UE1 - UT 3DS Max 'improper file format' error

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

AlCapowned

Jan 20, 2010
Hi. I've been trying to edit a few meshes for an Unreal 1 SP campaign that I'm working on with a friend. I've edited each of the Krall's frames with 3DS Max without any problems, and it works perfectly in game.

For some reason I get an 'improper file format' error whenever I try opening/importing either of the meshes I want to work with (the skaarj warrior and the relic of strength).

I used UTPT to export the meshes into .3d and .3ds format. Both of the skaarj models from Unreal and UT still give me the error. The original UT Relics and Dot's mod for Unreal also give me the same error.

I downloaded a trial for a 3D Object Converter, which gives me no errors when I open the Skaarj's _d.3d file or his .3ds file. I get a '274th polygon is bad' error when I open the relic's _d.3d file, but the converter still opens the file. It won't convert any of the files to a format I can use, as it's a trial. I noticed that the relic is missing a triangle near the hilt, but I don't know how to fix it.

I get an 'unexpected end of file' error when I tried to open the _d.3d files in UnrealFX.

Does anyone know why the files won't import properly? Are there any other programs that can properly export Unreal meshes in .3ds format? I've been trying to edit these for ages. Nothing I try has worked. :hmm:

Dante99

Feb 21, 2010
Hi. I've been trying to edit a few meshes for an Unreal 1 SP campaign that I'm working on with a friend. I've edited each of the Krall's frames with 3DS Max without any problems, and it works perfectly in game.

For some reason I get an 'improper file format' error whenever I try opening/importing either of the meshes I want to work with (the skaarj warrior and the relic of strength).

I used UTPT to export the meshes into .3d and .3ds format. Both of the skaarj models from Unreal and UT still give me the error. The original UT Relics and Dot's mod for Unreal also give me the same error.

I downloaded a trial for a 3D Object Converter, which gives me no errors when I open the Skaarj's _d.3d file or his .3ds file. I get a '274th polygon is bad' error when I open the relic's _d.3d file, but the converter still opens the file. It won't convert any of the files to a format I can use, as it's a trial. I noticed that the relic is missing a triangle near the hilt, but I don't know how to fix it.

I get an 'unexpected end of file' error when I tried to open the _d.3d files in UnrealFX.

Does anyone know why the files won't import properly? Are there any other programs that can properly export Unreal meshes in .3ds format? I've been trying to edit these for ages. Nothing I try has worked. :hmm:

Hi man, how do you can import models from Unreal 1 to 3dsmax?????
I can`t figure out how to do this... If you explain to me how to do the procedure, i will try to find a way for open the skaarjwarrior mesh.

Thanks