Dreamcast maps?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
Well personally i would appreciate seeing the ps2 versions of the PC maps. But like you said, concentrate on the not yet released stuff first.

And on naming..... I've always liked tags. As long as they are concise of course. none of that "ons-torlanextreme-winter-edition-in-bed-on-top-extreme-ion-warfare-leviathan-and-phoenix-heaven".
THAT severely pisses me off. As do maps which have the authors name in the tags.

Situations in which i LIKE tags are when it is map pack related like with the CBP. Whenever i download a big new map pack, having everything tagged makes it easy to find and play all the maps located in that mess of files that is my UT install.

In this situation i have a unique view on the tags.
If it is a map that was never ported before, like ctf-sepulchure for example, then no tags should be present. But if it is a map that was altered specifically for the ps2 version, such as CTF-dreary, then the mapname should involve tags. CTF-Dreary-PS2 would be the best choice imo. It helps a lot. Just a quick example. Say you think to yourself "i want to play a game on ctf-Dreary" and you go to the map list to search for dreary. Once you find it you would be presented with two choices:
CTF-Dreary
CTF-Dreary-PS2
So you can easily choose which version you want to play. This is not possible when the tag precedes the mapname. "CTF-PS2-dreary" would not appear in the right place in the map list.

I don't really agree with calling these maps "ctf-Dreary][" and whatnot. Because they are NOT dreary 2 or november 2. They are just new little twists on an old map. These maps are not sequels, they are varients. Varients should not be marked as sequels.

But anways, how goes progress? :)

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
Thanks for the insight! I agree with putting the tag behind the mapname, for the same reason you already gave there. ;)

I've been doing some work on the bot pathing in Coagulate and Hood. In Coagulate the bots use every part of the map, and in Hood they have improved greatly as well. They have no troubles using the elevators now, they go for the Shield Belt, they frequently jump off of the higher ledges and they also visit every place except for one part of the Pulse Gun area.
So they would enter this area, grab the Pulse Gun, and no matter what I do to change this, they will always immediately leave the area through the entrance point instead of going to the elevator. Funnily enough, this bug seems to exist in the PS2 version as well. I parked my character next to that elevator which the bot would never visit in my version while I working further on some other stuff, and indeed: nearly 30 minutes later my character was still left unhurt.

Right now I'm working on Brickyard, and boy, it's sure going to look radically different from Drunkenobi's version since I replaced probably about 80% of the textures in there. Now I'm going to do some changes to the lighting and check the bot pathing before moving on to the next one.

So the maps that have been ported are:
DM-Coagulate
DM-Core
DM-Flux
DM-Hood

And I'm almost done with Brickyard as well, so nearly all of the DM maps are done (DM-CanyonFear, DM-Loating and DM-Sorayama remain). The hard part however, will be porting the remaining ones from scratch. Obviously that'll take a longer while than editing existing ones.

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
Thanks, man! Drunkenobi deserves credit as well, because if it weren't for his maps I most likely never would've started this. Also, without the great support here I probably would've given up by now. :)

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
You're right about spiritual support - try announcing anything like that in the Unreal II subforum and you'll most likely get a load of "WTF? This game is DEAD! Quit trying to revive it *pokes*" style of messages. But if you do succeed, you will see a bunch on messages like "Cool" or "Good work!" :)

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
Yeah. Otherwise it wouldn't be complete, would it? I don't want people go like "but where are the CTF maps?" (and of course DOM-Osiris) when they open it.

Also, it's not an incredible difficult or long process to create a level for UT. Let's say it'll probably take about two weeks to port a map from scratch (that's at least the amount of time I needed to create Flux, but that level is also one of the most difficult to port). Furthermore, the PS2 exclusive maps generally are rather small. It's a job one can handle on his own, provided if he's willing to invest the required amount of time and effort into it. If I had to port, for example, the 360 exclusive maps for UT3, now that would be quite another story (I don't even have a 360 to begin with).

Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Yep, god Seth. We got names such as Osiris, Anubis, Selket, etc...
I don't really see SETI as Seth anyway. Unreal 1 was more about Hindu mythology.