Unreal 2 vs. DooM III vs. Half-Life II

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orkin Man

Jul 31, 2000
Originally posted by ATR-SUNRISE
Doom 3 won't pose much of a threat as again that title doesn't hold much potential (you play it through, you meet your buddies on the net a few times and it's over :( ).

Do you honestly think that the people behind Doom3 are gonna leave us with something like that? True, the old Doom's were like that, and true they were quite boring after playing through them once, but you can't expect id, the people behind Quake to screw up an online game, after all they were the ones that revolutionized it. When id went from Doom to Quake online play only got better, and has with every Quake then after IMO. Why would id take a step back and produce something not worth playing online, it's almost a necessity nowadays. I know I'll be playing a whole hell of a lot of Doom3, if you choose to miss out so be it, but don't assume they're gonna screw something up that they have so much experience in.

Fuzzpilz

klkk
Jun 28, 2000
:noitacoL
I have no clue at all what Doom 3 is going to look like. There haven't even been any engine preview screenshots or anything, so it's quite impossible to say anything about what it'll be like. If it's really good, I hope id will finally come up with an editor that works at least half as well as UnrealEd does. I mean, all editors for the Quake 2/3 engines were/are impossible. Look at Worldcraft. You sometimes have to spend days while it's compiling, while UnrealEd never goes above two hours even if you have a really old machine. Look at Radiant. It's a bit better, but it's simply not logical. Quake 3, for example, has very little variety, but the levels do look good (although they quickly get old, like UT would if there were only Deck16 and Face clones), and I really have to appreciate the amount of work that has gone into doing these levels with this pile of uselessness.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
what a question

Damn difficult to predict which one will be the best game..
I've read about all games, and here's my opinion;

Unreal II: looks to be great!

LIke the new models and environments and the fact that unreal II will work with opengl instead of direct3D. Very good move.
Love the new aspect of facial animation. Very pleased to see a feature like that implemented.
New unreal II test levels (saw a couple of screenshots in an article) appear to be even bigger than unreals' massive levels (sunspire, spirevillage, bluff eversmoking etc etc etc) and afcourse ut's huge levels.
ONe thing i like about unreal series, the big open levels. Quake is cool ok, but the levels are most of the time, well.. claustrophobic.
Unreal tends to follow the doom trend(ho boy) and i like it.
Unreal is also very mystique, well.. people that worked on the unreal series prove to be very imaginative. LIke that. Think that unreal II will also be very.. impressive. Music sure as hell won't fail. :) unreal and UT series rules! (at the moment i'm listening to Hub5 from unreal. Wargate is pretty good too.)

Doom 3:
I don't know. This is gonna be one though puppy to judge. Original Doom was sorry IS great, 'cause of the unique fast paced gameplay and the zillion monsters at one time (hell revealed: + 6.000 monsters in 32 levels. You gotta like that)
Ok the new DOOM should be a new generation style of game, but i'd hate to see it turn out to be a half life game you know?
DOOM III has to be fresh, new but also it needs to harbor the feeling of the old doom; many monsters, great weapon balance, and fast gameplay. And please, no "bot like monsters from hell". Imagine that? a cyberdemon strafing around ya?
I can't wait until ID will release the DOOM test, this year don't know when. It will reveal much. Wether that's a good or bad thing, well.. we'll see. They'd better work their fucking butts off!

Half life II. I hope dm will be better. Half life dm is slow. Tried everything. Dm is slow. I get bored after 5 minutes.
Should it envolve gordon freeman once more? Don't think so. Again, instead of a sequel, something refreshing and original would be great. :) (one thing i really missed in half life was the lack of women. Only one model in standard hl.. the "sniper babe".. hm..:I

Return to wolfenstein: !!!!!!! i can't wait to see that one. Played this puppy back in 1993. I remember walking through those linear, horizontal levels, shooting dozens of stupid nazis fullbright levels, loved the "sprites" used.
Read many articles about RTCW. Looks great. How many pictures did they take with a digital camera? Forgot the number. Just look at the models and textures and features. This one is a winner!

But i guess somehow they all are.

I'm sure Unreal II and RTCW won't fail. Not to sure about DOOM III. Have to wait and see (and hope). Hl II don't know. Fans will like it.

Matthias Worch

Legend Entertainment
Jan 30, 2001
Centreville, VA
www.langsuyar.com
Dunno where you got your information from, but Unreal 2 on the PC will be focused on D3D :) But quite frankly you shouldn't be concerned with the API that the engine is going to use, U2 will run on the widest range of machines/cards available at the fastest possible speed - that's all that counts, isn't it :)
So far no Unreal 2 levels/models etc. have been revealed to the public, that includes screenshots of "test levels". All screenshots that HAVE been shown were from demo levels specifically made to show off new engine features - they don't represent Unreal 2 or any other game.

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
I must've misread

Maybe i did? i read this big article about unreal II, and yes i should have been more specific, i know those where test levels to show off the capabilities of the engine, and screenshots off so called levels and models (i've seen this guy with red-brown hair, 5000 poly count model) are from the "test" no demo available. I know, should've mentioned it.
BUt i'm sure unreal II will be an openglide based game, i'm really sure ! :I hm

oh yes, are you really the matthias worch from "Beyond Belief" for quake? really liked that episode for quake. Great work! Making chton vulnerable was also a very good move. :)But it has been a long time. You still play quake often?

