New UT server - need players!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

I_LoveToKill

Danish Bastard!
Nov 11, 2001
Denmark
Heya!

Just got my dedicated UT server up and running. :eek:

I am running some custom maps (Cause I love custom maps),
could some of you people maybe try to play a bit on it, and
tell me what you think?

It will be up 24/7 - 12 player max, Im realy looking for
some players, so feel free to come and play as much as you like.

Anyways, here is the info you need to logon...

Address is:

einherjer.dynip.com:7787

Or

62.243.241.176:7787

Server name in UT server browser is: (Without the quotes)

" !!!! THE BEST CUSTOM MAPS - Dedicated - MapVote 3 [CSHP]"

Just sort on the server name on the 'Deathmatch' tab, in the UT
server browser, and it should be up there at the top 8 or
something like that.

Thanks a lot! :D

Last edited:

ViperXL

Great Car
Dec 9, 1999
St. Louis, MO, USA
thats exactly what i was going to ask...

I get a 150ms ping in MS-DOS that = at least a 200ms ping in UT, not so good over here...

Where is it located?

I_LoveToKill

Danish Bastard!
Nov 11, 2001
Denmark
Pipe!

Heya,

800k DSL

[Edit] Thats my upstream btw - just to clear any misunderstanding

Downloads are right now being served uz compressed
from another dsl line running a webserver.

I have stayed away from huge (Filesize) maps so most
downloads wont take were long.

I have a mappack for download also, if players want to
get all the maps in one big zip if they decide to hang around.

There is also a FTP server running for people to download single
maps.

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
OK, just tried your server and I have Ariza][ and it starts to dl it to my cache. No dice, I don't play servers that do this. If I have it, it should just bring it up; if not, I hit F10 and move on. Pings are a little high, but seems to be no big deal. Not sure what to change, but this map problem needs to be fixed.

What's your map rotation? Either list them here or send us to a web site. People that run non-clan servers, open to public servers need to post their map rotations more often.

SkaarjMaster

I_LoveToKill

Danish Bastard!
Nov 11, 2001
Denmark
Dm-ArizA-][

Hey SkaarjMaster,

I just checked the ariza map I have
and it is spelled:

(Got it from NaliCity)

Dm-ArizA-][

Is your version if ariza from another server? - maybe
it has had the big A changed or something? that may
cause the server to send it to you again - If you have
the time I would appreciate if you could check the spelling
case of the map you have.

About the map rotation, I have a website, just click on the
'web site' button on my posts and it will take you there - I
have a forum on there, but I didnt want to spam my url in my
post, because I think that is bad form, so just click on that and
there is a link to the map ratation...

btw, thanks for checking.

Run N. Gun

[Fü§îòñDM] Giant Map Clan
Jan 22, 2001
Arizona, USA
www.users.qwest.net
I'll come check out your new server, later tonight. I'm in the states, so I don't expect a great ping, but I might be surprised. :)

I'll grab the map pack, first. How big is the whole download?

Go easy on 'em there, Skaarj. At least people are still putting up new UT servers, as opposed to all of them going away. He's asking for input and I think your input is great. :)

I_LoveToKill

Danish Bastard!
Nov 11, 2001
Denmark
Mappack size

Hey Run N. Gun,

Thanks, the mappack is 47mb - I am trying to get it smaller
but it is hard, most of the realy small (filesize) maps are
not that great to play.

You could also look at the maprotation and see what is playing
and then get the next couple of maps - they are in the mappack
folder as single files as well.

I am serving custom maps because there are so few servers
running those awesome maps that are out there

I would also like to put on maps that players wants to play, but
cant find anywhere online, but first I need some players hehe...

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I know what's going on. I changed the name of the map after I downloaded from NC last year to the standard format DM-Ariza][ from the original spelling Dm-ArizA-][. I'll change it back! I've done this with a few other maps, so if something starts downloading in the future but I know I have it, I'll check. Sorry for being so harsh; it's too bad it does this even though it's the exact same file.

I'll try the server again tonight and check the web site. Forgot there was a website button. See everyone soon!

SkaarjMaster

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
OK, I have 15 of the 33 maps on your server. After checking some reviews out I now have 19 of the 33 and will be on your server tonight very soon. Just a few comments and suggestions first:

- might want to just pick one Deck map
- some maps I deleted for one reason or another and aren't coming back on my hard drive (Tupiza][, Requiem, Prong][, Quatro and Kinetica)
- the rest of the maps I'm just not interested in downloading or might in the near future (basically, undecided on this now)
- may want to replace Helleth with Helleth][ (seems to be better).
- you definitely have some maps I haven't seen on servers before plus some great custom maps and you ARE in my favorites and will be there for a while (pretty good for not playing the server yet huh).
- other great custom maps are (some may be too small or too large, but I'm going to list them anyway): Splendor, 1on1 DavidM, 1on1 Magdalena, Abomination Complex, Aggressive Tendencies ][, Bloody Blocks, Brothers in Arms, Defiant, DeathStar Docking Bay, Temple Of Divinity, Divine Intervention, Edge ][, Empowered, Escherland ][, Falkenstein, Fast Food, Groove Box ][, Hall Of Legends, Hellish Orders, Knee Deep In The Dead, Memento Mori, Nali Castle ][, Nalis Azure ][, Organic, Q]l[ House Of Pain, Sacred Ritual, Sands][, Scimitar, Temple of Brutality ][, Unsettled, UT Tourney ][, UTCP-No Limit, WarZone2: Ad Dominus.

