What was your least favorite aspect of TAM/Freon?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Least favorite?

• Round based play (waiting to spawn)

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Loaded Spawns (no map control)

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Challenge mode (Negative feedback)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No implicit objective (powerups dictate flow and eliminate "run and hide")

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Ammo restricitons

• Lack of ammo restrictions

• Problems inherent to 2kx (open maps, adren, hit scan prevalecne)

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Mechanics changes (adren mods, lowered shock combo ammo cost, lowered SG self damage)

• Lack of enhanced Netcode

• Other: Explain in post

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Just curious.

After reading some stuff at the epic forums, I'm wondering what potential changes would help the mod if future iteration of it were to be considered. Obviously some of these may not be "optional."

Last edited:

dc

Aug 17, 2005
Other: the people who played it. It's like the COD/Halo console community somehow leaked into UT, but only found out about this one custom gametype.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Other. There's hundreds of different mods for UT that can be combined into numberless combinations of different kinds of games. And we're all sitting here playing the same thing over and over. Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity?

Yeah, not really a complaint with the gametype itself but seriously now...

Last edited:

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
Much like CPMA was to Q3A (in the most negative way), ComplacentGamingSyndrome StopHavingFunGuys is always a elitist gamekilling tumor.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
The only problem with TAM was that the UTComp features should not have been built in. Keep the brightskins and so forth as a separate mutator.

TAM is the only place that you can go head to head with only the core combat mechanics. It's a staple now. Deal with it.

Apr 11, 2006
Probably running out of ammo / not having a way to replenish ammo on long rounds. I think I would've preferred if ammo counts in general were quartered but ammo would replenish automatically.

Also, poorly designed maps with powerful camping spots.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Other: the people who played it. It's like the COD/Halo console community somehow leaked into UT, but only found out about this one custom gametype.
I voted for basic 2k4 mechanics, but this is also quite true. The people that stuck with TAM for the long haul are extremely arrogant, and a good number of them are absolutely terrible at the game but decent at TAM. It rewards hiding from action until later in the round. I think a lot of people are also turned off to it simply because it devoured the remainder of the small community that was left in 2k4 a few months before UT3 came out. After that, there were Instagib and TAM servers and pretty much nothing else (except Demo servers).

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
TAM was good for UT2004 because it fit it's Arcade shooter feel. People would rather bounce around and try to make trick shots than worry about timing pickups.

Ghash_hardass

May 24, 2012
Norway
I love tam! Tired of them nabbs in DM duals timing shield and weapons!
In tam we all start with the same stuff, and its all up to your self to try make best use of it!

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
GUYS, STOP HAVING FUN AND PLAY THE WAY I WANT IT PLAYED! :mad:

No need to rip on people who enjoy something different. If playing it a different way other than normal is fun for you, keep having fun.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Since I'm a public player, my least favorite aspect (besides usually being the worst player on the server) was that I had to wait to respawn with nothing to do except wait and spectate. That's a problem inherent to the game mode's core concept for players with a lower-than-average skill level, compared to other players on the server.

Freon and Jailbreak are also round-based, but in Freon there's a chance to be thawed and in Jailbreak you aren't forced to spectate, but can instead still interact with the map.

dc

Aug 17, 2005
So you'd of had zero complaints about it as a game type, had it been played only by those in the CTF community?

The question was "what is your least favourite aspect" not "what is the only thing you disliked", and I made no mention of the CTF community. That isn't even relevant.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
The players are as symptom, not an aspect, so really you didn't answer the question.

Which is fine, I can't force you to be constructive. I expected as much from a few of you.

dc

Aug 17, 2005
I disagree that the players are not an aspect, but I'm sorry my answer wasn't good enough for you.

Last edited: