CTF4 for UT2004!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
You need a sudden death mode, if someone has all three flags and caps them, their team wins no questions! :D
So much stuff you can do with it! You could have a scoring mode where a team gets one point everytime they steal each one of the enemies flags, this way you could get all teams picking on each other diplomatically rather than just the one with the worst players! Etc! I guess that makes it to complicated though!

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Now that it's mentioned...How is the default scoring system gonna look like?
IIRC, the UT version had a system where a team got a point if another team capped their flag. After reaching X points, that team lost the game and the players from it were divided over the remaining teams.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Taleweaver said:
Now that it's mentioned...How is the default scoring system gonna look like?
IIRC, the UT version had a system where a team got a point if another team capped their flag. After reaching X points, that team lost the game and the players from it were divided over the remaining teams.
Default scoring mode is the same as regular CTF: Get x flags to win. CTF4 did have a option similar to what you're talking about (Elimination) where if a team had the negative of the goal (i.e; if it was 5 flags, the score for it would be -5) they'd be eliminated and redistributed, but that's not the default scoring option.

shadow_dragon said:
You need a sudden death mode, if someone has all three flags and caps them, their team wins no questions! :D
So much stuff you can do with it! You could have a scoring mode where a team gets one point everytime they steal each one of the enemies flags, this way you could get all teams picking on each other diplomatically rather than just the one with the worst players! Etc! I guess that makes it to complicated though!
That's how it works with normal scoring: If you cap two flags, you get two points. No, there will probably be no "Sudden Death" mode where if you cap all three you win instantly, since any good, competent player can prevent the score in a number of ways.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
Dark Pulse said:
Default scoring mode is the same as regular CTF: Get x flags to win. CTF4 did have a option similar to what you're talking about (Elimination) where if a team had the negative of the goal (i.e; if it was 5 flags, the score for it would be -5) they'd be eliminated and redistributed, but that's not the default scoring option.

That's how it works with normal scoring: If you cap two flags, you get two points. No, there will probably be no "Sudden Death" mode where if you cap all three you win instantly, since any good, competent player can prevent the score in a number of ways.

that'd be the point! it'd be SO damned hard to grab all three at once it'd be near impossible and thus could be a damned fine "Fatality" way of winning, i'm nto saying a whole gametype, just as an added otion to normal games, if during a normal standard amtch someone pulls this trick off, then Huzzah! They get rewarded for being god!

The default scoring system worries me, i would imagine most games will turn out being three teams vs one that is left desperately defending itself! essentially the team with the weakest players! (yellow! Admit it!) A way to force the players to attack different colours would stop Alliegances and "bullying"

Growler

Jul 26, 2004
here's another point to consider...

It'd take a LONG LONG time to get together enough people to actually PLAY CTF4 - at the least 2 people per team is needed [1 to defend + 1 to attack]! Just think what the minimum of 4 (or 6) people on a map would be like!

This type of mode will really need a LOT of people to play it properly! Hope the sides'll be equil. And as what Shadow said, let's hope people don't 'gang up' on a weaker team

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
shadow_dragon said:
that'd be the point! it'd be SO damned hard to grab all three at once it'd be near impossible and thus could be a damned fine "Fatality" way of winning, i'm nto saying a whole gametype, just as an added otion to normal games, if during a normal standard amtch someone pulls this trick off, then Huzzah! They get rewarded for being god!
Hmm...3 caps at once, 3*25 adrenaline and an instant 'hat trick' is reward enough for me...
shadow_dragon said:
The default scoring system worries me, i would imagine most games will turn out being three teams vs one that is left desperately defending itself!
It's possible, but don't forget that taking a flag isn't enough: you have to bring it to your base. It can turn into some kind of BR-situation if the 3 teams fight it out on the 4th teams' flag, but I think it's more likely that everyone will be trying to attack where there's the least amount of persons.

shadow_dragon said:
...essentially the team with the weakest players! (yellow! Admit it!)
No way! Gold team will prevail and conquer all other colors (my ingame name Golden_Dragon will finally make some sence again :) ).

Well...it would be a good idea to have some kind of trigger that automatically adds auto-skill-adjusting bots to even out the team every time a player joins/leaves...One person less can be crucial in this gametype :shy:

m&ms

Melts in your mouth, not in your hand.
Jul 13, 2003
in a bag....duh
Visit site
-AEnubis- said:
You could aslo have a scoring system where the winner is the team who manages to cap each of the other teams flags, so one (weaker) team doesn't get "picked on".

from how i understand it, that is a scoring system. maybe not the default system, but i believe dark pulse was talking about how each team needed to capture all the other flags X times. I believe he said that was what the little icons by the scores indicated.

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Radiosity said:
Uh, it's 15 adrenaline for capping ;) Unless I've lost the ability to count of course.
No it's not: 25, according to this site. Oh, wait...that's my own site.
Just rechecked it: it's 25 adrenaline for a cap.

blueneo

Oct 17, 2004
Theres a lot less picking on this game, because if the flag is capped then everyone will either try for the other flags and/or trying to get the bastard who took that flag. No team is going to wait in this gametype for just oen tams flag. Also consider that its a nice combo to get more than one flag, and most wont be content with getting just one flag. Especially Dark_Pulse. And belive me, he isnt, at all.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
[HT]ÜberByte said:
Please oh please make VCTF4 too!!!!!! THAT WOULD OWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i hate ur maps ,

sorry i could't resist

and no , vctf4 is totally Unaxeptable!

=======================================

For CFT4 now , i changed idea , must be really nice overall

ut 200X gametypes need 4 teams

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
holy Sh1t , i map for VCTF , and , all i can tell you , is , i will never map for vctf4 ,

what a mess , i always duplicate my terrain , how i will link them now?

SharKTanK

:zzz:
Oct 5, 2003
Manchester
Oh! Forgot to ask whether the 4 team colours will be available in normal Deathmatch?
Surely it isnt that hard to implement?

I loved how in UT you could be 5 different shades of a skin adding to the already massive variety :cool::tup:

Last edited: