Do the posters of this subforum still play UT?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
Yeah, between GtkRadiant and Unreal Editor (UT3 version), just glad both have additive geometry, and makes mapping for both nearly flawless.
I'm hearing that the Quake Live crowd is booming, while the UT3 crowd is nearly a trickle. Could be wrong, but even tho I am active in both communities, I really can't tell where the better crowd really is.

Last edited:

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Yeah, between GtkRadiant and Unreal Editor (UT3 version), just glad both have additive geometry, and makes mapping for both nearly flawless.
I'm hearing that the Quake Live crowd is booming, while the UT3 crowd is nearly a trickle. Could be wrong, but even tho I am active in both communities, I really can't tell where the better crowd really is.

Sooo many dang exploits in quake live that lamers exploit. Drives me nuts.

The first level I ever made for the ut series was a expansion/remake of campgrounds. It doesn't look great but adds allot of twisted fun in the form of triggerable booby traps and new playable areas. I have reworked it several times because I didn't like the quality and mistakes of the first version. Not trying to pimp myself just saying I am an old Q3 gamer and I thank you for any conversion levels you have made.

I think the major reasons for the deficit of UT3 players is 1 hardware based, 2 many of the older return fanbase where thurough arses to the newbs and chased them off, and 3 the decision to not include a stock invasion gametype was a retarded move on epics part. Load up ut2k4 right now and you'll find a massive list of servers still running and available for that gametype. It's fanbase is huge and many of them (that I know at least) refuse to buy/play ut3 for that reason.

UT2k4 and Q3 (and by exstension Q3live) have a few things in common which should insure a continued long life for the games. Neither developer has been able to recapture that overall level of customer satisfaction since. Though ID it seems to have realised early on that IDtech4 was crap for multiplayer. While epics screw up was elsewhere.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
I still have UT loaded up but I seem to have been stuck on Fallout 3 for years.

I went to play Oblivion a couple of weeks ago and my disc no longer reads.:(

Occasionally I have been getting into the original Doom(s) with the Doom Legacy front end.

But UT still beats UT3 hands down for the big fun factor.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Red Orchestra (mod) was some of the best MP gaming I've ever experienced
Ugh! I miss it! I miss not having a life!

You should come join me in Darkest Hour then! Bullet, shells [Arty and Tank] sounds have been greatly improved, as well as armor penetration system. Tank Combat is a blast. RO is only 10$ on steam now and DH is free.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Epic died on it's arse after UT2004.

I haven't had a gaming PC for a while, but I had UT installed (pretty much SP only).

I installed UT2004 a while ago, but I wouldn't be against playing it again.

UT2003 wasn't great, UT2004 did it better.

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
Personally I consider it treason to uninstall games such as Q3 and UT(any).

I always go out of my way to insult and deride anyone I know who does so.

kiff

That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
Except for quakelive, I don't have any games installed on my current system. I pretty much stopped gaming when I stopped modding a couple yrs back. My wrist/carpel tunnel started to hurt. I used to play 2k3, and a little 2k4 and ut3...

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
Up until last Tues (when SC2 came out) I had been playing UT3 nearly everynite. Not as a want to, but as a "**** its the best option available."

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
It's ok, don't be scared. :hankhill.jpg:

hankhill.jpg

togmkn

tog-em-kay-en
Jun 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I play UT3 for a few minutes now and then, but not very often. I only bought UT a few months ago, so every time I join a server I get killed before I even know which team I'm on. (I kicked ass on the Dreamcast though!)

Arcturus

Not From Bloody Starcraft
Jan 23, 2000
Totally Not Korhal IV
Benfica how come your list in the OP contained all the worst posters? (except MADXW and TWD, who own)

I do still occassionally load up various UT games for a botmatch or two, but not as much as I used to. Although I have all the games on Steam now so there's no real excuse, I don't even have to hunt for the discs anymore. It's still fun, but I'm usually not that motivated to play it anymore since there's so much other stuff.