UE1 - UT Krall skin looks fine in 3ds max, but not when it's in Unreal (and other questions)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

AlCapowned

Jan 20, 2010
I've exported the krall from UT with UTPT and completely removed its staff with 3DS Max. I also used Unreal3d to get the model to animate properly.

The skin looks fine in 3DS Max

...but for some reason it looks completely messed up in Unreal.

I was able to reduce the 'problem areas' at one point (I've forgotten how to do it again), but the texture problem on the left side of the krall's chest stayed.

I also extracted the mesh for the Relic of Strength with UTPT, but I had to use 3D Object Converter to get the mesh to import properly into 3DS Max. The mesh looks fine, but its skin is completely messed up. I'm a complete noob with Max, so I'm not at all sure on what to do to make the Relic look like it did in UT. I plan on giving a krall boss the relic to use as a weapon.

Could somebody who knows a little about 3DS Max and Unreal help me out?

War_Master

May 27, 2005
About 95% of meshes exported with UTPT or WotGreal come out all messed up. Even if you use the _d.3d for the model the animation file does something to the mesh that screws it up anyway.

Use UModel to export meshes from UT instead. I haven't seen any of the many meshes I've exported with UModel come out bad like those other exporters do.

AlCapowned

Jan 20, 2010
Can UModel export to a format that 3ds Max can use, or is there some plugin that lets Max open _d.3d files?

I would use 3D Object Converter, but it seems to change the UVW Mapping and it can't export all of the frames.

Last edited:

Superunknown II

Mar 23, 2008
Ok, if I'm understanding you correctly. I'm guessing this (removing the staff or spear from the Krall's hand) has upset the texture map for the model since there are now pieces missing the mesh.

What I would do is open up Photoshop (or an image editor of you choice) and add use the clone stamp, or the equivalent of what ever program you're using and fill in those areas where there are left over pixels for the staff with the Krall's skin/pigment.

And the other thing that comes to mind is that you might actually have to select, copy and paste those upside-down areas of the texture and reverse them *manually* so that they are right-side up, get me?

Last edited:

AlCapowned

Jan 20, 2010
I never thought of that. I'll give it a shot. :)

Edit: The krall's uvw mapping looks normal in 3ds max.

Last edited: