Mouse that can take a beating

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The G9 is $40 in several places. I'd wager most people here spent more on their mice than that.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
I have a Razor Deathadder that I have been using for a couple years. Best mouse I have used in a long time. The thing doesn't even show any wear and tear to the finish, like some mice do after much clicking and finger rubbing.

This. I used to be a 518 fan until I got the Deathadder. I don't think I'll ever switch to another mouse.

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000
i went thru 2 51os and 3 518s in 4 years. Do not buy them. i listened to these idiots recommend them and got burned again and again. They always fail at the point where the cord connects to the housing. If you are good at soldering, you may be able to deal with this.

Get the DeathAdder. Solid. Using the same one for 3 years now.

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
i went thru 2 51os and 3 518s in 4 years. Do not buy them. i listened to these idiots recommend them and got burned again and again. They always fail at the point where the cord connects to the housing. If you are good at soldering, you may be able to deal with this.

do you make a hand sign when you recommend the DeathAdder?

I'm just wondering.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000

Do you have barbells for fingers or something? :lol:

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I got the MX500 back when they were first released. When I came home off my mission I switched over to a G5, and I've been using that ever since. That MX500 still works, and my little brother uses it on a daily basis to play UT99.

I would never buy anything other than a logitech.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I've had the stock mouse that came with my old HP since 2006.
optical, 3 buttons, scroll wheel.

it's never failed.
and it was free :p

to this day, I don't understand why people pay money for fancy mice or keyboards with bells and whistles.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
to this day, I don't understand why people pay money for fancy mice or keyboards with bells and whistles.

For the bells and whistles, obviously..

Cheapo "came with the system" KB+M setups can work quite honourably, as in, not break, but they aren't exactly going to give you programmable buttons, Macro recording, super accurate mousing (high DPI), and they seldomly feel very.. luxurious, so yeah, people will pay extra for something thats nicer.

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
programmable buttons?
macro recording?
super accurate mousing??

unless you do professional editing for Pixar, I don't see how these features are any help to the average PC user. most of the suggestions ITT are "gaming" mice anyway; extra buttons won't make you better at games.
"feel luxurious" made me lol... unless your mouse is wrapped in suede or fine linen, my experience tells me that all mice feel the same regardless of what you paid.

Last edited:

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
friend of mine, the one who first got me to try World of Warcraft, he played using some fancy mouse to bind all sorts of macros and spell combos and whatnot.
that was about the most useful application I ever saw from someone who wasn't doing advanced drawing in Photoshop.

but the mouse is like a brick, imo. when I'm gaming, I tend to rough it up.
and mice get dirty.

if I got a "nice" mouse, I'd be afraid to do anything with it :B
seems to me that a fancy keyboard would go a lot further.

Deathmaker

Balanced
Mar 29, 2001
Manchester, England.
Aesthetics can be a factor, too. Form as well as function, imho.

My Saitek Eclipse keyboard is backlit blue, has silver keys in a black base, my black Razer Copperhead is lit up blue, My BenQ monitor is black with a silver bezel, and my Logitech Z4 speakers are black & silver too. They all match with my black case with a blue backlit fanbus and complement each other.

Nothing wrong with a coordinated system.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
programmable buttons?
macro recording?
super accurate mousing??

unless you do professional editing for Pixar, I don't see how these features are any help to the average PC user. most of the suggestions ITT are "gaming" mice anyway; extra buttons won't make you better at games.
"feel luxurious" made me lol... unless your mouse is wrapped in suede or fine linen, my experience tells me that all mice feel the same regardless of what you paid.

Actually, it does make a difference, in some games more than others admittedly, in a clouse quarters twitch shooter overall accuracy is seldomly all that important, but if you play something like say.. Red Orchestra, a good mouse with high DPI can make all the difference when trying to shoot than Kraut 500 meters away with your non-scoped rifle.

Also, the more handy buttons you have on a mouse (and that's not just good for gaming, i love the back and forward buttons on my mouse for browsing the net!), the less you have to remove your fingers from the WASD/Arrow keys to activate some other critical function, which means you can still move left or right whilst performing that function, whereas without the mouse buttons, your finger would be otherwise engaged reaching for another key on the keyboard.

And keyboard Macro keys speak for themselves, it's nice to have some extra buttons to attach stuff like speach commands to, or usefull Macro's, it definately comes in handy.

So honestly, what not to like? well the price maybe.. though you can get good mice and keyboards with some extra functions fairly cheap (it doesen't have to be the most expensive kit on the market for it to work), so that's not a big problem really.