Note: some are theme maps and some may not like them, but I do.

Now that everyone knows my favorite DM maps, put some custom maps on your servers! See Ya!

SkaarjMaster

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Pings are a little high at over 200 up to 257. Bots are obviously tweaked for abilities and kicked my ass even though only experienced (might need to tone this down a bit, unless you're looking for the bots imitating humans thing). O.K., I'm not that good, for those of you who don't know already. They kicked my ass in Grim War's Fist and I came close to winning in Anubis (my favorite map) only because I knew where the Redeemer was and they didn't go for it; also, the bots kept killing themselves dodging into the slime, it was rather hilarious. I need to get a better handle on dodging and strafing, etc. (I've downloaded UT bible stuff but just haven't applied it yet.

The voting thing is good; hopefully, people won't vote for the same maps over and over. The good thing about a Custom Map Server is you don't have to worry about getting maps from the game again and again.

This server is definitely worth trying!

SkaarjMaster

I_LoveToKill

Danish Bastard!
Nov 11, 2001
Denmark
SkaarjMaster

SkaarjMaster,

I mainly added the other Deck maps because they are
so well known and may help to get people started playing.

The other maps I selected both from reading reviews
at the major review sites, (and lots of my own playtesting)
but it was also a criteria that they should have both the
shieldbelt and the armor - i think thats two very important
pickups to have in a map, I know I work a LOT on my shieldbelt
timing and controlling the armor.

Didn't know about Helleth][, I actually took Helleth off the rotation
because it seems to have a problem locating a file when it comes
up so I will try Helleth][ - I love that map!

Tupiza][ and Prong][ was mostly to have something for players
that likes to snipe a bit and to change the pace.

I will look at the maps you suggested, I know some of them,
but have not included them, either because of the shield/armor
thing, or because they were huge files to download.

I_LoveToKill

Danish Bastard!
Nov 11, 2001
Denmark
SkaarjMaster

SkaarjMaster,

Ups hehe, you wrote another reply while I was
writing my reply... :eek:

You are right about the bots, they are all set like this:

aim way down
no favorite weapon
jumpy
max strafe

Inhuman skill - dont know why it shows as 'Experienced' in the UT browser?

But yes, maybe the 'Inhuman' level is to high, dont want
my bots to turn people off playing.

All the bots have the tag [BOT] so you know its a bot.

It helped me a lot to tweak my dodgeclicktime in the
'user.ini' file - mine is set at:

DodgeClickTime=0.300000

That way you dont have to doubleclick so fast to dodge.

Hehe, falkenstein yes - I have a pretty nice rig and that map kills my frame rate - it is an exelent piece of work, but to hard on the system.

I have one very big map 'DM-InnerCityUnit' - its not a huge
download, easy on the system, and GREAT fun to play.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Inhuman may be a bit high, maybe bump it down the one below this in skill (not below in choices directory, obviously). Ah, that explains a lot all bots jumpy and max strafe. I would say make 1/4 of bots jumpy, 1/2 agggressive and the rest whatever. Also, only max strafe a few. Also, make sure that Loque is still the toughest.

Keep the [BOT] tag, this is cool!

I will check out DodgeClickTime.

Also, Falkenstein kills my framerates, but is still playable but barely (P3-500, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Rage Fury, SBLiveValue!; playing at 800x600 on 17-inch monitor, 32-bit, most setting on the highest). Some of the new maps coming out now (i.e. - Research Lab, Sun-Tzu's War Academy) and new mods (i.e.- Real Tournament) really kill my framerates; need to upgrade my system soon!

SkaarjMaster

Run N. Gun

[Fü§îòñDM] Giant Map Clan
Jan 22, 2001
Arizona, USA
www.users.qwest.net
As the server admin, you pick the maps that you want to run. If I don't like that map, I can wait until the next one.

I like changing the maps up so they all don't have the same feel/play style. That's what makes it fun. So many great maps out there to chose from. Someone may like one or none, that's just the beauty of the game. I have seen many a great map go the way of instagib, because of the ESR Ho's. Again, I like the variety that UT offers, so the more choices, the better. If you put in the powerups, put in all the weapons, too. That keeps the game balanced. If I can pull off a monster kill with a deemer against a bunch of ESR Ho's, I'm a happy gamer. :D :D

Sorry, I had a much longer day at work that I expected, so I won't be playing tonight, but will head over to grab your map pack. I'll try to jump on your server tomorrow night.

Again, thanks for putting up another server for us to enjoy.