanced whitout arming distance ( is truth is time, not distance ) at all!!

C)armor. i know rifles are powerful, but damn there are armors out there that can stop 7.62mm !!! high bulk will balance it, but should be a great (and easy i think) thing add an HEAVY armor that can stops at least all non-sniper rifles bullets.

that's enought 4 now, thanks all, bye all.

sublime

Cynic
Aug 1, 2000
Texas
www.caffeine-addict.org
A - it takes much longer in real life to set up a claymore. 15 seconds is laughable and a concession to gameplay as it is. And you want even less time? I don't see that happening.

B - Actually, in truth, it's not time or distance, but spin. And "real life bla bla bla" is what the game is supposed to be about, you know.

C - None of the armors in inf can stop 7.62mm rounds. They are modeled after their real-life counterparts. Darned "real life bla bla bla" getting in the way again I guess.

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
Here's my biggest issue with the game:

Player walks around, sees an unarmed claymore, decides to arm it, accidentally picks it up, drops it, player now has half the stamina without carrying anything.

Technically, in real life, if you are carrying something, you dont suddenly get a limit to how "untired" you can get.

In my opinion, this is how the stamina system should be modelled:
-Player A spawns with a pistol, nothing more
-Player B spawns with a full assault loadout, and a claymore
-Both players have full stamina
-Player A and Player B jog to Objective
-Player A now has 95% stamina remaining
-Player B now has 25% stamina remaining

See what i'm getting at? Its not the maximum value that should be reduced, but the rate at which stamina decreases.

I know SS wouldn't make such an awkward descision unless it had a significant hit on gameplay, so I am very interested to hear why this system was chosen, and if any changes are going to be made to the stamina system for this bonus back or future releases.

Last edited:

mat69

just fooling around
Dec 9, 2001
Österreich
www.combatmaps.de
And now tell me how do you know, how far you can ran? Because the stamina bar would tell you nothing! It could decrease fast or not. At all I think the system used now is the same as you suggest, the only difference is that now you can see how far you can run (with a bit practize in fact).

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
Derelan said:
Here's my biggest issue with the game:

Player walks around, sees an unarmed claymore, decides to arm it, accidentally picks it up, drops it, player now has half the stamina without carrying anything.

Technically, in real life, if you are carrying something, you dont suddenly get a limit to how "untired" you can get.

In my opinion, this is how the stamina system should be modelled:
-Player A spawns with a pistol, nothing more
-Player B spawns with a full assault loadout, and a claymore
-Both players have full stamina
-Player A and Player B jog to Objective
-Player A now has 95% stamina remaining
-Player B now has 25% stamina remaining

See what i'm getting at? Its not the maximum value that should be reduced, but the rate at which stamina decreases.

I know SS wouldn't make such an awkward descision unless it had a significant hit on gameplay, so I am very interested to hear why this system was chosen, and if any changes are going to be made to the stamina system for this bonus back or future releases.
I completely agree with you. If you want to see a lengthy and heated discussion with Beppo about this subject go here: http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=121919

I won't say anything beyond that, or else Beppo will jump in here and flame me.

Beppo

Infiltration Lead-Programmer
Jul 29, 1999
Aachen, Germany
infiltration.sentrystudios.net
HAHA LOL

welllllll.....

first thing... this is NOT a 'we want this and that' thread... this is a thread about the bonus pack. The new weapons within the bonus pack are brought into the game using a MUTATOR ... and not by adding the core files again...
So if you start to make this a wishlist thread then please keep in mind that changes on the basic features are normally not doable using mutators, thx.

to the claymores, -PUNITORE-
if you need more time to place your claymores in a TDM game then you should ask your team to cover your back while you set them up. If your team would block off the enemy from your position then you would get enough time to do this. Without support setting up a claymore is risky... same as if you would look down to the ground in the middle of an alley.

to the flaming...
I only 'flame' people if they constantly try to flame me or our team or simply think that their system is better than ours and do not even try to understand how and why our stuff works this way.

The little thing about the stamina above is something like that cause in the end both systems are exactly the same. If a full bar takes ie 10 seconds to go down to zero for someone carrying only a pistol and 5 seconds for someone packed like a mule or if the second guy starts with have the stamina bar left and it decreases with the same speed as for the pistol only guy needing 5 seconds to go down to zero then too... is in fact no difference.
The only difference you have is that our current system tells you how much you are carrying even with your stamina being full. So you have a direct link between the bulk meter and the stamina meter that is easy compareable by a quick look. Your system with the same stamina bar length no matter how much bulk you are carrying gives you no info at all. You will not know that you can only run for ie only 5 seconds cause all you see is the full stamina bar. I bet that folks would have complained about things like 'I can only run 10 meters and my stamina was full'. Now even the dumbest newbie will realize that his maximum stamina changes at the time he picks up stuff.... So, our current system has a bunch of advantages against the 'always full stamina bar' system that you guys have in mind.

And to the stamina hit while picking up things. Sure, pickups that do happen by mistake or are the only way to pickup the one item that you want to grab below a bunch of others are not something you want to happen and then the stamina hit is not really a good thing... but a stamina hit for picking up stuff has to be there cause you need strength and stamina to lift and grab objects... as simple as this. If you grab a minimi and two spare boxes of ammo, carry it for 100 meters or even more, then drop it... would you then have full stamina back instantly in RL? Nope of course... so regeneration then jumps in.

Anyway... no need to discuss the stamina stuff here again... plz only discuss things that are relevant and reasonable for the bonus pack, thx.

gal-z

May 20, 2003
Ramat-Hasharon, Israel
Visit site
And if I carry that minimi and 2 boxes for 2 meters? Does it still instantly drop my stamina and not recover it? Because then it really makes no sense.
When max stamina increaces X times, the current stamina should increace by the same amount. Say u have 0.25/0.5 and drop items, u should have 0.5/1, not 0.25/1. Of course, I didn't test this, so if it is already like this, ignore my post :p

ecale3

Sniper - May be harmful to your health.
Jul 13, 2001
Maryland Bitch.
www.ecale25.netfirms.com
fist_mlrs said:
i dare you to name one map beside rtk with a combat range of more then 100 meter. so do we realy need more code to slow things down just incase someday we might shot a single pixel 500 meters away and want to inflict two or three less damage points then usual?

Junglewarfare :p You never said it had to be a good, or commonly played, map.