Why you shouldn't buy games in shops

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
But what if that shop gets bought out and then shuts down? Huh? Huh?

you can then call the publisher ... or the people that bought the shop as they tend to get the service-contracts as well.

that's how the law works.

I guess americans aren't used to a system that prevents shops from selling crap without service.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
you can then call the publisher ... or the people that bought the shop as they tend to get the service-contracts as well.

What if the publisher buys the shop, closes it, and then files for bankruptcy? Huh? Huh? :lol:

I guess americans aren't used to a system that prevents shops from selling crap without service.

Yes, we're a bunch of lawless cowboys!

gunslinger_0.gif

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
http://billmullins.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/damaged-cd.jpg

They put the games on these circular discs with a hole in the middle. That's fine and all, but what they don't tell you is that sometimes those discs are/get damaged and then you're totally screwed, because you paid good money for something that doesn't work.

Boycot games in shops! :mad:
That picture is what happens when you put a CD in a microwave for 5 seconds.

Not that I uh... know from experience or anything. :con:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000

I'm really wondering why you thin this would not be the case if someone were to buy Steam. It's just as likely someone would sell their shop and the buyer wouldn't follow through on their service commitments.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
That's when you grab the backup copy you made and use that instead. That's what they are there for. That's why you have the god given right to make backups.

Now, if you didn't make a backup or bought a game that prevents you from making one without diving into illegalities, that's when you have to blame yourself. :p

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
You can't see the disk, the packaging is always sealed.

So once again, you're wrong.
I don't see how a sealed case could be in that condition, since for that to happen, it'd kinda need to be, you know, opened.

Even then, unless it looks completely brand new, I'd be checking the media. And if it's scratched up like that, the store better offer a refund. Do it right inside or outside of the store right after you buy it, so they can't say you took it home and beat it up.

(First post from E8400 and GTX 285! Yay! Now if only I could get friggin' Vista x64 hurdled... a few more hoops to jump through!)

Last edited: