One Year Later There's No UT3 Client For Linux

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UndeadD3vi1

Dec 29, 2008
And as it's an emulator, it uses more resources for emulating than a native program would.

Wine Is Not a Emulator < Jesus, its the frigging name....

And as Sir_Brizz said, many are reporting it runs fine on Cedega (I assume Sir_Brizz is referring to the people on the UT3 Linux list)

If it weren't for gaming, I'd have ditched MS's crap a long time ago.

Agreed, right now I have a Linux Netbook on this desk + 22" with 3 SSH Seasons open + a NX Full Desktop connection to a Headless Linux KDE4.1 box on my 19" monitor. Linux is better than Windows for everything except gaming and user friendly-ness (This is improving alot on certain distro's though)

Last edited:

Riz

Sep 12, 2002
Visit site
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=5937
As you can see, it's not that good... The horrible Mouse Escapes The Window Or Is Confined In An Area bug affects it just as well... :(

Thanks for the info, sppose wine is better than nothing, still not enough to ditch windows. UT3 is the last application i'm keeping windows partition for.

I wonder what is more probable - id software adding dodge and shock rifle to Quake series or UT3 in native OpenGL? cuz as soon as either happens - windows is gone! :D

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Wine Is Not a Emulator < Jesus, its the frigging name....

And as Sir_Brizz said, many are reporting it runs fine on Cedega (I assume Sir_Brizz is referring to the people on the UT3 Linux list)

Wine is an emulator named "is not an emulator". That's Linux humour ;) Well, it's actually a Compatibility Layer, but that's almost the same as an emulator.

And Cedega isn't free. Why would you want to use a program that isn't free on Linux?

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
I don't think that's entirely true. Linux devs WANT the OS to go mainstream (Look at Ubuntu+Dell) and are making a lot of progress in making the OS itself more user friendly, but it still isn't there yet. It will take a long time.

Ubuntu is easier to install than Windows :D .

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Overall Linux is really just as good or better in everything except gaming. But even here they're making progress. WINE couldn't open Unreal II or XMP at all last year; now it does this pretty nicely, even without any FPS loss. Steam is also planning to be ported to Linux. I believe that after a few years Linux will be just as known as Windows, or at least just as compatible as Windows.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Well, it's actually a Compatibility Layer, but that's almost the same as an emulator.
Ugh... GreatEmerald is wrong.

• Emulator: Pretends it's an entire host system. It emulates a CPU, Memory, etc. that the original system has.
  • Compatability Layer: Would be like what 64-bit Windows does for 32-bit Windows apps, or how a Nintendo DS can run GBA games. Unless you're getting a new DSi, of course, in which case, you ain't running GBA games.
Wine basically seeks to make a Windows-compatible architecture - DirectX, file access, etc. - and thus why it's not an emulator and should not be considered one.

There's differences. Please know them.

UndeadD3vi1

Dec 29, 2008
As I understand it, it literally includes its own common set of Library's (Windows = DLL) that function the same as the Windows counter-parts which is native code. (The problem with WINE is not everything in these replacement library's is complete yet, or working correctly -In the case of DX-)

And Differences between a Emulator?...

The Playstation 2 has a 299Mhz CPU + 147Mhz GPU. Its Emulation requires at least a Dual Core @ 3Ghz on PC, and even then only 1/3rd of Games will have enough power to be flawless. Even a Quad @ 3Ghz stuggles with alot of games.

DOSBox
This eats CPU, however as a coder, I'm not 100% sure its actual emulation causing this issue. I think it might just be bad use of sleep commands. Still I'll give it as a example. It uses 20% of my QuadCore to play a game that my old 486 runs perfectly.

On the other end, I use Wine and experience no performance loss on many apps, the only apps i have performance loss or issue with are usually games. Also on Linux you absolutely must always use the apparently illegal CD-Cracks, especially with DRM Games (Thank you for listening EA, hopefully your attitude will spread to the rest - If you didn't hear EA are dropping DRM << I honestly never expected to say those words!)

Last edited:

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Also on Linux you absolutely must always use the apparently illegal CD-Cracks, especially with DRM Games (Thank you for listening EA, hopefully your attitude will spread to the rest - If you didn't hear EA are dropping DRM << I honestly never expected to say those words!)
Only for Sims 3 in the first instance - I wouldn't get too excited. :)

You seem to be confusing DVD/CD-based copy protection with DRM. Although the two often seem to serve a similar purpose, they are different and do have different implementations.

http://thesims3.ea.com/view/pages/newsItem.jsp?item=-608201177

There will still be copy protection of the kind that you are referring to (fair enough, they need the comfort blanket) but at least the online authentication for a SP game will be gone (I believe that Sims 2 did have some online sharing features - I expect there will still be some sort of check on the validity of the DVD key.)

UndeadD3vi1

Dec 29, 2008
I made no confusion. DRM is directly coded into the DVD Checks on a lot of games. This includes any recent Securom Game. (GTA IV for example; the DVD Check and DRM code are both in LaunchGTAIV.exe)

And some CD/DVD-Checks can be worked around in Linux (I.e. Cedega), however the DRM usually always goes crazy, making that more of a issue than the DVD-Checks.

Of course in every case CD-Keys will still be used to keep players offline on pirate copys. My legal cracked copy of GTA IV plays fine on Xbox Live (Sorry, GfWL - Its hard to tell as it looks the same and has the same sound effects)

Last edited:

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
"legal cracked copy" umm.... oxymoron?

And Cedega isn't free. Why would you want to use a program that isn't free on Linux?
Good point... um, wait, UT3 isn't free.

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Good point... um, wait, UT3 isn't free.

Only a few games are free. Besides, UT3 is not-free-enough to make us want to stop wasting money. And getting a program that isn't free for one game that also isn't free is not something most people would want to do, especially when a Linux version was guaranteed.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
UT3 Linux and Mac clients release date - March 25th 2010
UT4 release date - March 30th 2010

That would be a nice kick in the ass to those users now wouldnt it. Bet it happens :lol:

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Guesstimates I suppose. Provocative ones. I don't mind Epic keeping the UT games in the Windows PC only sphere. We can't play vs the X360 or the PS3 anyway and a Linux port will be the same way. The community would be bigger and more satisfied if UT3 were Windows XP only.

Cross platform is great, but I think it failed this time. Maybe it will actually work for Rage and id tech 5.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Guesstimates I suppose. Provocative ones. I don't mind Epic keeping the UT games in the Windows PC only sphere. We can't play vs the X360 or the PS3 anyway and a Linux port will be the same way. The community would be bigger and more satisfied if UT3 were Windows XP only.

False. PC OS work a lot more similarly than platforms. All you need to do to port a game to another OS is dump a bunch of files into the original Windows install (for Linux, it's .SO files and one binary to launch). They use the same internet connection options so they are net compatible by default.