Morph1ne.MX

Privately Owned Geek
Apr 23, 2000
Mexico City, MEXICO
BUt i'm sure unreal II will be an openglide based game, i'm really sure ! :I hm

Sorry to dissapoint you.

First there is nothing called OpenGlide. Second, Glide is dead. You heard of the death of 3Dfx, didn't you?

And third and more important, Tim Sweeney has specifically said that they are focusing now on DirectX 8 and are making full use of NVidia T&L capabilities. While i believe there will be some sort of experimental OpenGL support, the main API will be DirectX 8.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
ok made a mistake

Geez i hate it when they quote you on what you said :)

Ok, silly me, i 've reread the article and yes in my excitement i uhm... didn't remember it correcty yes indeed directx 8.0 and T&L capabilities off the geforce type of card.
ANd yes, i do know of the departure of 3DFX, Nvidia is the uhm.. ruler for now.
Humble apologies, there's nothing in your post that i didn't know off. I just uhm.. i'm mixed up ok? :)
i can't help it. I shouldn't be so impulsive sometimes.
glide still excists? or am i wrong again???

I'm honest here. I just forgot. tsjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj shame on me.

WiLD2

W4NG
To get back onto the point of which game each of us would prefer...

Unreal 2 vs. DooM III vs. Half-Life II

Well, I started way back in the Doom days, and played the game without a keyboard/mouse combo (it was strictly keyboard for me ;) ), then DooM ]|[ is definately a contender. I think I'll play that over Unreal 2. So it goes like this->

DooM ]|[
Unreal 2
Half-Life ][ then...
Deus Ex 2 (HOW COULD YOU FORGET ABOUT THAT?)

Also, how can you even put a Team Fortress game in with the likes of these? That is a totally different game-type, and a MOD to boot. Massively Multiplayer FPS games belong in this category more than TF2 does.

Zazicle

Jan 7, 2000
Visit site
Half-Life 2 will be the best of the three main ones (U2, D3, HL2.). Half-Life was easily the best single-player game since Ultima Underworld (1 and 2) and the original System Shock. Unreal1 was good, but not nearly as good as HL2 and I believe the sequels will follow the same pattern. Regarding D3, I don't think it'll be any good at all. iD have been going downhill since Q2 and I can't see that stopping. Q3 was a step backwards from Q2 and team Arena was dreadful.

[OF]AbsolUT

Novice
Mar 7, 2000
North Texas
Visit site
Zazicle, I guess everyone has there own opinion. I didn't like Half Life that much. Yes, it was great when it came out, but it just doesn't live up to being the best in my words. I don't know. Maybe it's the graphics (All the browns and reds). The story line was alright. DeusEx was allot better of a story line. But like I said, everyone has there own opinion.

TomCom

Mapper dude
Dec 9, 1999
www.mooyaka.com
to be honest I dont think halflife2 will be as big as the original. This is because I expect Valve will concentrate on the single player aspects of the game, and the multiplayer will be handled by team fortress 2 (sort of like unreal2 / unreal warfare). This would lead to lots of mods developed for TF2, but not for HL2.

it's just a theory mind :)

WiLD2

W4NG
Yeah, we all have our own opinions

Originally posted by TomCom
to be honest I dont think halflife2 will be as big as the original. This is because I expect Valve will concentrate on the single player aspects of the game, and the multiplayer will be handled by team fortress 2

1)Well, Half-Life was released over three years ago, people are definately waiting for the sequal. And I hope they focus on the single player aspect of the game, I really do because IMO the SP version of the game is the best part, you don't have cocky, loud-mouthed (fingered?) kids calling you down every time they frag you or you frag them repeatedly. Also, I think HL didn't have that great of online play, not even with TF.

2)The Team Fortress 2 team is still Valve so if Valve is going to do the single player aspects of the game, they are going to do the multi-player aspects of the game, as well. I'm not so much a fan of TF, unless it is spelled out UnF.

Jul 22, 2000
I think Unreal Warfare will 0wn TF2. But I also think Half Life2 will beat Unreal2. Halo will play more like Metal Gear Solid than a First Person Shooter tho.

7thPixel

Dot Com CEO
Feb 15, 2000
www.7thPixel.net
I never really got into Unreal at all, so I'm not that thrilled about another 1 player FPS coming along.

As much as I love my UT, I believe I'll love Halo even more :)

WiLD2

W4NG
Good question, BaTaTa

It was one that made me have to actually look something up. Here's what I found about the Deus Ex 2 engine.
from PlanetDeusEx' FAQ guide
So what engine will DX2 use? Well, while there haven't been any official announcements, it should be reassurring that whenever anyone asks the DX2 team this question the 'Big Three' are always mentioned. That is, Quake 3, Unreal 2, and Lithtech. One interesting comment from designer Ricardo Bare is that "we think that some of the technology we are considering will allow us to do some really great daylight/twilight scenes. " Oooh, scary!

And I, for one, am looking forward to this game, but I still want Half-Life ][ and Unreal 2 more than DooM ]|[

w2wh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.