UEd 3 exporting textures as invalid files

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nimbostratus

Aug 12, 2004
New Jersey, USA
I'm trying to export some textures from UT2003 for use in the original UT, though I can't seem to export the textures from UT2003 without them becoming invalid .dds files that I can't open with anything. How can I successfully export textures?

sandorski

Sep 22, 1999
coquitlam, bc, Canada
Visit site
Souinds like it is Exporting them as a DDS file unrecognized by the UT Editor. What you need to do is use Photoshop or PaintShopPro(you'll need to get the DDS plugin for them) to convert them to TGA files or BMP.

Another thing comes to mind, I think there was a smaller texture size limit for UT, might be wrong though.

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
512x512 is pretty much the max you will want to use with UT99 and for most cases you should stick to 256x256 because ut's engine just isn't designed to handle such amounts of texture data.
And yeah, you need to get photoshop + a .dds plugin so you can load the dds files
You will also need to downsample them to 256colours and save as .pcx
Aparently bmp also works but I never had much luck with it

XepptizZ

What are you lookin at...
May 17, 2004
In solitude
Save em as BMP 24 bit and use bright, a converting tool, to convert them to pcx. It's so good you'll not notice any difference between the BMP and the pcx.

Nimbostratus

Aug 12, 2004
New Jersey, USA
I've just figured out a way to get UT2003 textures into UT without any advanced prgrams. I just open up UT2003 Ed, start hitting printscreen, copy&pasting into paint, saving the textures I want, then converting them into pcx with Irfanview. Its annoying, but it works :D

Last edited:

XepptizZ

What are you lookin at...
May 17, 2004
In solitude
Copy pasting isn't a bad thing at all, but it's annoying and painstaking. And THNX for the link RF. Another tool to add to my editor collection.