Aside from Envy...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Neddaf

Just a flesh wound!
Jul 19, 2001
Los Angeles, California
How is the engine looking in terms of performance on todays computers?

I have no idea when its supposed to be, but does anyone have any idea of what the "minimum" specs will be? Even an estimate would be helpful.

Zygar

Resident doomnut.
Feb 19, 2005
New Zealand.
zygar.co.nz
It won't run on any card without support for SM3.0. (Shader Model 3.0)
So basically the only cards today that could run it will be the Geforce 6x00 series. Now, you can forget playing it on a 6200, just not going to happen. So that leaves the 6600 series and the 6800 series. A 6600 apparently gets around 20fps on a standard resolution with medium settings, so if you want to play it with a decent framerate, the 6800 series are pretty much your only option.
By the way, UEngine3 supports 64bit, multithreading, and SLi. So a computer with 4gb ram, a dual core 64bit processor, and a couple of Geforces will run it VERY nicely.

Zygar

Resident doomnut.
Feb 19, 2005
New Zealand.
zygar.co.nz
I think I read somewhere that it wasn't going to have support for SM2.0. Most cards that don't have SM3.0 will be too slow to run UE3 anyway, with the exception of the Radeon X800 series.
EDIT: Looking around, I may have my facts mixed up. I just read that you must have a DX9 graphics card or the game simply won't run. I probably mixed this up with some other information I picked up somewhere. Bah.

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Well maybe you should go back to that "somewhere" and refernce your sources ;)

It is early yet though, and graphical optimizations for smaller systems usually come last.

Bazzi

Wearing pink
Apr 22, 2001
Germany
www.bazzinet.info
Marketing anyone?

ATI's current high end cards don't support SM3, and those will likely be used in 2006 still.

Afterall, SM3 is more hype than anything else.... it doesn't turn an ugly game into a fancy one.

Bazzi

Wearing pink
Apr 22, 2001
Germany
www.bazzinet.info
You can compare SM2 vs 3 with AGP vs PCIe

Now there isn't much difference but there will eventually be some because not of more performance now but because of better technology/scalability.

But since they want to sell games to as many people as possible they have to support older generations of PCs.
And the main problem is that Ati cards with SM3 will be released in june/July so realistically available in Fall/Winter. Those people who bought an X800/X850 right now want to play UE3 games though. And since UT3 will still look almost as good with SM2 as with SM3 why forcing people to trash their newly bought $500 card?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Right now, with the engine running at full details on a Dual Core 64-bit Opteron system with 3 gb RAM and 2 SLI GF6800GTs they were clearly getting 25-35 consistently in the 1up videos.

That means for crap the next gen video cards are going to be the only ones running this sucker at full power.

They would be stupid, however, to not support the 9600Pro series forward, which is where much of the playerbase is likely to lie in 2006.

RaptoR

been here far too long
May 7, 2000
UK
www.androidcentral.com
Current builds of UE3 probably require SM 2 or 3, however you can expect this to change before Envy is released. Just as in UE2 games like 2k3/2k4, Epic will probably use fallback textures to allow the game to run on older cards with less advanced shader support.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I'm waiting as long as possible before I do any upgrading. My computer runs UT2004/HL2 fine and Far Cry/Doom3 decently, and I don't buy many games, so I don't have much to worry about much. Once UT3 comes along, I'm getting everything anew. Time to start saving up! It's gonna be so suite having a dual-core processor and two video cards... And I'm gonna be so poor! \o/ Has there been any talk of dual dual-core processors? :eek:

I wonder how many gigs of textures the game is gonna ship with... There's, what, 3+ in UT2004? Since UE3 is gonna be based so much on normal mapping and such, I'm predicting 10+ gigs of textures. :D

Turns2Ashes said:
I'm waiting as long as possible before I do any upgrading. My computer runs UT2004/HL2 fine and Far Cry/Doom3 decently, and I don't buy many games, so I don't have much to worry about much. Once UT3 comes along, I'm getting everything anew. Time to start saving up! It's gonna be so suite having a dual-core processor and two video cards... And I'm gonna be so poor! \o/ Has there been any talk of dual dual-core processors? :eek:

Yeah I agree, there is really no reason at all for me to upgrade right now. I can wait :)
I'll probably upgrade a month before the game ships. Man this is gonna be sweet :D