Unofficial technical weapon question forum.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rostam

PSN: Rostam_
May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
Someone I knows claims the l85 is more powerful than the m16 because it has a more effective gas system. I found that strange because the longer barrel lenght of the m16 alone should create more power, no?

Please enlighten me, and whoever is right please give as much info as possible. Thanks!

ravens_hawk

Apr 20, 2002
Visit site
Actually as far as I can tell the barrel lengths of the two weapons are the about the same, the L85A2 is 518mm (non carbine) and I believe the M16A1 (or whatnot) is 508mm. Not much difference there. It's odd because I've seen muzzle velocities of 940m/s for both the L85A2 and M16A1, but I've also seen muzzle velocities of 850m/s listed for the M16A2. Makes you wonder...
Let's get some people with technical knowledge of the respective rifles in here. Where's Tiffy when you need him?

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
Tiffy posted the other day, didn't he?

Oh and a question:
What would be the difference, (if any) in M1919 reloading procedure between mid-belt and a fully-expended belt?

The same question applied to the DP-28 with its pan.

Last edited:

Meplat

Chock full-o-useless information
Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
1919, with a partial belt? Open top cover, lay in fresh belt, make sure the extractor has a good hold on the first round, hold the feed tab of the belt, close top cover.Continue firing. DO NOT pull back the charging knob (fires from a closed bolt, and will have a hot round in the chamber, and already be cocked)
New belt? The gun's probably been run dry. Either thread the tab through the feed pawls, or open the top cover, and lay the fresh one in. Close, pull the charging knob back once, twice if you're paranoid, and fire.

Have'nt dealt with a DP. I can ask, if you're REALLY interested.

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
Meplat said:

It's just a soviet-ified Lewis Gun without the water jacket and with better heat properties. Just drop a new pan in if you're half way through, or drop one in and cock it if you're empty. Bolt hold-opens are creations of the imperalist marauders.

The_Pikeman

Also known as Howski
Nov 20, 2001
Caerphilly, Wales
Visit site
It's not really a weapon question but a weapon attachement but here goes:

As Alien Vs Preditor is not out in my country I've not seen it, but while not watching it I didn't notice that for some reason they were using green laser points..... got me to thinking why are they red and is there any reason that they couldn't use green. I realise this was hollywood making it look cool but it just got me thinking......

-How.

Spier

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
The_Pikeman said:
It's not really a weapon question but a weapon attachement but here goes:

As Alien Vs Preditor is not out in my country I've not seen it, but while not watching it I didn't notice that for some reason they were using green laser points..... got me to thinking why are they red and is there any reason that they couldn't use green. I realise this was hollywood making it look cool but it just got me thinking......

-How.
Red is easier to spot than green, no? AFAIK, the answer isn't more complicated than that.

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
Meplat said:
1919, with a partial belt? Open top cover, lay in fresh belt, make sure the extractor has a good hold on the first round, hold the feed tab of the belt, close top cover.Continue firing. DO NOT pull back the charging knob (fires from a closed bolt, and will have a hot round in the chamber, and already be cocked)
New belt? The gun's probably been run dry. Either thread the tab through the feed pawls, or open the top cover, and lay the fresh one in. Close, pull the charging knob back once, twice if you're paranoid, and fire.

Cheers!

I've been away spamming the PS forums and I missed this.

Will see if the person in question still needs the info.

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
Your eye is least sensitive to red:
response.jpg

Thus, red laser attachments are most effective in low-light operations where high eye sensitivity and wide irises are a must. They also happen to be the cheapest to purchase (since they somehow became the most frequently produced) color of laser diodes.

However, as for laser pointers, green is a better choice, since the eye can see it easier.

Last edited:

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
i thought it was a questions of pyhics and cost. That red wqve length lasers wher easier and cheaper to pruduce han anyother coloutr.

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
(SDS)benmcl said:
i thought it was a questions of pyhics and cost. That red wqve length lasers wher easier and cheaper to pruduce han anyother coloutr.

They are. But i also think an MP40 is cheaper and easier to produce than an MP5A4, but you don't see the SWAT using those, now do you?

Arethusa

We will not walk in fear.
Jan 15, 2004
Is also worth pointing out that red is often favored because it tends to contrast with the environment more often than other colors statistically would— at least, for the uses of a laser pointer or LAM. Not the sole reason red is the de facto standard, but it's a notable one of many.

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
You are of course correct Derelan. Now I hope i found the last post I made last night when I am not sure how I even turned on the computer let alone log in.

Profe

Jun 12, 2001
Visit site
I saw a vid on the p90 where they point it how its ambidiextrus(I know I spelled that wrong) cause it ejects the shells downwards. Where exactly do the shells eject in the p90? Is it the same as in the F2000?