How much RAM is enough to play?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
I have 256MB of RAM. Windows does use about 70-90. UT will use about 80MB. Yeah, dropping in another 64MB probably wouldnt hurt.

The optimum setting for the cache in UT is 1/4 your system RAM.

For the math impaired:

RAM/Cache Setting
32/ 8
64/16
128/32
256/64

bullet2.gif

Yeah, they come to snuff the Rooster...
nguid:167703

[This message has been edited by Rooster (edited 01-31-2000).]

Hilroyy

Jan 29, 2000
Visit site
When I play UT it runs fairly smooth but sometimes stutters, it sounds like something is suddenly running in my system.
I have 128 mb of ram in my system, p3 450, 32mb vid card, is this enough or is win98 and UT using all of my ram up when I play. I have memturbo running and when I start UT the physical memory goes down to 0. I assume that this means all 128mb is now being used and that UT is swaping on my HD. Should I get an extra 64 mb of ram or is there something else I could do. I think win98 is using up about 75 - 90 megs just to begin with.

MOFoJoJo

Jan 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
none
Well man....if U dont know the tweak already. Go to System Console and type preferences. In Game Engine settings out the ram thing up from 4 to about 5-10 less than your total ram..That should make in runs alot smoother