Launch session with specific map rotation via script?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
We all have maps we hate and want to avoid, but setting up your map rotation through the instant action menu is a big pain, and often UT3 will "forget" your rotation when you exit, so you have to spend 5 minutes doing it all again next time.

Is there a way to create a script which launches a local session with desired settings and map rotation, so all you have to do is exec "myTDMlist.cfg" and start fragging?

I am aware of Synx's MapMixer mod, I'm just wondering if there's any way to do it out of the box and w/ no GUI.

Narayana

Jun 16, 2009
There are some ways to automate this with UTMaplists.ini copies and batch files:

1. create and start a session and exit the game, copy+rename the UTMaplists.ini to something you can recognize like UTMapListsDMSTOCKini, UTMapListsDMHolp.ini. Repeat this step for alternate map cycles. Alternatively, you can manually edit the map lists.

2. Now create a batch file for each map list with which to launch the game, ex:
Code:
C:
copy "C:\Users\N\Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Config\UTMapListsDMSTOCK.ini" "C:\Users\N\Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Config\UTMapLists.ini"
J:
CD "J:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\"
set __COMPAT_LAYER=RunAsInvoker
UT3.exe DM-Deck?mutator=MutProfileAutoLogin.MutProfileAutoLogin?ProfileName=YourUsername?ProfilePassword=YourPassword -nostartupmovies
So this tells my computer to start in "C:" , copy my UTMapListsDMSTOCK.ini (one of the files I created in step 1) to my UT3 config directory and rename it to UTMaplists.ini, switch to my other drive, "J:", then Change Directory) into my steam install of UT3, set a compatibility layer for WIN7 (to work around the ICMP issue, in case I wish to exit local session and see all servers), start UT3.exe with one of the maps in my newly copied UTMaplists.ini (skipping menu), set mutator(s), and automatically login. Most (all?) of the command line handles one can use to start/change a server can be added here on the last line(s).

The above batch skips movies and launches elevated to workaround the ICMP issue introduce by Windows 7, some of this is not quite necessary for offline session, or WINXP. It specifies Geist's Autologin mutator http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/595122-Profile-Auto-Login-Beta, which I am not sure is necessary with the latest patches.) You can try to run without this mutator, leaving your login information in the .bat the stock way. Also, this is not necessary if you simply wish to launch the game to main menu after copying the config file.

One alternative to all the above - should you wish to switch map cycles / mutators while the game is still running - is to host local server with webadmin setup and enabled. From webadmin you can create mapcycles of different names, which are effectively added to a single UTMaplists.ini, then you can switch to them through the webadmin gui, once you have setup some gameprofiles.

Last edited: